Hope for the expansion of humankind: a new earth-like planet discovered close

Page 1 of 6
isn't this crazy?
a whole new planet only 20 light years( speed of light=approximatley 182,000 mps) away that could possibly be inhabitable.
there might be enough oxygen in theatmosphere so we could breathe.
i saw this on a news site on the internet. what amazes me is how this story wasnt first page.
its 5X the size of our earth.
its got water, land, as far as we can see.
what if we couldlive on this planet, start fresh (or completely ruin that one too).
hell there might even be a whole new evolutionary chain thats already there.

too bad humans wouldnt even last half the journey of 20 light years.
has nobody else read about this?
am i the only astrophysics nerd on ug?

movie about it.
http://www.comcast.net/data/fan/html/popup.html?v=709894794&pl=709668617.xml&plc=709668617&launchpoint=Cover&cid=fancover&attr=default_headline&config=/config/common/fan/default.xml

article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=450467&in_page_id=1965
even if we could make it there, wouldnt others species already be inhabiting it?
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Quote by Timothym
20 lights years=not gonna happen, sorry.

i think people said something like that about going to the moon too.
I heard about this a while ago. It'll be a while before we get there.

Edit: No i didn't that was another one, in the system closest to us there's supposed to be an Earth like planet there too.
What if we get intercepted by Klingons on the way there and have an intergalactic war on our hands. Those guys were a real pain in the ass for the Federation in Star Trek, they may even be worse IRL.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by All_Bodies
i saw this on a news site on the internet. what amazes me is how this story wasnt first page.

Probably because it was discovered at least two months ago.
And it's still a bit far .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by All_Bodies

um, what dont you understand about LIGHT YEARS, we cant travel even remotely close to the speed of light

the moon is not even close to a fraction of a lightyear
if mankind got to the moon with the technology they had back then there is no reason why we couldnt get to this new planet in time
Wear the eye patch Bret, Wear the Funky Funky eye patch...

Quote by Tallman

You, sir, should be knighted.

Last edited by coolo : Today at 00:00 AM. Reason: ???
Let's worry about mars first, guys.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
I wanna go!!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Dirge Humani
Thing about the 20 light years thing, is that we are seeing 20 light years into the past when we look at it. For all we know, it could already be messed up in the present.

A lightyear is not a timeframe, But i am not sure how long ago in the past what we see is though.

And we probably will not be there in any of our lifetimes
Quote by coolo
if mankind got to the moon with the technology they had back then there is no reason why we couldnt get to this new planet in time

Yes...there is.

Assuming we could reach(which is night impossible) or surpass(actually impossible by modern physics laws) the speed of light, it would still take 20 years to get there. 40 for a round trip. That doesn't sound too much fun.
Quote by TEK34
A lightyear is not a timeframe, But i am not sure how long ago in the past what we see is though.

And we probably will not be there in any of our lifetimes

I know that it is not a timeframe, it is a judge of distance. But think about it, the light reaching us from that planet is at least 20 years old. That is, in effect, seeing 20 years into the past.
Quote by Timothym
20 lights years=not gonna happen, sorry.

I dunno, we'll likely master some sort of interstellar travel sometime in the next 100-300 years. It probably won't be in our lifetimes, though.
Quote by All_Bodies

Lets see, the moon is about 238,856 miles from earth.

20 Light years is approximately 117,572,507,463,700.

Quite a big distance leap to make in 40 years.
Quote by nt1440
um, what dont you understand about LIGHT YEARS, we cant travel even remotely close to the speed of light

the moon is not even close to a fraction of a lightyear

the point i was making was that science fiction now sometimes can be science fact in the future.
there was something about this on the history channel like a month ago, but they hadnt mentioned that they had found the third planet yet. they alluded to it might be there, though.

but if theres no life, there will be no breathable oxygen, so whatever. to teraform it, plus the time for the trip, humans wont last that long.

wow, this is a year old. theres no way its doable, or we would have heard follow ups since then. whatever, the universe doesnt need more humans.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by coolo

...... what cant ppl understand about the physical impossibilities about traveling there with any technology that will exsist in the next, i dunno, at least 1000 years?
Quote by coolo

You don't seem to understand just how far that is. One lightyear is 5878171478565.179 miles. Multiply that by 20.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by All_Bodies

This is a bit harder.
Basically. We get to the moon in less than a second at the light speed.
But lets assume that it takes us one second.
And it would take us 20 years at the same speed to get to this new planet.
There are 631.138.519 seconds in 20 years.
That's the amount of times that the earth - moon distance would enter in that space gap.

We will end up making it if we don't run out of natural resources and destroy ourselves along the way. But it will take us A LOT of more generations.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Apr 11, 2008,
Quote by goldmember1217
I dunno, we'll likely master some sort of interstellar travel sometime in the next 100-300 years. It probably won't be in our lifetimes, though.

am i the only one that got a big WTF? out of reading this?

on what grounds are you stating we will master space travel?
My bet is on the development of a wormhole creating thingy which will allow you to teleport to any part of the galaxy.
Yeah, I've been watching too many science fiction movies....
I think humans are just doomed, period.

No matter how far science goes, I just don't think we're gonna be able to avoid all the stuff that's piling up on us.
The.
I'm thinking,..Flux capacitor + Delorian + 88 mph = far enough into future we can just use the technology.....
Quote by Zugunruhe
there was something about this on the history channel like a month ago, but they hadnt mentioned that they had found the third planet yet. they alluded to it might be there, though.

but if theres no life, there will be no breathable oxygen, so whatever. to teraform it, plus the time for the trip, humans wont last that long.

the life could have evolved off of a completely different element.
we evolved to the earths conditions.

the life there(if real) could have evolved from those planets conditions.
No, we couldn't live on it. It being 5 times the size of Earth means 5 times the gravity. Which ill suspect only a select few people could live on that planet.
Not to mention getting to the planet. We are still studying the effects of low gravity on the human body, let alone no gravity. Then, there's the fact that we would need a sustainable energy source for everybody on the space ship - solar panels won't cut it when we move further away from the sun.
Then, of course, the journey, which you've already pointed out. But another factor is our studies on the effects of low gravity on the human body for such a long period of time.

Frankly, we're a long time away from anything like that. We will have to leave the Earth eventually, but some scientists say that we will eventually be able to live forever with the technology they expect to come around in a few centuries.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by All_Bodies
the life could have evolved off of a completely different element.
we evolved to the earths conditions.

the life there(if real) could have evolved from those planets conditions.
yea, i know. but breathable oxygen is a byproduct of life on earth, it wasnt around when life started on earth. if it had been around, carbon based life could have never started.

either way, theres no oxygen there unless carbon based life evolved there before about 1 billion years ago. and thats a longshot.
The only way to move to a point faster than light is not to go in a line. That is, make point A and B closer to each other. However, to do that we need to manipulate higher dimensions which just doesn't make logical sense.
Quote by dann_blood
No, we couldn't live on it. It being 5 times the size of Earth means 5 times the gravity. Which ill suspect only a select few people could live on that planet.
Not to mention getting to the planet. We are still studying the effects of low gravity on the human body, let alone no gravity. Then, there's the fact that we would need a sustainable energy source for everybody on the space ship - solar panels won't cut it when we move further away from the sun.
Then, of course, the journey, which you've already pointed out. But another factor is our studies on the effects of low gravity on the human body for such a long period of time.

Frankly, we're a long time away from anything like that. We will have to leave the Earth eventually, but some scientists say that we will eventually be able to live forever with the technology they expect to come around in a few centuries.

thats the other thing i thought about.
thats like putting 5x your weight on your back and walking around.
the aliens there would massacre us all with their technology from 5 lightyears away..... just sayin...... but seriously if there is a planet we could move to whos to say it doesnt alredy have ppl on it? or some other kind of being. cuz in my opinion i highly doubt that we are the only planet that has a living species on it. the universe is way to damn big to only have one planet with living creatures on it. 'aliens' may only be highly sophisticated beings from another planet similar to earth thats just more technologically advanced who are able to travel extreme distances that we see as impossible. i know big words but only cuz thats the only way to explain it lol
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by nt1440
am i the only one that got a big WTF? out of reading this?

on what grounds are you stating we will master space travel?

I'm not saying we will, I'm saying it's possible that easier, less expensive travel will become available sometime in the future due to advances in certain scientific fields. And I'm not saying we'll be able to travel distances up to any where near 20 lightyears by any means.
20 x 3x10^8

just nextdoor

But still very interesting , if we can reduce our mass down to that of a single particle we can be there in just over 20 years
Quote by dann_blood

This isnt accurate at all. Just because the planet is 5 times larger does not mean the gravity will be 5 times stronger.

For example:

Jupiter is 300 times the size of earth, however you would only weigh 2.3 times more

Saturn is roughly 100 times the size, yet you would weigh roughly the same.
Quote by blair30
This isnt accurate at all. Just because the planet is 5 times larger does not mean the gravity will be 5 times stronger.

For example:

Jupiter is 300 times the size of earth, however you would only weigh 2.3 times more

diameter, not mass. learn science.
Quote by Rocking-Rob
20 x 3x10^8

just nextdoor

But still very interesting , if we can reduce our mass down to that of a single particle we can be there in just over 20 years

This is something else that I've been thinking about...I've been thinking about absolute zero and how all atomic movement stops. Well...wouldn't that, in effect, condense the matter into a singularity...which would then make near-lightspeed travel possible?

Of course, these are just the musings of a 16 year old guy...
Quote by blair30

For example:

It's apparently made up of the same stuff as earth, which would give it the same density as earth, which would make it's gravity 5 times stronger.
Quote by Dirge Humani
This is something else that I've been thinking about...I've been thinking about absolute zero and how all atomic movement stops. Well...wouldn't that, in effect, condense the matter into a singularity...which would then make near-lightspeed travel possible?

Of course, these are just the musings of a 16 year old guy...

hmm

c=(E/m)^1/2 and as you increase the energy and eventually approach c, the mass starts to increase instead of your speed so you never actually reach c

now E=1/2(mv^2) and at absolute zero you have no velocity and hence no energy so if 2E/(v^2)=m that means when v is 0 your mass is infinite so its probably impossible