I'm currently in the proccess of writing of writing a string quartet (2 cellos, 2 upright basses) for my final project of the year in music composition class. The proccess I've been following got me thinking. I've always written music for my band (2 guitars, bass, drums) by jamming until we find a good groove and then solidifying it by writing it down and organizing it. That style of songwriting has always worked for me, but now that I have a formal knowledge of music growing I thought that it would make music for my band easier to write. When writing for strings or piano, I can just write out a melody, a harmony, and then type it into Sibelius and it will sound good. When I try that with electric instruments it just doesn't work. Does anyone else that write for both classical and "rock" instruments have such a problem?

BTW: I will definately post a video or audio of my performance of the quartet piece after we perform it on May 19.

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
well You gotta stay in the same key and play the notes of the chords ur using.

are you trying to write something that involves both electric guitars and chamber strings?
Wasted Bassist, I'm moving this to Musican's Talk. I think you'll get a bit more help in that forum.
I have a very good understanding how key signatures and chords work. I just can't transfer my knowledge of musical theory to guitars/bass.

And no, the piece for my class is just the two celli and two uprights. It's gonna be a very rythmic minor piece, but in the the sonata alegro form.

Ya, i actually had that same transition recently, just do kind of what you would do except obviously less chords and probably none in the bass. Also it helps to think about finger positions to be nice to the performers.

by the way, if you find you're interested in classical compositions check out some orchestration books if u didnt learn much of it in music theory, i actually just got done with a week long private study in composition for school and i read a lot and just some advice, use a music program if possible cause it always helps to hear what ur writing.

best of luck and if u have any more questions about composition PM and ill try to help
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
I wasn't thinking of making it classical at all really. I'm intending on making it fairly contemporary, just with classical string instrumentation.

Typing into Sibelius sounds good but your bands music doesn't? Maybe you should be a typist instead of a musician.
Quote by Wasted Bassist
I wasn't thinking of making it classical at all really. I'm intending on making it fairly contemporary, just with classical string instrumentation.
look at Jazz. You may be approaching your classical writing in part writing style...which obviously doesn't work with rock and such.

Look at how Jazz standards are constructed. It's simply chords and melody.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination