Hey dudes, I'm here in help for my vocalist. We basically just rock out covers to our favorite music for now but he says he can't extend his range or become a vocalist because you're born with a certain voice.

Now i know nothing about vocals but I told him bull****, I said to be great at something i t takes a ton of practice and he claims he does and he tries so hard but at the same time he always says he can't do it. Literally everything we say he says the same thing, "I can't"

Hes honestly the most negative person you can imagine... What can I say to him?

Godbless
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I've told him that it's just the person he is I guess....
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

scream at him...and kick him in the balls
We walked into the night

Am I to bid you farewell?

Why can't you see that I try
When every tear I shed

Is for you?
tell him to have the studio guys master his voice, make him sound great, and lip-sink your way to fame
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Make him listen to Tom Waits. Then say, "If this guy could be successful with that voice, you'll be fine."
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by metal_dan
sounds like its time for a new singer.

Everyone says that, but when you're teenagers it's hard to kick a friend out of a band.

Like hes my best friend hes awesome, but when it comes down to this situation in getting musical accomplishments down his attitude is complete crap.

you can do a lot with your voice, but you generally are born with a certain range, although it's usually bigger than most people think. It's all about learning how to effectively use and alter your voice. I suggest he take voice lessons, if you're still in high school tell him to try to get into the choir or something, I did that and helped a lot with my singing.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
tell him to stop being so pessimistic about it. a vocal range can expand if you practice enough. it takes a little time and effort but is worth it.
Hes in choir but refuses the lessons because.. You can't extend your range or make your voice better, remember?

Quote by tr3nt
Hes in choir but refuses the lessons because.. You can't extend your range or make your voice better, remember?

have him talk to his choir teacher, unless you have a cleft palate or some other physical defect that is bullshit and any good singing instructor would say so.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
tell him to sing along to albums that have lots of range. i suggest deloused in the comatorium, cedric has more range than he knows what to do with.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by snipelfritz
Make him listen to Tom Waits. Then say, "If this guy could be successful with that voice, you'll be fine."

Tom Waits has a great ****ing voice. Not technically brilliant, but that's not what is important to me.
From my experience, it's not amazingly hard to extend your vocal range. Just have your singer sing music that's higher or lower than what he normally does (depends on what you're shooting for), and after awhile, it'll become easier and easier to reach those notes. Same thing happened to me when I was made a tenor my last year of high school. I had been in the bass section up until then and had probably a baritone range. I was moved to tenor and a couple months later, the high notes were a lot easier to hit. Though, because I didn't use them, my lower register lost some of it's power. Now, I'm back to baritone, probably, because I don't sing as much as I used to.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton