Page 1 of 2
Well, I got a call from my pedal guy today saying the Carbon Copy was (finally) in, and so I got there as soon as I could and plugged this puppy up. I was told right from the start that it was absolutely awesome and was the only pedal everyone in the store agreed on. So I plugged it in and played around with it, and it sounds just as good, if not better, than all the hype made it out to be. It sounds amazing. Needless to say, I bought it and I'm going to dump my Red Repeat.

Here's the pictures:

Haha

Definitely the most complicated circuit I've ever seen, and that's just the back

Right, review. As you probably already know, it's a sexy little Phase 90 sized all analog delay, 600ms, sparkly green, modulation with internal trim pots for depth and speed, and gig-worthy super bright blue LEDs. The tone is absolutely gorgeous, very warm and rich and lush and sexy, there's infinite ways to describe how good it sounds. I like it (almost) as much as the $400 T-Rex Replica, and more than the (also $400) Carl Martin Delayla.

The three controls are Regen, which is the amount of delays, Mix, which is wet and dry signal (this doesn't go to 100% wet, just 50/50, so it acts basically as a volume of the delays), and Delay, which is delay time, 20ms to 600ms. You can get a really nice slapback sound, a nice pseudo reverb, and long, gorgeous delays. The modulation is subtle, but it adds a lot. Playing with the Regen knob is what will get you all the funky sounds. You can get a nice robot sound, and with it all the way up it immediately self oscillates and gets very loud, very fast. With the delay down and Regen up you get those lovely loud squeaks, which sound very spacey with the modulation on and when you play with the Delay knob.

My only beef with this pedal is that the two trim pots for the modulation are tiny, you need a 2mm screwdriver to get to them. Of course this isn't a big issue, I'm just used to much larger Barber sized trim pots.

So overall, this pedal is absolutely amazing, you can't get a better analog delay for the price. BUY IT!!!

The end.

Edit: New pic
Last edited by Twevo at Apr 12, 2008,
Good review, how would you say this compares to an Ibanez AD9?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I really liked the AD9, but the delays time was so short it made me sick, this is 100% more worth the price. Tone-wise, the AD9 is very good, but this is definitely better. If delay time isn't an issue and you don't mind a (tiny) bit less tone with the AD9, then it's a battle between pink and sparkly green.
I got to play around with one today too. Really nice pedal, love the tone. I've been spoiled a bit by my Rocktron delay (the new digital destiny model or w/e its called), so I do have one complaint about this one: I really wish the Carbon Copy had a tap tempo button. I really love having tap tempo; keeping my delay in lockstep with my playing is important for me. That said, it's still one of the best analog delays I've tried. Great pedal, 9/10.
^ I've never personally experienced tap tempo, but I would really like a delay with that. I'm planning on eventually getting the T-Rex too, which does have tap tempo, but that won't be for a long while.
Sig needs changing Trev!

Nice pedal btw. How would you compare the delay to that of the DMM?

EDIT: forgot to add the old classic
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Is that one of the trimpots right under the button for Mod? Or is it a button? If not, where are the trimpots (or the other one at least?)? Also, sound clips. Nao.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
^^ I've never actually tried a DMM, but from what I hear it's about on the same level (some would say it's better), and it's half the price. You do the math.

^ Do you mean the LED under the Mod button? I think you do. The trim pots are on the backside of the circuit board, you have to take off the back plate to get to them. I still need to play with those.

I'll try to get sound clips up soon to appease the masses
Quote by Twevo
^^ I've never actually tried a DMM, but from what I hear it's about on the same level (some would say it's better), and it's half the price. You do the math.

^ Do you mean the LED under the Mod button? I think you do. The trim pots are on the backside of the circuit board, you have to take off the back plate to get to them. I still need to play with those.

I'll try to get sound clips up soon to appease the masses

Yeah, I mean the LED. What kind of modulation is it, can you describe it? Also, is it hard to take the back plate off?

Also, yay for sound clips
Quote by Lunchbox362
Hmm... It can't really be described as just a chorus or vibrato, mostly because it's so subtle. It might stand out a little more when I tweak it, I haven't had time yet. Probably the best way to describe it is that it simulates the fluttery sound of a tape echo quite well. I find myself leaving it on most of the time.
Still no Carbon Copy in your sig . . . . . . .
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
^ Happy now?

Oh yeah, back plate is just 4 screws, nothing too hard.
Quote by Twevo
^ Happy now?
Very
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by mr_hankey
Cool.

I want one.

Yeah, I'm thinking of maybe getting one too (although Tap Tempo would be nice). But that's after I get a new guitar, so might be sometime next year.
Quote by Lunchbox362
**** me sideways

Edit: Like what the ****, it actually uses all of those parts? Goddammit.
Quote by Lunchbox362
The PCB looks so complicated....

I want one tooooooo - this or EHX stereo memory man w/ hazarai?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Where are the trimpots? Are they on the other side or do I just not notice them very well do I now damn I should go to sleep.
Quote by Lunchbox362
I'm really tempted to sell my DD-20 and get one of these. Board space is limited and though I love having 5 presets with the DD-20, I think I'd give that up for superior sound quality/smaller footprint.

Somebody convince me to get a Carbon Copy
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
I'm really tempted to sell my DD-20 and get one of these. Board space is limited and though I love having 5 presets with the DD-20, I think I'd give that up for superior sound quality/smaller footprint.

It may not have presets like a DD-20, but it's not cold as ice either. It has tone out the wazoo, better than a DMM (which is twice the price).

And whoever asked about this or the SMMH, that really depends on whether you want beautiful, analog delays, or a more versatile, less tone-a-licious pedal.
Quote by BrainDamage

Get one or I'll bash your head in with a metal pipe and gag you with an MG circuit board.

>_>

<_<

Quote by Twevo

5 minutes later...

Quote by Twevo
It has tone out the wazoo, better than a DMM (which is twice the price).

I smell honeymoon period

I want to try one of these. Don't think I'd replace my DMM with one, I'd miss the level knob, and, well, the DMM's sexier. Besides, I think if I buy another delay I'll get a DL4 for some digital mojo... hmmm....
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by timi_hendrix
I smell honeymoon period

same. i mean it obviously sounds like a very nice pedal, but im always skeptical of stuff that people review after having it for a short time. i really wanna try one out, but i dont think it will replace my ad-9.
True on the honeymoon thing, but this pedal made everyone that works at my local music store, who normally can't agree on any pedal, come together as one, it's the only thing they agree on. There's some audio demo's on youtube if you don't believe me
Quote by timi_hendrix
I smell honeymoon period

I want to try one of these. Don't think I'd replace my DMM with one, I'd miss the level knob, and, well, the DMM's sexier.

Yeah, +1

It looks cool. In fact, I'd put on the gift list for my son, but I don't see it replacing my DMM, either. I love the level knob, and even put the vibrato to use. Just by the description of the Carbon Copy, it sounds like the knobs on the DMM go much further. That's one of the things I love that about EHX pedals.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Twevo
True on the honeymoon thing, but this pedal made everyone that works at my local music store, who normally can't agree on any pedal, come together as one, it's the only thing they agree on. There's some audio demo's on youtube if you don't believe me
Yeah everything I've heard about this thing has been positive, with the exception of the modulation being too subtle for some. That doesn't really bother me at all, but word on the street is that you can just take out one resistor (I'd have to look up which one) to make the modulation a little more prominent. I don't know anyone who has done that yet though.

EDIT: By the way, ProGuitarShop did a youtube demo of the Carbon Copy.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage

get one. but don't sell your dd-20. two delays is awesome, especially if you use them for different things. i go from a dsd-3 tweaked for longer delays (i don't need the extra time, but i like the graininess it gives the repeats) into a headrush. gives so many more options, and i'm still planning on getting another delay (maybe a timefactor or a nova).

i think you'd regret getting rid of the dd-20, because you'd lose a lot of versatility and awesome things like tap tempo. but second delays are a sensible thing. screw the board footprint, just get a bigger board. and besides, i mean, what do you really need on there other than dirt and delay? nothing.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i think you'd regret getting rid of the dd-20, because you'd lose a lot of versatility and awesome things like tap tempo. but second delays are a sensible thing. screw the board footprint, just get a bigger board. and besides, i mean, what do you really need on there other than dirt and delay? nothing.

Booster? More dirt? Wah?
Quote by mr_hankey
Booster? More dirt? Wah?

well, more dirt goes without saying. but you know what i mean. dirt pedals and delay pedals are the ones that really matter, so you should totally have more than one delay on there.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
get one. but don't sell your dd-20. two delays is awesome, especially if you use them for different things. i go from a dsd-3 tweaked for longer delays (i don't need the extra time, but i like the graininess it gives the repeats) into a headrush. gives so many more options, and i'm still planning on getting another delay (maybe a timefactor or a nova).
I'd be selling my DD-20 in order to pay for a Carbon Copy. If I went with a Carbon Copy, I'd probably end up with a second delay when I could come up with the money.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
i think you'd regret getting rid of the dd-20, because you'd lose a lot of versatility and awesome things like tap tempo. but second delays are a sensible thing.
After thinking about it, I do love having the presets, but I don't really use anything other then analog or tape, and I never need multiple presets in one song. I rarely use the tap tempo, so that's not a big deal to me.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
screw the board footprint, just get a bigger board. and besides, i mean, what do you really need on there other than dirt and delay? nothing.
I can't exactly get a bigger board because well, I don't have the money for one and I don't have the time/money to build one. I use a wah, phaser and flanger. Then I have three (soon to be four) OD/distortion pedals, one of which is a Big Muff that takes up a decent amount of space. So put a DD-20, Electric Mistress, and Big Muff on one board along with four other pedals and space runs out pretty quick.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage

I can't exactly get a bigger board because well, I don't have the money for one and I don't have the time/money to build one. I use a wah, phaser and flanger. Then I have three (soon to be four) OD/distortion pedals, one of which is a Big Muff that takes up a decent amount of space. So put a DD-20, Electric Mistress, and Big Muff on one board along with four other pedals and space runs out pretty quick.

Ouch, that thing's gotta be massive.
sounds cool!
i wanted to try one yesterday..but they didnt have it there

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by BrainDamage
I'd be selling my DD-20 in order to pay for a Carbon Copy. If I went with a Carbon Copy, I'd probably end up with a second delay when I could come up with the money.

After thinking about it, I do love having the presets, but I don't really use anything other then analog or tape, and I never need multiple presets in one song. I rarely use the tap tempo, so that's not a big deal to me.

i guess i'm just not a pedalboard kinda guy. my effects live in a big jumble in a couple of bags. probably not the most practical set up, and does mean i spend ages setting up, but what can i say, i'm too poor to spend money on pedalboards when i could be spending it on pedals... besides, it means i avoid the big pedalboard dilemmas.

i see what you mean about the space thing though, and more importantly, about the cost. i just think it'd be more sensible to hang onto the dd-20 and get this when you can afford it. i guess i feel that its better to keep the same amount of options or increase the amount of options than to decrease that amount...
Quote by BrainDamage

Dude, if thats what you're using the DD-20 for, RUN, don't walk to your nearest music store and buy the Carbon Copy.
Srsly.
^^Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I want a Carbon Copy. The CMATMODs Deeelay looks tempting as well.
Quote by Thefallofman
Page 1 of 2