I'm not asking what models I should buy (I'd probably go with the Yamaha GigMaker or C40R), I am asking however, if I'd get the same benefits of improved finger strength from either guitar. I've been playing electric since last July, it's coming along okay, but I'm very much interested in improving my technique and I figured that getting an acoustic or classical would make my fingers stronger (as well as make me want to practice chords more on a regular basis) and help my vibrato/bending and legato abilities on an electric guitar. Anyone got some advice?
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Go for an standard acoustic, a classical guitar is typically strung with nylon strings, meaning that they won't do anything for your finger strength.
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
a standard acoustic all the way...classical guitars have far less tension.
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
I would personally go for the classical guitar. But that's mainly because I love the sound and the feel of playing one. If you want to work on finger strength though, go with the standard acoustic
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
What i did to improve finger strength was restring a standard acoustic with thick electric guitar strings. Pretty soon you'll have strong fingers, but it hurts at first. Just a suggestion....
Finger strength, bending, and vibrato aren't going to receive any benefits playing classical. Although if you play classical you'll probably get alot better at odd chord formations and fingerpicking. Under the initial things you wrote down, however, the standard acoustic is by far the better choice.
You sound like you're going to be playing things more oriented towards the acoustic guitars, so go with that.

Though since I'm a biassed classical guitarist, I'd say, that classical guitar, having a formal school and standard technique, can do more for your physical technique than acoustic stuff. Especially the right hand.

But I'm just an elitist. Learning anything is good as long as what you learn is correct.
The wider fretboard of the classical also won't help if you transition back to electric or regular acoustic. The simplest thing would be to restring your electric with thicker strings.