Today at work, a coworker of mine who has played guitar/banjo in a band, has done recordings, etc offered to sell me an old Vox AD30. He speculated it at 25 years old. He says $200 and it's mine. My questions/concerns:

He says it's a solid state amplifier, and I was looking towards a tube, but I hear great things about the Vox AD30 and he claims it sounds amazing. I assume he's correct since those "vintage" type things tend to be well put together.

It's "25 years old"; do you think it's worth buying such an old amp?

Tomorrow, I will bring my Fender to his house to try it out and see how it goes. This is just a preliminary thread to get the gist of it. What's the general opinion regarding this amplifier? Worth it or not? Any help or information would be nice. I play rock, classic rock, classic metal, and some blues.

All help appreciated!

EDIT: Think he might've said Vox AD30 or 50, not AC.
Last edited by XxGibsonSGxX at Apr 11, 2008,
Well the AC30 is a tube amp and always has been as far as I know... did you take a look at the back where the tubes would be?
I've never heard of a solid state AC30... he's probably either full of **** or has the wrong amp model.
There is no such thing as a SS AC30. Sounds to me like he's full of fecal matter.
Quote by angevinedb2
Solid state? That doesn't sound right. I'm not completely familiar with Vox's history but I'm nearly certain there was never an SS AC30. Do you mean AD30? Or AD50?

Well, if it really is 25 years old, they didn't make Valvetronixes back then.
Whoops my bad I think it was the Vox AD30 or 50...he didn't specify but kind of made a visual of the amp; I place it to be about the size of a VK 212, around there perhaps.
Quote by yeahyeah

Wow. You learn something new every day
That might be the one yeahyeah, I'll have to look at it!

It says Queen used this...and I love Brian May's tone! Hmmm...if everyone looks at that link yeahyeah posted...could you tell me what you think of the listed specs? Perhaps it will influence an educated decision for some?
I can't tell you much but Fane speakers are usually very desirable. I don't know if the particular model used in the ss AC30s is as good as other Fanes but who knows. Def check on the speakers in it though. And if it is in working condition then $200 seems like a decent price.

Bottom line- if it sounds good to you then get it
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
If it sounds good to my ears, i'd buy it
Also if it does have decent Fane speakers, i'd invest in it

EDIT: Glancing at your avatar, do NOT expect this to pull of SOAD or similar music...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Let me ask this: if anyone here had this oppurtunity, would they buy it? I mean, it seems like a good deal.

Well, since you seem to keep refering to it as an AD50 or 30, I'm a little worried that he's trying to pass off a cheap, beat up Valvetronix as something nicer. Look at the controls. If there's delays, modulation, pedal models, and amp models, it's a first-gen Valvetronix (which isn't a terribble amp), but no AC30.

It's worth asking what kind of music you're looking to play.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Well, since you seem to keep refering to it as an AD50 or 30, I'm a little worried that he's trying to pass off a cheap, beat up Valvetronix as something nicer. Look at the controls. If there's delays, modulation, pedal models, and amp models, it's a first-gen Valvetronix (which isn't a terribble amp), but no AC30.

It's worth asking what kind of music you're looking to play.

I just forgot what exact model he specified it as. I assume it's no Valvetronix, as this guy is ohhh....66 years old. He's what you'd call a veteran, I think. He said he picked up in the early 80's in England when he lived there. (Yes that's right, he's British)
If it is indeed that SS AC30, I'd pick one up for that price. It won't replace the real thing, but it looks like a cool amp.
Quote by Roc8995
If it is indeed that SS AC30, I'd pick one up for that price. It won't replace the real thing, but it looks like a cool amp.

I definitely would, but probably not in your position. Looking at the music you play, i wouldn't think it would suit you particularly...
MAYBE with an overdrive
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^I've already got two awesome amps for OD, I'd just get that for the clean tremolo tone, since I don't have an amp with tremolo. I wouldn't expect it to sound that great overdriven, even with a pedal. I certainly wouldn't expect it to outperform a vintage Marshall tube or "The greatest amp eve"!
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by Roc8995
^I've already got two awesome amps for OD, I'd just get that for the clean tremolo tone, since I don't have an amp with tremolo. I wouldn't expect it to sound good overdriven, even with a pedal.

I was reffering to being in the TS's shoes
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by Roc8995
^That makes more sense. I'm an idiot.

Ahaha Easy mistake to make
Whats your second amp out of curiosity?
Just seeing your boutique Cage i'm intrigued into what the second awesome amp is
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

It's a mid/late 80s Marshall Studio 15. Two 6v6s, two 12AX7s, built-in attenuator, first amp to have a Vin30. Sounds like a Silver Jubilee. It's my "practice amp," though it pushes 35 watts flat-out (just a bit less than the Cage) and could easily be gigged. I like overkill.
Quote by Roc8995
It's a mid/late 80s Marshall Studio 15. Two 6v6s, two 12AX7s, built-in attenuator, first amp to have a Vin30. Sounds like a Silver Jubilee. It's my "practice amp," though it pushes 35 watts flat-out (just a bit less than the Cage) and could easily be gigged. I like overkill.

Wow, sounds sweet
Thats your practice amp? You make my gear look so insignificant and shoddy
Any pics?
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Looks cool!
I expect to see a thread about the build
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^ We've been giving you free bumps all this while - be thankful!
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by angevinedb2
Solid state? That doesn't sound right. I'm not completely familiar with Vox's history but I'm nearly certain there was never an SS AC30. Do you mean AD30? Or AD50?

I've actually seen a solid state AC30. It was next to the AC120 i played a Rickenbacker 325 through in london. I think they were solid state for a while in the 1970s and '80s.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
^ We've been giving you free bumps all this while - be thankful!

This is true...I appreciate it!

I've actually seen a solid state AC30. It was next to the AC120 i played a Rickenbacker 325 through in london. I think they were solid state for a while in the 1970s and '80s.

I take it you didn't play it?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
This is true...I appreciate it!

I take it you didn't play it?

sadly no, i didn't think to try it out at the time
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp