Page 1 of 2
Is it true that a band with a gimmick and less talented could be a lot more successful than the band that is awesome skill-wise, but just doesn't that thing that let's people remember them?
Usually, the order for successfulness is:

Playing the currently popular genre > gimmick > playing an already-well established genre, bringing nothing new to the table > playing with skill > being avant-garde > playing classical music

For me, that list should be completely backwards.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by The_Shape
Any examples?
I'm of the opinion that the whole 'retro' thing is fairly gimmicky, and many of them (Wolfmother, JET) have found success.
Quote by The_Shape
Any examples?

... you have to have examples? just look at what alot of people listen to. If you really want to listen to really good music you have to look off the beaten path.
Quote by Flying Couch
I'm of the opinion that the whole 'retro' thing is fairly gimmicky, and many of them (Wolfmother, JET) have found success.

Yes, but that would fit better in the "playing an already-well established genre, bringing nothing new to the table" category better.

I'd say that Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson are better examples of gimmick-based music. To a lesser degree, Kiss and Ozzy too.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
*cough* Kiss *cough*

even though they didwrite a good song... cant really say they were the most skillfull musicians
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by Reject_666_6
Yes, but that would fit better in the "playing an already-well established genre, bringing nothing new to the table" category better.

I'd say that Alice Cooper and Marilyn Manson are better examples of gimmick-based music.
Yeah, you've got much better examples. Much as I love the Cooper, he's pretty gimmicky.
Example of Skill would be the guys from Between the buried and Me, while they are highly praised in the Metal community outside of that they are still pretty unknown.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Quote by Bleed Blue
yes, unfortunately

Not always unfortunate. You don't need talent to be good, just needs to come from the heart.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by The_Shape
Any examples?

Sum 41, Dave Baksh is a good guitarist, but because of the audience they were trying to reach (and the fact that Deryck was the main songwriter), he could not play the metal that he wanted. Listen to his solo on The Hell Song, you can clearly tell that he was holding back when he was playing with Sum 41,
Sadly. Some people would consider The Misfits to be a gimmick. I love the misfits no matter how simple their music maybe I still love it.. I don't even know why I am posting actually
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
Quote by Mattalac
Not always unfortunate. You don't need talent to be good, just needs to come from the heart.

well said
Quote by Sound Mind
Sum 41, Dave Baksh is a good guitarist, but because of the audience they were trying to reach (and the fact that Deryck was the main songwriter), he could not play the metal that he wanted. Listen to his solo on The Hell Song, you can clearly tell that he was holding back when he was playing with Sum 41,

Ha, listen to The Bitter End, 88, Pain for Pleasure and Moron. Now those are some of his best!
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Weird Al
Dragonforce
Billy Idol
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
if people enjoy a band, it is successful. people like to see new things, and gimmicks are often very original. who cares if theyre not as technically difficult?
I have no opinion on this matter.
^^ exactly, as long as its a good listen, who cares?

i hate when people hate bands just cuz they're not technical
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Yes

Kiss, ACDC, Slash (I know his just a musician, but his pretty much a walking gimmick), The Beatles, Pink Floyd even. Actually id say every famous band, well ever has had some sort of gimmick. These bands were all great musically, but even so, they still needed a gimmick to be remembered, all bands do really. The fact is the gimmick could be musical anyway. But really if you think about it what made people remember these bands was the fact they just had something different personality wise (Kiss with the blood spitting, Slash with being a poser, Beatles with there atractivness and rebel spirit ((at the time)), Pink Floyd with there light shows and amazingly different sound and lyrics).
Quote by ViperScale
... you have to have examples? just look at what alot of people listen to. If you really want to listen to really good music you have to look off the beaten path.

I just wanted to see what artists people consider to be gimmicky and successful at the same time...
Quote by pwninator123

Nobody said that gimmicks couldn't be technical, if that's what you mean. Take Dragonforce, for example.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Most people don't care about insane guitar skill or songwriting mastery they just listen to whatever is catchy that they can sing along to. IMO, the bands that have both talent and playability are the best.
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
Examples?

Modern day Avril > Rusty Cooley

In terms of success.

That's a pretty good example.
Quote by lithiumftw
i am actually lolling right now!!! lmao!

After 1 and a half long years, someone laughed at one of my posts.

F*CK YEAH
absolutely. its a fact of life. Succsessful bands entertain people. Showmanship sells. simple as that.
You are not a slave...
lets see here. no one mentioned two of the worse bands in existance that have extreme fame. Slipknot with their 19 drummers and clowns that beat trash cans and their masks. then we have Avenged Sevenfold. that stupid name thing to try and make themselves sound evil or in my opinion gay and playing boring repetitive riffs that are for some reason considered amazing when most could learn one pretty easily.
Gear:
1982 Washburn T-bird
2007 BC Rich Warbeast
i know im gonna get molested by leatherface for saying this. but Buckethead seems very, very gimmicky to me. who wears a mask all the time and a bucket on his head? its like Slipknot, only he can play and i like his music.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Slipknot. They got to where they are by damn "metalheads" saying "lulz they hav teh maskz tharts metal/metal lol"

Quote by Feel bad inc.
... Slash ...

How dare you...
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
KISS?

Honestly though, consistency and publicity make a band. If you are unable to hype a show and deliver a solid performance, then either the band won't last long or will be unknown. There are of course exceptions (GnR) but by and large, those make a band.
Slayer is a prime example of one big gimmick. The person who writes their satanic lyrics is an atheist, and their vocalist is a roman catholic christian. How much more gimmicky can you get?
Yes...you only need half the talent. The other half is in the image. Remember, you got to find a crowd that you can sell to.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Quote by p o e
i know im gonna get molested by leatherface for saying this. but Buckethead seems very, very gimmicky to me. who wears a mask all the time and a bucket on his head? its like Slipknot, only he can play and i like his music.

yeah, but i think the fact that Buckethead is insanely, amazingly uber-talented at playing the guitar, is enough to make up for the gimmicky nature
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Everyband has a Gimmick

Angus young's school boy suit

Slash's hat

ZZ Tops Beards

KISS' comic book status

David Bowie being Ziggy Stardust

then you have new bands

Good Charlotte's Make up, piercings and tattoos

Averil Laveine(Or how ever u spell her gay name)'s Attempt at punk
Quote by pwninator123

QFT
I mean, look at Tenacious D. Kyle Gass is the bomb.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Kill your friend, kill your friend's girlfriend, then kill the person she's cheating on him with. Then rape all three of them, then kill yourself, then rape yourself.

Member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club
Gimmicks help people get interested too. If there was 2 bands that you had never heard of and one was 4 average suburban white kids, and the other was 4 three-armed green skinned midgets from Antarctica then you would automatically be more interested in the second band, even if they sucked and the other band kicked ass.
Quote by NovaLau
QFT

what's that mean?
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6