One of my friends is interested in getting a bass soon so we can jam. He already plays saxaphone and keyboard and tried guitar so he wants to get the best possible gear for the price.

Of course the problem is we don't have thousands to spend on guitars lol.

Anywho he doesn't have a specific budget but think it's around $200 to $300.
He plays a lot of classic rock influenced styles and maybe alternative but pretty much anything except really heavy metal.

Any ideas if there are any band worthy bass amps that can get over drums at that price as well as a decent guitar?

I don't think there would be anything too great for the price, but a quality guitar and amp that'll work would be good any recommendations?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Check out the FAQ, but I really need to inject a dose of reality. That budget will get you a decent starter bass and a practice amp, barely. Even going used its going to be extremely difficult to get any amp that is going to be able to compete with a drummer, no less a guitar and drummer with that entire budget. And you would still need a bass.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
^ No your right, it wouldn't be enough, that's why we only have an estimate for the budget right now. We're willing to spend more if needed though, now that you mention it. How much would he need to spend at least for a usable rig?

I suppose at this point I should just be asking what the most well priced bass rig is.

Edit: Completely different note but that's a great avatar anarkee it's from Interstella555?
We're planning on doing some DP covers hopefully.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by zeppelinpage4
^ No your right, it wouldn't be enough, that's why we only have an estimate for the budget right now. We're willing to spend more if needed though, now that you mention it. How much would he need to spend at least for a usable rig?

I suppose at this point I should just be asking what the most well priced bass rig is.

Edit: Completely different note but that's a great avatar anarkee it's from Interstella555?
We're planning on doing some DP covers hopefully.

I would add at least another 400 - 500 USD to that budget be able to get a good entry level bass and decent amp to gig with. And again, don't dismiss used. And I'll let the others in forum chime in with suggestions, but do check out the FAQ. And avoid Behringer. Their amps look like big bang for the buck but are anything but.

And yes, the avatar is from Interstella5555. Along with playing bass, I am a bit of an anime freak. Interstella5555 kind of brings those two worlds together nicely. And I really like Leiji Matsumoto's work, esp. Captain Harlock.