I'm a noob to guitar. I've always wondered why people feel the urge to get so many pedals? Are they really that good? I've really only used my guitar and the built in effects in my combo.

Please expatiate on reasons as to why you would want pedals.
they do some cool stuff. where would Rage Against the Machine be without pedals?

i'll tell you where.

no where.

fakeLOL
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
when people want to play RATM stuff.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
pedals are good for playing live. if you want to switch from distortion to clean in the middle of a song, its much easier to step on a pedal than to stop and press a button.
You are not a slave...
you prob have a line 6. so you suck

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by darkarbiter7
when people want to play RATM stuff.

Or Van Halen.
Or Steve Vai.
Or Joe Satriani.
Or Zakk Wylde.
Or Dimebag Darrel.
Or Mike Stern.
Or Jeff Loomis.
Or *cough*RATM*cough*
Or Slash.
Or Jimi Hendrix.
Or Dream theater.
Or Mars Volta.....

You get my point
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by timzee117

you talking to me? if so, I have a B-52, so suck it.
You are not a slave...
Quote by timzee117

Joke's on you, bitch. I have a Vox AD50VT.
I like Fuzz, I also like cool sounds. Personally pedals make me more creative, if a guitar and an amp does you fine thats great, I just find it fun to tweak my fuzz pedals and get cool sounds and tones which inspires me to play something different.

If you feel unsatisfied with your guitar or feel you can't get the music from your head, I'd look into pedals, if not well thats great.
Quote by Shinozoku
Or Van Halen.
Or Steve Vai.
Or Joe Satriani.
Or Zakk Wylde.
Or Dimebag Darrel.
Or Mike Stern.
Or Jeff Loomis.
Or *cough*RATM*cough*
Or Slash.
Or Jimi Hendrix.
Or Dream theater.
Or Mars Volta.....

You get my point

Yeah, but RATM kind of relies on their effects a bit more than those other guys.
Imo, of course.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by timzee117

I have a line 6 because I can't afford to push $50+ dollars for a separate pedal to run through a nice Peavey or Fender amp. Some people can't afford a million pedals running through a big amp. Line 6 makes things alot easier. Despite they sound like **** and have zero tone.
Quote by RazorbackDevil
This man is cool in my book. He apparently likes boobs as much as me.
Quote by cerveza
as does that one.
+1
Quote by .Will.
+100
Quote by Lamrick21
yeah ill +1 that one.

i smell a hate thread brewing!
You can control effects in the middle of a song. Plus there is no amp that has EVERY effect that pedals have been made to do.
I get it. I was just wondering why it was necessary for all those pedals. I mean, a few, I can easily understand, but I'm looking at people's gear lists, and holy ****.

Well, I don't have nearly enough money, so I'll still stick with the pedal that comes with my Vox.
Quote by GeekInThePink
You can control effects in the middle of a song. Plus there is no amp that has EVERY effect that pedals have been made to do.

very true.

pedals allow a guitarist to change effects in the middle of a song without having to mess with the amp. you can go from the sound of jazz guitar to the sound of death metal in one step, or you can combine effects to create your own sound
When i die, i wanna be burried upside down...so that anybody who doesnt like me can kiss my ass.

marilize leguana!
My rig is just Guitar -> Maxon OD808 -> Amp. Not a whole lot of pedals. I'm a blues guy who just needs clean or dirty.

To newcomers: If you can't play well without them, you can't play well with them. Just remember they are not for covering up mistakes.
It's not just about live playing. It's about creating a different and unique sound which you can't get any other way. Your resistance with pedals is from using your Vox which doesn't need pedals, and that's what those amps are made for. With normal amps, you have only one (albeit controllable) sound. You have many diverse sounds on your amp. If you want (let's say...) a metal sound, you can turn to the metal setting on your amp. For many of us, if we want metal... we will need a pedal. I think I explained it semi-decently well.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Quote by timzee117

Quote by WCS_Is_Worse1
Line 6 makes things alot easier. Despite they sound like **** and have zero tone.

When will you people learn.......

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Aq_KS0KywE&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P_Pp13thpY8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XfzShSigf18

http://www.myspace.com/lastaidband

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cuo3XyxUVSo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RHaUN3RgUxc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E-UjPLVKvfQ
my amp has reverb and tremolo. only do them with cleans which i hardly do anyways. i have a dirtbox to push my amp. i also have a wah which is what i use to create interesting tones. you would be surprised how much you can do with just a wah. i think wah is a great effect to be creative with. it really adds life to your playing.

as for things like flange, chorus and phaser they sound nice as one offs but i think they are probably more trouble than they are worth for everyday playing. pedals can be nice but you dont NEED them.
for boredom and creativity, As mentioned, Tom Morello of RATM produces some pretty crazy stuff with his pedals and toggle switch.

And of course distortion pedals for hardcore metal etc.
Your friendship is a fog, that disappears when the wind re-directs (YEAH!)
Quote by Sóul Pówer
for boredom and creativity, As mentioned, Tom Morello of RATM produces some pretty crazy stuff with his pedals and toggle switch.

And of course distortion pedals for hardcore metal etc.

Or a good amp...