Okay so the city of Omaha is being pressured by this ridiculous anti-underage drinking group to BAN ALL AGE MUSIC SHOWS

You can help save the local music scene by signing the petition in this post!
(the link doesn't show up, just copy the address and paste it in your bar)

Here's the original bulliten Cellador put up on myspace:

To all live music lovers in the Omaha area (especially those of you under 21), PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION to save Omaha's local music scene and any chance at national bands being booked here in the future!! We the members of CELLADOR are very concered about this as the majority of our biggest fans and friends our under 21 and thus would be barred from seeing us live!!

SAVE ALL AGES SHOWS IN OMAHA

by signing The Slowdown's petition at:
http://www.theslowdown.com/2008/04/08/save-all-ages-shows/

The City of Omaha, at the request of the owners of The Waiting Room and Slowdown, is attempting to re-write an ordinance allowing music venues that sell alcohol to produce all-ages shows while providing protections against underage drinking. The move to secure Omaha’s booming music scene was spurred after The Waiting Room and The Slowdown came under fire by several anti-drinking groups questioned a gray area in Omaha’s liquor law. Simply put, if this ordinance doesn’t pass, it means that all-ages shows at these venues and others will be banned.

This e-mail from One Percent Productions summed up the consequences best:

One of the main reasons we were able to bring so many shows to this market is that we were able to offer all ages shows. And not just all ages shows at venues like The Cog Factory that had no bar, but all ages show at a venue that serves alcohol. Based on the success of shows at rental halls like Sokol Underground, we decided to open The Waiting Room. That also influenced Saddle Creek to open Slowdown. Both venues have been an amazing step forward for our scene. Shows across the board are doing better.

If the ordinance doesn’t pass, that means no more all ages shows at venues like The Waiting Room and Slowdown. This will be a huge step backward for our city and it’s music scene.

This ordinance will be voted on by the City Council on April 15th at 2:00 p.m. at City Hall. It isn’t looking good.

Despite over 400 incident free shows, the council appears to be swaying towards this rationale of the anti-drinking groups:

...the [measure] is unpopular with members of Project Extra Mile, a group that aims to stop underage drinking. At a meeting Wednesday with Suttle, many members said allowing minors into venues that serve alcohol will only encourage them to imbibe.

"Why do we want to send kids into these bars and venues to learn how to be drunks?" said Robert Vondrasek, a retired Omaha police officer.

...Project Extra Mile executive director Diane Riibe, who said those under 21 aren’t responsible enough to make wise choices about alcohol and may try to skirt security measures by swapping out alcoholic drinks after they’ve been purchased.

"It just makes sense that we don’t go there," she said.

If you’ve ever been to The Waiting Room and The Slowdown, you’ve seen that they take the responsibility of making sure kids aren’t served seriously. These aren’t some shady bars were kids go to get drunk.

It doesn’t matter if you’re into metal, hardcore, punk, indie, hip-hop, whatever. The scene needs your help now.

Please sign this petition that Slowdown set-up:
http://www.theslowdown.com/2008/04/08/save-all-ages-shows/

Also, please e-mail the city council members who will vote on the ordinance.

Please remember to be respectful;

Jim Suttle - District 1
Frank Brown - District 2
Jim Vokal - District 3
Garry Gernandt - District 4
Dan Welch - District 5
Franklin Thompson - District 6
Chuck Sigerson, Jr.

- District 7

FYI: Jim Shuttle is currently a supporter of the ordinance.

Also, if you can, please show up to the city council meeting at 2:00, April 15th, Omaha City Hall to show your support.

If this fails; it will be one small step forward against underage drinking and one massive blow backwards for music and culture in Omaha.

http://www.theslowdown.com/2008/04/08/save-all-ages-show

EDIT: Thanks, fixed the links
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Last edited by sneyob at Apr 11, 2008,
take the spaces out of the links.

EDIT: Also, you just got another signature.
Signature temporarily empty
Last edited by Lord Of Donkeys at Apr 11, 2008,
all right turns out the links weren't working because of some bad code but they're fixed now

seriously guys,

Omaha needs our help

let's get to it!

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
That would suck balls, I hate +21 shows. Music's for everyone, not just people over 21.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
D:
No! I go to all sorts of shows in Omaha!
Quote by goldmember1217
I swallow it whole, like a man.
*BUMP*

hey reply to the thread after signing,
I want to see how many are added to the list

THIS IS HUGE

if the housewives with nothing to do win in Omaha,
they're coming to your town next!

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
again

*BUMP*

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
also,

bump

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Quote by Mr. B
Youre from omaha too?!

Yeah this is pissing me off so much!
Will i still be able to play shows at sokol even if this bill is passed?

I'm not from Omaha but this whole thing totally pissed me off so I felt like I had to do something

I don't think it would ban you from playing, but it would mean none of your friends could see you

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
Wow youre a great guy.

Yeah, im getting all of my friends to sign it..

I play shows at venues that serve alchohol all the time and if my friends didnt come to see us there would be absolutely noone there.

Thats why i think the local venues and radio stations are all against it, most of their fanbases are under twenty one.
yeah man

the local music bar has a large under 21 fanbase and they would be crushed if that group couldn't go to their shows

it's ridiculous,

kids aren't going to bars to drink
they drink at home
it's damn near impossible to actually buy alcohol

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM