I tried out some of the new american standard strats and some things I have found quite weird. First of all, the maple neck is insanely glossed and kind of sticky. Also, the trem doesn't have blocks, its exposed and kind of sharp when your hand is resting on the bridge. I can't really speak to the pickups since I didn't try them on good amps. Anyone got opinions?
I have one. I've got the maple neck and I really like it. But thats personal preference. I like the pickups stock, but I still think that I may put some 62' noiseless or lace sensors later.
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Dean ML Select
Customized Schecter Omen-6
Taylor 214e
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960 cab
Cube 15
Vox Wah
Blues Driver BD-2

Quote by Chordzzz
can you fuсk it?

Quote by nebiru
Oh I will find a way.
Quote by Shuk
I tried out some of the new american standard strats and some things I have found quite weird. First of all, the maple neck is insanely glossed and kind of sticky. Also, the trem doesn't have blocks, its exposed and kind of sharp when your hand is resting on the bridge. I can't really speak to the pickups since I didn't try them on good amps. Anyone got opinions?

Ah Shuks

i gotta chime in here but what do you mean by no block?

*This is a great guitar but I think I hear what you are saying on a few things as I have a made in mexico standard strat with rosewood fretboard...and not maple.

1.) My thought is that the maple neck needs time to break in and will be fine. you don't clean it the same way as the body. wipe the guitar down as ppl playing it will add lots of oil and stuff. or get rosewood, which is what i have

2.) There should be bridge block under trem in body and on back side underneath cover. maybe you already know this and you are saying it is a hardtail stop bridge or some other problem, not sure. I can say this, the bottom side of my bridge was sharp too when i first got it but it was from the exposed saddle poles that keep the strings in place and also allow you to adjust saddles ups and down. I guess my hand wore it down pretty quickly or i got used to it because it doesn't bother me now and i'm down there all the time doing palm mutes.

3.) The stock pickup in an American strat should be fine and the last thing you need to worry about right now...imho

later
Quote by Shuk

Ah Shuks

i gotta chime in here but what do you mean by no block?

*This is a great guitar but I think I hear what you are saying on a few things as I have a made in mexico standard strat with rosewood fretboard...and not maple.

1.) My thought is that the maple neck needs time to break in and will be fine. you don't clean it the same way as the body. wipe the guitar down as ppl playing it will add lots of oil and stuff. or get rosewood, which is what i have

2.) There should be bridge block under trem in body and on back side underneath cover. maybe you already know this and you are saying it is a hardtail stop bridge or some other problem, not sure. I can say this, the bottom side of my bridge was sharp too when i first got it but it was from the exposed saddle poles that keep the strings in place and also allow you to adjust saddles ups and down. I guess my hand wore it down pretty quickly or i got used to it because it doesn't bother me now and i'm down there all the time doing palm mutes.

3.) The stock pickup in an American strat should be fine and the last thing you need to worry about right now...imho

later
Oops I actually meant the saddle doesn't have those rectangular smooth blocks so resting your hand on it doesn't feel as comfortable. They called it "vintage saddles". I'm wondering why people think this is better.
Quote by Shuk
Oops I actually meant the saddle doesn't have those rectangular smooth blocks so resting your hand on it doesn't feel as comfortable. They called it "vintage saddles". I'm wondering why people think this is better.

better resonance or so i've heard. I really dont think it matters.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I own one.

It's really, really nice. I love the fretboard (maple) and there aren't really any flaws with it. When I use the whammy bar it goes out of tune, but I'll add extra springs or lockin' tuners soon.

I absolutely love the 2008 Standard and I actually almost bought one even though I couldn't justify spending the money (I'm a broke college student... but I wanted it so bad!)

I don't know what you're talking about when you say the neck is sticky, on the 2008 they satin finish the back so it's smooth (not glossy), but they gloss and tint the front so it looks like a regular old strat neck. It's a cross between the satin finish on the new Mexican strats which feels great but looks pale, and the old tinted vintage strat look which looks great but feels sticky.

I doubt there's any significant difference in sound between the newer style bridge saddles and the vintage style, except for differences in what they're made off. The thing is that they switched to the newer style to give better string clearance through the bridge and to stop breaking strings. This is because for a long time the vintage style saddles were, to put it simply, made wrong. The string slot wasn't long enough and it put a major stress point on the string. Vintage strats from the 50's and 60's didn't have this problem, the saddles were made correctly. On the 2008 line they corrected the vintage saddle and made it the standard again.

They upgraded the bridge block to a full size all metal block infused with copper. Still not as good as the original vintage ones but better than the resin filled blocks they've been using.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Shuk

yeah, same here...it will wear down. i can run the back of my hand up and down all those saddle poles and it doesn't hurt or cut but i agree they were pretty sharp when i first got my strat
;
Some people think the bent-steel saddles are a little more crisp and bright. My opinion? I think the flat block are better to use, sound the same to me (and I'm a tone freak), are easier to keep clean and just look better.

I have a couple strats, and two have bent-steel saddles. I usually feel those screws popping out of the saddle on my right hand, and I've gotten used to it, but that is annoying for a while. In general, I love strats for what they are. I have other guitars if I want to play metal or something other than what a strat is really intended for.

Saddles aren't bad, you'll get used to them. If not, just get some of the block ones and throw them in the next time you change strings. They're like $20 or something.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
If you're going to bother upgrading the saddles, just get Ferraglides. IMO they're the best saddles out there for strats.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself