What sort of exercises could I do to help my down picking? What could I do physically on the guitar, and what can I do in my free time to help my down picking (somewhat Master Of Puppets style) get better. A good example would be in Pull Me Under by Dream Theater, right after the chorus bit, I like that part. I have these jazz strings on my guitar now (11's) and it's harder to work with, but it still sounds pretty good.
The Walking Dead
just downpick the hell outta those songs....or play some blink182 lol
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
Just get the down picking parts in Master of Puppets or Pull Me Under, start them slow and gradually build up speed.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Master of Puppets is a good song to learn to start to get everything down. Mess around with riffs like "2 Minutes to Midnight" or "Number of the Beast" by Iron Maiden as well. They can help. In the end you can only go so fast but those songs helped me.
In your free time, perhaps do push-ups, curls, and masturbate. Those help in my opinion; when I would lift weights and then go play, I could downpick ****ing crazy (a bit faster than master of puppets), but like the others are saying, just practice slow and build up speed. Don't expect to go that fast though, I mean master of puppets verse is almost as fast as you can really go.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Do you know your 5 pentatonic scales? If you don't, learn them.
Now, there are 4 different basic picking excercises you can do to start off - all down, all up, down up, up down. I know you only asked for down strokes, but practice all these and it will increase your picking dexterity greatly.
Now, for the excercises. 3 strings, 3 notes and string skipping. A little more in depth with each of them.
3 strings, you play all the notes in the scale on 3 strings (starting from the bass note), then go back 1 string and do it again.
3 notes, play 3 notes from the bass, go back one, play another 3 notes, go back one, etc.
String skipping, play all the notes of the scale on the 6th string, play the notes on the 4th string, play the notes on the 5th string, play the notes on the 3rd string, etc.
Do this in all of the pentatonic scales from the lowest to the highest note.
Also, there are much harder picking excercises that are pretty fine on 3 note per-string scales, but on pentatonics are difficult and help greatly with picking dexterity. They are - down up down, down down up, up down up, up up down.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
You know those things that have two handles and a metal ring and you squeeze the handles? Try that, I do it.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
You know those things that have two handles and a metal ring and you squeeze the handles? Try that, I do it.

That's a good idea. I have to dig mine up.
Quote by fixationdarknes
Hehe

They're fun.

That's what they're called? Well that's what I was posting about.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Doing push-ups helped me get my downpicking faster, in addition to (of course...actually downpicking) playing a fast downpickked riff to the metronome and gradually increasing the tempo. Once your wrist is tired go to a slower tempo or just take a break and start over.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Desendents dude. They have tons of downpicked songs that are so fast. There are alot of punk bands that use downpicking and are extremely fast at it.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.