Hey guys, I am looking to you all for advice once again. I am considering buying a Ceriatones JCM 800. I have never played on any 800 before. I know I should try before I buy, but I can't find one anywhere. I am looking for a Slash like tone. I don't think I can get it good enough with my DSL. I have read that the JCM 800 is the closest thing without getting "his" sig amp or a Jubilee.

My question is-
I was going to order the 50 watt head, with a half power switch. Where do you think the sweet spot would be in 25watt mode, for the natural break up of the power amp? I have heard that these amp don't have much gain at all until you turn them up. I would get a power brake if I had to but would rather not.

Would I really have to crank it that high on 25watt mode to get any gain and/or a sweet sound out of it?

P.S. I know I am not talking about a Marshall JCM but I have heard good things about Ceriatone amps. I would rather get brand new and maybe not sound exactly the same, then 20-25 years old for more money. I am hoping a JCM 800 will get me closer to the sound I want. I have just heard a lot of ppl say they have to be cranked to get distortion out of them.

Thanks again.
You don't NEED to crank a tube amp to get distortion out of it (unless it's one of those one dial amps). It just sounds better if you do. In my case, not more distorted, but fuller. You'll probably be amble to get decent distortion easily with a JCM800 on 25w at lowish volumes.
Does the 50W even have a half-power swtich?

Anyway, on either setting, you'll definitely won't be getting any overdrive below the volume of a drum set. In fact, you might not even be able to get any at gig-volumes; but that depends on a lot of things.
Quote by mr_hankey

Anyway, on either setting, you'll definitely won't be getting any overdrive below the volume of a drum set. In fact, you might not even be able to get any at gig-volumes; but that depends on a lot of things.

But he can still get preamp distortion, right? Which (I believe) sounds pretty good on the JCM 800's, especially when it's turned up.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
But he can still get preamp distortion, right? Which (I believe) sounds pretty good on the JCM 800's, especially when it's turned up.

Yep. It's not the same as power amp distortion, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Some actually prefer preamp distortion.

If you're getting it from ceriatone, you are wiring it yourself, right? There are some fairly simple mods which can give you more preamp gain.
50w isn't too bad for powertube distortion.. with a master volume amp you can start to get breakup earlier on.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
with a master volume amp you can start to get breakup earlier on.

Yes, but not power tube breakup, which is what this thread is about.
Quote by mr_hankey

If I get it, I am getting it from Ceriatones. They can do any mods you want for $20. I already talked to them. I am not going to wire it up myself. I don't know how involved it is.

It's just that some ppl say with JCM 800 amps you have to crank them to get distortion out of them. It seems like other ppl who don't have them, or never played them say there will be plenty of preamp gain. I don't know who is right.

I am just wondering, in 25watt mode where do you think the sweet spot will be? And will it have to be there to get distortion?

Thanks again guy's.
You could try the JCM 800 reissue first, or a second hand one from the 80"s. You will probably need an OD for it. I wouldn't run to a JCM clone yet, at least not before you have tried the original!

That DSL is a great amp and has decent cleans (which is harder to get with the JCM 800). You can try an EQ pedal with the DSL and see if that helps a bit, perhaps boost the classic crunch channel to get that tone. But keep in mind that you will never achieve to copy the exact tone of Slash.