Ok, so I got myself a brand new Fender Highway One Stratocaster for about three months ago, but I'm not really satisfied with it, it feels kind of weak.

So my plan is to maybe try to sell this guitar, which is in pretty good shape. And then try to work as hard as I can and maybe sell another guitar and an old amp, then buy a Gibson Les Paul Classic, which costs about 2000$...
I haven't tried it yet though but I love the sound and it's really beautiful.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-...429-i1147482.gc

Would it be worth it? Has anyone ever tried one of these? The amp I have right now is a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb, does it sound better with a les paul or strat?

The music I play is like Canned Heat, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Zeppelin and some other blues stuff.

Before, I did listen very much to Hendrix, which is one of the reason why I bought my stratocaster.

Do you think it's woth the effort or what? Is it probably better to buy a used one?

Thank you for answering....
Last edited by FiliphSlim at Apr 12, 2008,
seems like a good idea to me, but i prefer lps to strats
Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army

Quote by #1 synth
i figure as long as its not a puppy it's fair game for my penis.
Quote by porchmonkey4lif
seems like a good idea to me, but i prefer lps to strats

Ok, nice. Just wondering why do you prefer the Les Pauls to Strats? Like what is the biggest difference, except from obvious reasons like looks...

Are they faster and easier to play than strats?
First off, your amp will not hit Zeppelin without a pedal. You might want to get a British voiced amp with some good OD.
High as tits
Not necessarily faster than a strat or easier. LP's generally have harder upper fret access and depending on the neck you get they're thicker and fatter. And the tone will be deeper because of the wood and humbucker's more bass less twang.
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
First off, your amp will not hit Zeppelin without a pedal. You might want to get a British voiced amp with some good OD.

Don't worry about that, the sound of my amp is fine with my Fuzzface and maybe some other OD in the future...
Quote by boxcarmonument
Not necessarily faster than a strat or easier. LP's generally have harder upper fret access and depending on the neck you get they're thicker and fatter. And the tone will be deeper because of the wood and humbucker's more bass less twang.

Yes, nice. That's sounds like what I want. More depth...
Is there any cheaper Gibson Les Paul except the studio version? Or should I just save and go for the real deal here?
Just get the real deal man. I waited, and I'm glad I did. The Classics and Standards are the way to go.
Gibson.
Is it any real difference between the Classics and Standards? Is there anything specific to think of if I buy used, or woldn't you recommend I did?
The pickups are different. Everything else is aesthetic. Mine is a Standard Faded. Which is just a Standard without the gloss which is really nice. I think you can get either style neck on the Classics and Standards. I prefer the 50's neck.

Just a matter of preference I guess. Only buy used if you get a chance to try it. I generally don't trust used guitars unless I can play em.
Gibson.
I don't like LP's, because the sound doesn't really appeal to me, it's very heavy and I learned on an Ibanez Blazer, which is similair to a Strat.

I just feel they're really unnecessarily bulky. More of a fashion accessory.

Try a fender Jag or something before going polar and jumping from strat to LP.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by FiliphSlim
Is it any real difference between the Classics and Standards? Is there anything specific to think of if I buy used, or woldn't you recommend I did?
The differences are, in full:

- Different pickup options. The Classic Antiques and Classic Customs are generally considered to have the best pickups out of all of the Standard and Classic models.
- Neck and finish options. Standards have a wider range of neck profile/finish mixes, so you're more likely to be able to get the neck you want and the finish you want from a Standard, than you would from any of the Classics. Classics also come with pickguards, while Standards, Classic Customs and Classic Antiques don't, and require drilling if you wish to put a pickguard on one. These choices can be quite important, since obviously while it's easy to swap out the Standard's inferior pickups, it's not so easy to start refinishing or changing the neck of the Classics...
- Body wood and hardware quality. Classic Customs come with the same higher grade wood and higher quality cast hardware that the Les Paul Supreme uses. Other Standards and Classics share the same grade woods and use the same hardware, from the same casts.
- Price. Classic Antiques are generally the cheapest (in most countries), Classics are second cheapest, Standards are mid-priced of course, and Classic Customs can, depending on where you live, cost as much as an actual Custom Shop model or a production les Paul Supreme.
Get the Les Paul Classic! I have one and it's the best thing ever.

And try not to buy online. You can probably get a lower price at a real GC or other store that sells them. And THEN you can also haggle.

Quote by Mockingbird452
Get the Les Paul Classic! I have one and it's the best thing ever.

And try not to buy online. You can probably get a lower price at a real GC or other store that sells them. And THEN you can also haggle.

Yes, but the thing is this.
I usually live in Sweden (in Europe for you who didn't know) but I've been living with a friend here in Monterey, CA for about 1 year but I'm going home now in May. But the others go home in like October so I figured they could buy the guitar to me in October when I got more money.

To make a long story short. I'm going to ship it to Sweden directly when I get it so I wont have any warrany or any´thing on in. Is that why I shouldn't buy online?

I would save a lot of money buying a used one, I think, that wouldn't be too bad.

Or is it just the fear to be scammed?.....
Oh, I didn't know you lived in Sweden, sorry.

But go for a used one, they save you a lot more money. Used guitars shouldn't be bad at all, especially if they're an older guitar.
Quote by Mockingbird452
Oh, I didn't know you lived in Sweden, sorry.

But go for a used one, they save you a lot more money. Used guitars shouldn't be bad at all, especially if they're an older guitar.

How old do you think it should be? Like, I want it to be pretty good but maybe not too old to be vintage because then it would just go up in price...

What is a good & cheap year for Gibson Les pauls?
Quote by Mockingbird452
I'd personaly just try to go for the lowest priced Classic that's still in good shape.

Ebay?
You're in Sweden? You might be better off looking at an Epi Elitist Les Paul then. The stock pickups are a little worse, and you're dealing with the Epi neck profile of course, but other than that, in most European countries we can get Elitists cheaper than even used Gibson LP Standards or Classics. Even after upgrading the pickups, you'll be spending less money total than a used Gibson.

The Gibson will be better quality straight off the shelf, but if you're willing to put in the extra time and effort, the Epi will end up being better quality, and will save you money.

Failing that though, I wouldn't recommend eBay for used Gibsons. There are lots of fakes floating around on eBay, and most of the legit sellers are in America, and you'll get surprised with a sudden huge bill for the extra shipping to get it to you. Try looking locally when you're back home, or just bite the bullet and buy new from a store. I really don't recommend risking any used online buying from people outside of your own country.
Id' say, get a used one. Modern Gibsons are really bad, a lot of them even worse than Epiphones!

I would try and get one from the 90's. They are very good, my Studio being better than most modern day Standards. There are nothing wrong with the Studios, they are just like standards (except the Burstbuckers, but the pre '02 Standards have the same pups) except for aestetics.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by bokuho
You're in Sweden? You might be better off looking at an Epi Elitist Les Paul then. The stock pickups are a little worse, and you're dealing with the Epi neck profile of course, but other than that, in most European countries we can get Elitists cheaper than even used Gibson LP Standards or Classics. Even after upgrading the pickups, you'll be spending less money total than a used Gibson.

The Gibson will be better quality straight off the shelf, but if you're willing to put in the extra time and effort, the Epi will end up being better quality, and will save you money.

Failing that though, I wouldn't recommend eBay for used Gibsons. There are lots of fakes floating around on eBay, and most of the legit sellers are in America, and you'll get surprised with a sudden huge bill for the extra shipping to get it to you. Try looking locally when you're back home, or just bite the bullet and buy new from a store. I really don't recommend risking any used online buying from people outside of your own country.

I am in the U.S. right now but I will buy the guitar before I get back to Sweden....
Filip... For the type of music you are playing.. I would stay away from the classics. They have very hot pickups and thin neck. 500T and 498R. I can get a Dimebag tone with my classic using the bridge pickup. I put in a Seymore Duncan Antiquity in the neck position (see photo -classic is hanging on the left) to balance it out when I use both together and a coil tap on the 500T to tone it down if I needed to. Also the fatter neck on a standard is going to give you better sustain and a little more warmth.
98' 1960 Les Paul Classic
00' 57' Reissue Goldtop Les Paul
92' R0' Historic Les Paul

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Trem-o-verb 2x12 combo
Mesa 2x12 Rectifier Extention cabinet
Boss GT-8
Korg DTR-1 Rackmount tuner
Sennheiser WZ-300 wireless
Last edited by LesPaulFreeek at Apr 13, 2008,