How the crap are you people able to keep your ideas flowing (music-wise). Everything I write has the same stupid pop punk feel (Even though I barely listen to pop punk) and it kinda sounds the same too. I want to be writing more of the rock based music like nirvana/RatM/Pink Floyd/red hot chili peppers music....HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR IDEAS FLOWING?!?!?!?!?!
i dont personally use this technique, but try learning different tabs by the bands u like and maybe somthing will spark in your mind. cuz then u get a feel of what you are trying to sound like
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
dude i try playing other song s like i would play maybe disciple and deceny defied t get some power chord ideas and maybe some dio for solo ideas keep rocking
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
Study the music that you like, I find it helps alot, look at song structures they use, scales, the feel that the music has and if it relates to the rhythm. There are many other things to look at, and you don't want to be ripping off peoples music, but that should help you.
Quote by Regression
Study the music that you like, I find it helps alot, look at song structures they use, scales, the feel that the music has and if it relates to the rhythm. There are many other things to look at, and you don't want to be ripping off peoples music, but that should help you.

Branch out what you listen to and learn some of those songs. A wider array of music will open you up to new possibilities.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
I set up specific structural goals when I want to vary my style. Colohue's suggestion for no power chords is actually a great one. I'll also build a whole song around wanting a specific time signature, number of chords, number of choruses v. verses, etc. Come up with a structural rule like that and then fill it in, you'll also happen to write good music that way when you don't just rely on little your "creativity" flow in an open-ended way.
No better way to learn to use something than to just plain not use it. You know where it's missing instead of just putting it in for something to put.
ok the simpleest way: find a song u like, learn it, then improvise by which i mean, playing the songs riff or solo or intro with a different rythme, keep the same notes just change their order. Next u add chords (or powerchords, caus ur aimin for rock). now u can start changing the key, record any ideas that flow to ur mind with ur phone so u remember them and then integrate them into the song! BANG! u have a song!

hope i helped
Quote by thedefrockednun
ok the simpleest way: find a song u like, learn it, then improvise by which i mean, playing the songs riff or solo or intro with a different rythme, keep the same notes just change their order. Next u add chords (or powerchords, caus ur aimin for rock). now u can start changing the key, record any ideas that flow to ur mind with ur phone so u remember them and then integrate them into the song! BANG! u have a song!

hope i helped

This can work surprisingly well. I once got together to jam, and the guys wanted to do "Can't Stop" by RHCP. I didn't really know it that well, so I threw in some of my own parts where I was a bit sketchy. I hit on one chord change, and we spent the entire afternoon building on that. Came out of it with a new complete song! Doesn't sound remotely like "Can't Stop" either.