I've been noticing that B-C and E-F are said to be a half step difference. How can I understand this, seeing as how on a piano, there isn't a black key in between either of them?! Any help is greatly appreciated.
Before the invention of modern western music there were only seven notes in any sort of music, these being:

CDEFGAB

With the invention of different instruments there are now twelve notes, each a 0.083 of a wavelength apart.

This produces A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#
B has no sharp C has no flat, same applies to E&F they are said to be a half step difference as the majority of notes have both a sharp and a flat instead of one or the other making them a whole step difference, meaning B to C is a whole tone but only a half step.
Thanks to the first two commenters. It makes sense now! Now... Back to my three chapters of music theory I need to catch up on.
You said it yourself: there isn't a black key between them! So there isn't a note between them!

So B#=C, Cb=B, E#=F, and Fb=E. While it is unusual to use them, there are scenarios where you need to write something as B# (or whatever) rather than C (or whatever).
Quote by colohue
Before the invention of modern western music there were only seven notes in any sort of music, these being:

CDEFGAB

With the invention of different instruments there are now twelve notes, each a 0.083 of a wavelength apart.

This produces A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#

Where are you getting that number?

Music frequencies relate exponentially, not linearly.
Quote by :-D
Wrong.

Did :-D just find another quote for his sig?
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by branny1982
times it by 12 and you will see.

In music frequencies relate exponentially, not linearly.

And we normally measure sound vibrations by their frequencies, not the wavelength.

The "original instruments" didn't have only 7 notes/ those notes at all that's completely false and really has no grounding in fact at all.
Agreed to find the next tone in the 12 tone ET you use freq*2^(1/12).

For example,

440*(2^(1/12)) = 466.16 or A#
440*(2^(2/12)) = 493.88 or B

1/12 is .083, but it is only part of the answer.
Quote by capiCrimm

1/12 is .083, but it is only part of the answer.

However, I believe it's the part the threadstarter wanted to know.
However, I believe it's the part the threadstarter wanted to know.

the part he wanted? You were wrong. It's like you remembered "mc" instead of "e=mc^2". It also wasn't required for the answer and has nothing to do with why there are sharps. That's simply because people started with ABCDEFG like you said and filled in the gaps between the notes. As it turns out there were no gaps between BC and EF. See, no wrong formula necessary.