I'm just starting to learn all my theory, so cut me a little slack here. I was playing around with barre chords with the root on the 5th string, and i was wondering. If you lower the note on the 2nd string by half a step, what kind of chord is that?
That turns it from a major chord to a minor - if you look at the shape you'll see it's the same as an open Am chord.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if it was an A Major shaped barre chord, lowering that note would make it a minor chord. if it's already a minor, lowering it again will get you a "2" or some other kind of weird yet cool sounding chord.
Haha thanks for the help guys. I know the major and minor barre chords, i was wondering about lowering the b string note below that from

-2-
-3-
-4-
-4-
-2-
---

to

-2-
-2-
-4-
-4-
-2-
---

so whatever that would be called. As Rokeman put it, a weird but cool sounding "2"?
i think it would be a "suspended 2" or something like that. you don't need to know the names of all the chords, if it sounds good then do it! but yeah i think it would be a sus 2.
alright then. thanks, appreciate the help everyone. i have another question about learning theory, but its completely unrelated to this. so should i make a new topic or just ask again here?
Quote by joshesus
alright then. thanks, appreciate the help everyone. i have another question about learning theory, but its completely unrelated to this. so should i make a new topic or just ask again here?

not sure, if it's similiar ask away, and if you don't get a good response wait ages then try a new thread.
Yeah sus2, which means the third has been lowered to the second. And just go ahead and ask ur next question.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
I was wondering about learning all the notes on the neck. Are you guys all able to pick a random spot on any string and call out what note it is? I've been trying to learn the notes, and I can figure it out, but it takes me a second. Is there any easy way than just repeating over and over for as long as I can stand? Or any little tricks to learning all the notes?
ok well on the low E string, learn all of those notes, and then, because the 5th fret of that string is an A, and the 5th string is an A then you can work it out like that. there's also octaves, like the 5th fret of the 6th string is an A an octave lower than the 7th fret of the 4th string.