I'm using a peavey backstage amp and peavey raptor exp with a boss ds-1 pedal. I'm not really sure how to explain my problems since I only started playing guitar about a month ago and got a pedal last week. Anyway, here goes...

I'm getting sound even by lightly pressing down on the strings in the fretboard, is this normal?

And my fingers brush on the other strings unintentionally alot which causes this lingering sound in the background that I have to hold down the string in order to get it to quiet down. Any way to prevent this?
No, your guitar's fretboard is defective. I would take it into a shop and tell them what's going on. They should be able to fix it.
I think you're just talking about feedback, which in essence is the the guitar picking up its own sound from the amp--this is normal, just mute the strings when you're not playing.
Quote by ssss067

And my fingers brush on the other strings unintentionally alot which causes this lingering sound in the background that I have to hold down the string in order to get it to quiet down. Any way to prevent this?

This is a technique thing. You need to learn how to mute strings that you are not playing while playing the strings you're supposed to be. Essentially, don't hit the other strings.

edit: unless you are talking about fret buzz, like dude-1 mentioned, in which case its a neck/setup problem.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
ok basically its ur skill dud
not trying to be mean
its normal on high gain when you lightly touch the guitar and the pickups pickup even the slightest signals
basically u need to mute ur strings
the lingering sound is the strings ringing becuz u din mute it wen ur playing
heres sum tips
for the top 3 strings the thick ones, use ur palm and rest on it to mute it
for the high strings
use ur index finger on the left hand
keep it straight above the fretboard and it will quiet the strings
alright, thanks for the tip. i'll check out some websites on how to mute the strings
Quote by dude-1
No, your guitar's fretboard is defective. I would take it into a shop and tell them what's going on. They should be able to fix it.

shush moron.

TS, there's nothing wrong....you *may* have the gain up to high but it's most likely just a technique issue. Just make a conscious effort to clean up your playing and work on your accuracy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
my amp's knobs are all at 0, except for the volume. my pedal's distortion and tone are set to maximum with level at 9 o'clock. is there anything wrong with my settings too?
Quote by steven seagull
shush moron.

TS, there's nothing wrong....you *may* have the gain up to high but it's most likely just a technique issue. Just make a conscious effort to clean up your playing and work on your accuracy.

Shush, oblivious. I was messing with him.
Quote by dude-1

Shush, aren't you so cool.
Quote by dude-1

I take it you attended the Alanis Morrissette School of Irony then
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I take it you attended the Alanis Morrissette School of Irony then

No, but I did go to Alanis Morrissette School of Ironing. CLOSE!
Most amps will usually buzz a bit unless they have a noise gate. If you're using a lot of distortion this buzz will get louder. If you're playing your guitar and you also touch other strings accidentaly they will also produce sound. It's very hard to play so perfectly that you won't generate any noise, but if you work on your technique you can get pretty close. If you find that everything is just ringing out to much you might wanna learn how to palm mute, there are plenty of lessons on that.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com