Poll: Who is the better guitarist?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who is the better guitarist?
Eddie Van Halen
11 33%
Steve Vai
22 67%
Voters: 33.
Who is the better guitarist? State why you think so in a reply....

Or just choose an answer...
Last edited by Cjw34 at Apr 12, 2008,
kthxbai
Quote by freddaahh
I do think it is a rather suspect sound of metal dildos and horses.
eddie van halen by far! his tapping is awesome, and he has brought a lot of great change to guitar
My Gear Brah:
  • Ibanez K7 (silver)
  • Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony w/ gold hardware)
  • Mesa Triple Rectifier Head
  • Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Traditional Cab
  • Too many pedals to list...

For the love of God guys! its obviously Steve Vai.

(yes the pun was bad)
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
The question is: Who is the BETTER guitarist... EVH was certainly the miost influential guitarist of the last 3 decades, because of his originality and style. But I thnk that technically speaking, Steve Vai is a better guitarist.
Quote by metaldud536
Yes. When the shield generator on Endor has been deactivated, Rogue Squadron is easily able to enter the Death Star II without repurcussions.

...And that's how menstruation works.
Damn you! Its steve vai of course!

If this poll wasnt so ****ty, Id go with Shawn Lane, but it is, take that!
Steve Vai is more educated, and is probably capable of more technically, however EVH played with incredible feel and style, and is also incredible technically.

Since the term "better" is subjective, Ill choose Van Halen, because I enjoy listening to him more than Vai. Ultimately, thats all that matters to me.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by dudeman_andy
For the love of God guys! its obviously Steve Vai.

(yes the pun was bad)

lol nice...
I can't stand either of them, but I would choose Vai over Van Halen any day simply because Van Halen's solos are uncreative and boring.

This is a stupid thread, it's a completely subjective topic. They play different styles.
Quote by bigtimber112
IVan Halen's solos are uncreative and boring.

an incredibly ignorant comment that is far from true. If anything its the polar opposite. EVH was incredibly creative.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
most ignorant comment ever.

Well, I understand....this is strictly a matter of opinion, but I guess it depends on how you look at it.

While Van Halen's solos were considered to be "the best" and "creative" and "sooo fast" when Van Halen first appeared, nowadays, they're nothing special. He is over-rated, if you ask me.
These threads are stupid and not allowed.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by bigtimber112
I can't stand either of them, but I would choose Vai over Van Halen any day simply because Van Halen's solos are uncreative and boring.

This is a stupid thread, it's a completely subjective topic. They play different styles.

Ok so you are either an idiot or you don't know anything. First off if you think his solos are uncreative and boring, I have one word for you. Eruption. Thank you.

And different styles? BS!!! Now even though Vai isn't in a metal band his guitar solos are just as fast and creative as Eddies.
Quote by bigtimber112
Well, I understand....this is strictly a matter of opinion, but I guess it depends on how you look at it.

While Van Halen's solos were considered to be "the best" and "creative" and "sooo fast" when Van Halen first appeared, nowadays, they're nothing special. He is over-rated, if you ask me.

his creativity isnt a matter of opinion. He was creative. His playing was and is still special, regardless of current or future developments in guitar playing.

as far as over-rated.... sure by some..... but so is Steve Vai..... or any guitar player with fans for that matter. When someone does something significant, as both of these players have.... your going to have people that go over board and over-rate them. that doesnt take anything away from what they've accomplished.

Just out of curiosity bigtimber..... could you play any of his "over-rated" works... and make them sound authentic?

can you play anything of your own, that is MORE creative than what EVH did ? (since your a "modern" guitarist this should be no problem).
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by bigtimber112

If his stuff was original and creative when he came up with it, that means it will always be held as original and creative music. It's easy to build upon others' ideas, but it's damn hard to come up with new ones all on your own.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by Cjw34
Ok so you are either an idiot or you don't know anything. First off if you think his solos are uncreative and boring, I have one word for you. Eruption. Thank you.

And different styles? BS!!! Now even though Vai isn't in a metal band his guitar solos are just as fast and creative as Eddies.

Well, you either have a different opinion or you believe something different.

Well, I guess I'm wrong then, my opinion doesn't count.
Steve Vai is better over all but EVH is highly influencial
Bennetts_strat
Registered confuser.