Hi, hopefully you guys can help me out with this.

My father enjoys playing the guitar, an acoustic, for a while now he's been having trouble with keeping pressure on the strings with his left hand to make chords, arthritis in his finger joints make it quite painful to do so.

I'm hoping there may be some kind of finger aid out there that would help with this, I don't know the first thing about guitar accessories, and he's too proud to look for himself so any suggestions or links you could provide me with would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
lighter strings , lower action, wearing nubs n your fingers like tony iommi. im sure that'd help. but might look a bit silly. But i'm sure the nubs would take pressure off.

goodluck though.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
I'm not sure if it would actually help or whether it would worsen the arthiritis
http://www.planet-waves.com/ptoolsdetails.aspx?ID=6

It's a gripmaster, a sort of finger exerciser thing, and as I said the extra movement etc. might hurt so if you're getting one you could go for the lightest one. Don't know if thats what you were looking for, but I'm thinking extra exercise might reduce the arthiritis's severity?

Edit
And yeah like the guy above me said, try and get a guitar with very low action (height of the string above the fretboard (the bit with the dots on)) and try and string it with lower guage strings, I think .10s are usually on a stock guitar but you can get .8s.
Just go to a guitar shop and ask them to set up your guitar with lower action and string it with .8s (or if you can find anything lighter, use that) and they'll do it for pretty cheap. You might want to get a full set up at the same time
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Last edited by John W at Apr 12, 2008,
Hmmm i dunno exactly what to tell you dude but my dad has artherits hard core as well in his wrist's he takes a sort of medication for it called "imbrel" or something i think. he isnt a guitar player, but a mechanic for semi trucks and it helps alot for him other than that i dont think they're much u can do except deal with the bad days and enjoy the good ones, artheritis sucks that way :/. but yeah the thing about the lighter strings and such mattalac is also a good suggestion (also the gripmaster thing is mostly for increasing finger dexterity and might make your dad worse off eventually no offence to john)
Last edited by bush_slayer_07 at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by bush_slayer_07

(also the gripmaster thing is mostly for increasing finger dexterity and might make your dad worse off eventually no offence to john)

yeah i wasn't sure about it, I don't know much about arthiritis.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

*masturbates*
Quote by Mattalac
lighter strings , lower action, wearing nubs n your fingers like tony iommi. im sure that'd help. but might look a bit silly. But i'm sure the nubs would take pressure off.

goodluck though.

Hmm, do these nubs have a technical name? I googled "guitar finger nubs", but I only got random gibberish .

Can you suggest a good online shop that I can look around?
Quote by anthony23
Hmm, do these nubs have a technical name? I googled "guitar finger nubs", but I only got random gibberish .

Tony Iommi made his own 'finger nubs' because he chopped off the end of his fingers. He melted down some plastic to fit his fingers.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-

*masturbates*
Maybe doing slide guitar might help? I know there's this slide that you keep on your finger that just lifts off if you don't have your second finger on it so you can play normally, can't remember what it's called but I figured playing slide would be easier than chords..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by anthony23

Sorry no name, home made. But they would work well!

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by philjay
Maybe doing slide guitar might help? I know there's this slide that you keep on your finger that just lifts off if you don't have your second finger on it so you can play normally, can't remember what it's called but I figured playing slide would be easier than chords..

Yeah, have him play slide.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Lighter strings and lower action just like the first guy.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd