Hello everybody. This is my first time here on Ultimate Guitar and i´m from Portugal. Im writing this post because my parents are going to USA in May and so is my birthday...you can guess the rest...I was thinkin in ask them to bring me a guitar, but i may have a problem...The Custom. Do you know if i can bring a guitar to Portugal without problems?
Thanks a lot

PS: Its a Les Pauls

ps: if you know something...could uou post the place where my parents can confirm that.
I don't think you'll have problems but most likely you will need to pay customs + tax, which depending on the country can be 15-25% of the value of the guitar.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
also it's not certain that they can take it to the planes cabin, so make sure they buy a hardcase if it's going to be with the rest of the luggage.

btw. les pauls often come with hardcases so there shouldnt be a problem.
Quote by Ventor
I don't think you'll have problems but most likely you will need to pay customs + tax, which depending on the country can be 15-25% of the value of the guitar.

The problem is that i want to save money and those 30% would ruin my plane...

I justdont know is this differance between prices so big...
Quote by Burguete
The problem is that i want to save money and those 30% would ruin my plane...

I justdont know is this differance between prices so big...

You will still save money because you won't have to pay shipping.
If I buy a guitar in the States and have it shipped to Belgium it costs me about as much in euro's as the price in dollars including shipping & tax. So a $1000 guitar would cost me about € 1000. You could also check out shops in the UK, they're cheaper than on the mainland because of the weak GBP.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
You can always just send it to yourself. I'm sure customs won't give you too much problems about it. I used to be in the army and when I came back from the mideast...I brought an epi valve Jr combo with me. Customs didn't give me any problems. I'm not 100% sure 'bout portugal though.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Ive brought 2 guitars back from overseas trips. Never paid any taxes or duties. They never even asked me about the guitars. If they did I would have just said I took it with me not importing it. There is usually a price limit before you need to pay taxes.
Quote by Tackleberry
Ive brought 2 guitars back from overseas trips. Never paid any taxes or duties. They never even asked me about the guitars. If they did I would have just said I took it with me not importing it. There is usually a price limit before you need to pay taxes.

Agreed. If they ask you if you bought it abroad, just say no. I doubt that they'd even ask you though, as I've done a decent amount of traveling and never had or heard of any problems like this.
Depends on the country I guess, in Belgium they're quite rigoruos in their search. If you bring a guitar from the US and can't prove you didn't buy it there, you'll have to pay taxes.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Quote by Ventor
You will still save money because you won't have to pay shipping.
If I buy a guitar in the States and have it shipped to Belgium it costs me about as much in euro's as the price in dollars including shipping & tax. So a $1000 guitar would cost me about € 1000. You could also check out shops in the UK, they're cheaper than on the mainland because of the weak GBP.

ITs the strongest form of currency int he world.... how is it weak?
Quote by RichieKotzen
ITs the strongest form of currency int he world.... how is it weak?

Well it's weakening against the euro. It used to be > 1.5 euro for 1 pound, now it's only about 1.2 euro. Still is strong ofcourse, but sometimes it's cheaper to buy in the UK than in the US. No import tax and lower shipping etc.
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower