Ok, some of you might have seen my thread about the amp, and I've decided on the BlackHeart for sure. They've really impressed, and I'm seriously digging the tone without any other adds (like pedals and the like). So, I'm good in the Rock'n Roll tone, but now, for the br00talz!

I do actually play a lot of metal, so I need a tight low end riffage, and sweet buttery leads. (I play a lot of progressive, to give you an idea)

Now, I've looked at various pedals, such as the TS9 (suggested in the original thread, which I'm not too psyched about, yet) or the Jekkyl & Hyde (I am really psyched about this though).

Any other suggestions that I absolutely have to check out? Or maybe a combination of different things? Keep in mind, I have about 150-200 for this at the max, and I'd rather spend the former than the latter.

All right then, thanks in advance!

Edit: That's Euro's, btw!
Boss Metal Zone, really versatile and has super crunch
Im gonna buy it soon so yeah...
I prefer tube pedals, but they aren't really in your price range. If you decide to check it out anyways, you should definately check; AMT Tube Platinum and AMT Freak Guitar out.

Anyways, here's one http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=&uzc=&command=link--amtft

I own it myself, and it's very good and versatile.

here's a vid with it http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq0xvSJojw

Except that, you might wanna try Satch's newest http://www.thomann.de/ie/vox_satchurator.htm
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by kai2demax
Boss Metal Zone, really versatile and has super crunch
Im gonna buy it soon so yeah...

Quit trolling or GTFO.

TS: Also check out the Digitech Bad Monkey.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
why not a good old boss metal zone?
ts9 really isn't for the 'low end riffage', so don't bother buying that one : )
Quote by Tvr

There's no use in buying a tube amp if you're going to use that bee hive in front of it.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Tvr

^What he said. I hate the Boss Metal Zone with a passion.

And I know the TS9 isn't for 'low end riffage', that's why I wasn't über psyched about it. I decided to slap it on here because someone did recommend it.

PhantomNote, I'm not really digging the AMT yet... at least, I don't really like the tone in the video, but that might be the playing.

Green Jelly, I'm not a big fan of Digitech (Just, as a whole), but I'll give it try.

No idea's about the Jekyll/Hyde? It has a weird attraction to it.

the catalinbread supercharged overdrive is really nice. I recently bought a blackstar distortion pedal which i highly reccomend although i dont know if you can get them in the states.
Quote by no_thing101
the catalinbread supercharged overdrive is really nice. I recently bought a blackstar distortion pedal which i highly reccomend although i dont know if you can get them in the states.

Neither do I; I can here in Holland though.

Did you get the Dual? Because what I'm hearing here, I really like. (He demoes some other cool stuff as well, the Dual alone is somewhere in the first quarter.)
Quote by GITARdud391
The Jekyll and Hyde is awesome. My friend has one and he loves it. I used it before too and it was great, I'm gonna be getting one myself very soon.

Oh right, so you know from experience then.
How deep will Mr. Hyde go?
to the TS, i HATED digitech after buying a death metal distortion pedal a few years back. and most of their stuff isn't the best compared to other brands. BUT, there are two pedals they make that absolutely contradict the usual digitech bad name:

the Whammy pedal

and the BAD MONKEY!!! i have both. the bad monkey sounds awesome in front of the blackheart. though i haven't had much time to experiment and see what kinda metal riffing i could get with it. i know the BM has a lotta low end in it, so you might be able to get what ur looking for. at the same time you might not, you gotta try it out though, the Bad Monkey is superb and ONLY $50!!!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Hmm, I have actually come across the Bad Monkey on my search, and I wasn't all that surprised... I'll give it a try, anyway, seeing the fact that it's cheap ass.
Quote by Y00p
Oh right, so you know from experience then.
How deep will Mr. Hyde go?

Well, my friend had a Dot and when he had the distortion and overdrive it sounded like any nice metal guitar, lol. You can get some really nice tones out of that pedal. It's very versatile.
tonebone makes great pedal in general check them out
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by GITARdud391
Well, my friend had a Dot and when he had the distortion and overdrive it sounded like any nice metal guitar, lol. You can get some really nice tones out of that pedal. It's very versatile.

Ok, thanks!

Quote by BAoxymoron
tonebone makes great pedal in general check them out

Yeah, but Tonebone are very expensive in general as well.

I use a Bad Monkey in front of my Black Heart. On top of just a signal boost(volume on pedal around 7 or 8), I have to apply some gain with the Bad Monkey as well (about 4 or so). I get a pretty thick distortion with minimal feedback keeping some distance between myself and the amp. I wouldn't really consider it "metal" territory though. After putting the gain above 4 on the Bad Monkey, my tone starts to go to shat and the feedback becomes pretty bad. Sooooo, can't really hit a metal tone, but it's definitely heavy enough for a solid hard rock sound.
Quote by Y00p
Neither do I; I can here in Holland though.

Did you get the Dual? Because what I'm hearing here, I really like. (He demoes some other cool stuff as well, the Dual alone is somewhere in the first quarter.)

no i have the regular distortion one. i dont really have a use for the dual. if i want a vintage crunch i use my vox amp and if i want a good ol british high gain sound i use my pedal. i never really use both in the same song.

as for the jekyl and hyde ive tried it and can say its very good. i wouldnt say that it has anything on the blackstar distortion however. the blackstar ate a whole bunch of boutique dirtboxes for breakfast. the mi audio tube zone is another good od. i think its a little harsher and less "tubey" than the blackstar.(i wonder why) ive already mentioned the supercharged overdrive which i think is exceptional. it does medium-high gain great but again its not as smooth as valve distortion.
Hmm, the MI-Audio and the Catalinbread ones don't show up in any searches from shops around here, so they're probably not at any local shops, either.

Only the older JH from Visual Sounds would be tryable, the Darkstars and other Visual Sounds aren't, though. I'll have to order them in and try them in the 14-day period.
Quote by GITARdud391
The Jekyll and Hyde is awesome. My friend has one and he loves it. I used it before too and it was great, I'm gonna be getting one myself very soon.

I bought the J&H for my son based completely on hearsay, and it's proven to be a solid investment. The Jekyll side is a respectable TS808 clone (better than the Ibanez TS9, IMHO), and the Hyde side is a pure distortion pedal which goes a lot farther than you'll proably need to go. You can use both sides at the same time for teh extra br00talz, but it takes a little tweaking.

Great sounding, versatile pedal, IMHO.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I bought the J&H for my son based completely on hearsay, and it's proven to be a solid investment. The Jekyll side is a respectable TS808 clone (better than the Ibanez TS9, IMHO), and the Hyde side is a pure distortion pedal which goes a lot farther than you'll proably need to go. You can use both sides at the same time for teh extra br00talz, but it takes a little tweaking.

Great sounding, versatile pedal, IMHO.

And it's hearsay (and reviews and video reviews) that's making me buy it.
the two main contestants would be the Darkstar Dual or the J&H, but I've heard reports that the Darkstar is very noisy when cranked, whereas the J&H is deadsilent. Seeing I use a lot of crankedness, it's seems to be a better choice.

We'll have to find out and see! Thanks for the input!

Last edited by Y00p at Apr 14, 2008,
Hi Y00p- I have the Jekyll and Hyde pedal and I love it!! it kicks ass. Great tone, great crunch, and the sonic possibilities are quite amazing. there is as sheet that comes with it, for a few presets to get you craning, then you just take the initiative and go nuts!