A CONTROVERSIAL cloning scientist is to announce he has created "human-cow" embryos that lived for about a fortnight and theoretically could have been implanted into a woman's womb.

Panayiotis Zavos, who runs a fertility laboratory in the US, made the hybrid embryos by inserting human DNA into the eggs of a cow.

Professor Zavos said the human-cow embryos were "theoretically viable" but emphasised that he had no plans to allow such a hybrid to be born.

"We are not trying to create monsters," he said, claiming his aim was to perfect his cloning techniques without the ethical problems involved in the use of human egg cells.

Professor Zavos said the embryos grew to several hundred cells and appeared to have normal DNA. He will announce the breakthrough at a meeting in London today.

He added that the hybrids had grown beyond the stage, known as differentiation, at which cells showed the first signs of developing into tissues and organs.

This is a crucial test because it implies that the human chromosomes, which contain the DNA, have been left intact. Other people who claim to have created human clones have failed to produce evidence. Professor Zavos's work is taken seriously by some of the scientific community.

the scientists are in the armor.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe

i wish i was a scientist now

probably just a hoax. was there not sombody that claimed he had cloned a human but the whole thing tunred out to be bull****? is is my imagination rather ellaborate this morning?
manbearpig!
Quote by Sasms
tape a chainsaw to your dick then give all of them anal

Quote by Trefellin

Make a pipe bomb and detonate it in your face. Then, persuade one of the ER doctors to leave some of the shrapnel in.
Quote by fretsonfire74
That would be a Minataur. (or Minotaur)
which was half cow and half man. learn ya myths!
Quote by Zugunruhe

that picture reminds me of WoW
Quote by Sasms
tape a chainsaw to your dick then give all of them anal

Quote by Trefellin

Make a pipe bomb and detonate it in your face. Then, persuade one of the ER doctors to leave some of the shrapnel in.
If the eggs are stripped of their cow DNA, which they have to be, they're essentially just a chemical shell. You're not going to get a minotaur from it.

All this "hybrid" talk is sensationalist bull****.
Quote by rizo299
If the eggs are stripped of their cow DNA, which they have to be, they're essentially just a chemical shell. You're not going to get a minotaur from it.

ಥ_ಥ
All my dreams, broken.
D:
Signature.
Quote by rizo299

awww. i want a pet mythical creature :[
i call dibs on the chimera!
Quote by rizo299

are you sure this experiment wont result in a minotaur? really sure? would you be willing to bet your life on it? cause it just so happens i conquered the aforementioned minotaur, and now have him locked in a labyrinth under my bed. how sure are you now?

science always wins.
Quote by Monkey Biscuits
probably just a hoax. was there not sombody that claimed he had cloned a human but the whole thing tunred out to be bull****? is is my imagination rather ellaborate this morning?

Don't know about the human clone, but the cow thing is definitely real. I don't know how he made it work though.

rizo299: The guy never claimed to be making a hybrid, he just used the cow cell and replaced it's DNA with human DNA to avoid the ethical hassles of using a human egg cell. I'm not an expert here, but as far as I know, mammals have practically identical 'chemical shells' as you call it, so I don't see why it should not work.

Though you're right, it's all human DNA, so no minotaurs for us.
Considering any further experiment would be constantly under close supervision, if it did begin to emerge as a manbearpig minotaur monster (points for alliteration?) they would just kill it before it could develop further and start eating virgins and such.
Quote by TheQuailman
Don't know about the human clone, but the cow thing is definitely real. I don't know how he made it work though.

rizo299: The guy never claimed to be making a hybrid, he just used the cow cell and replaced it's DNA with human DNA to avoid the ethical hassles of using a human egg cell. I'm not an expert here, but as far as I know, mammals have practically identical 'chemical shells' as you call it, so I don't see why it should not work.

Indeed, the cow nucleus is removed from the cell, leaving only the shell behind. The nucleus contains 99.9% of the DNA in a cell, the rest being in organelles called mitochondria. The only function of mitochondria is something to do with respiration, and cows and humans have the same respiratory system anyway.
The nucleus from a human body cell is then put into the egg cell.
The cells contain 99.9% human DNA and the last .1% is the same as that in a human anyway.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by TheQuailman

That's what I'm saying, not that it wont work, but that if it did work you'd get a human that would be no different in reality than any other human. You're not going to get man-cows walking around as some people would have you believe.
Quote by Milesthedude
Considering any further experiment would be constantly under close supervision, if it did begin to emerge as a manbearpig minotaur monster (points for alliteration?) they would just kill it before it could develop further and start eating virgins and such.

This is funnier than all the other minotaur posts because it sounds like you're trying to be realistic and factual whilst talking about a minotaur eating virgins.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by rizo299

^liger

But something as different as a cow and a human wouldn't work.
Quote by Nugi

^liger

AWWW!! Its sooo cute!
Quote by Nugi

^liger

I'm not saying hybrids don't or can't exist

I'm saying that the so-called "hybrids" in the experiment don't really qualify as hybrids.