So I've started reading sheet music recently and I'm trying to work out a song that's in G major (I assume it's in G Major using the circle of fifths). The key signature shows only a sharp on the top line... does this mean you only sharpen the F's on this line or do you sharpen all F's in the peice unless otherwise stated?
All F's in the piece.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

also, a tip, the stem of a note is actually to tell you where the next octave of that note is. its true, none of any music teachers iv ever talked to knew that
in case there are any accidentals. these last for the full bar. So if in one bar it uses an F-natural then this lasts for the whole bar and goes back to an F# in the next bar
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
Quote by speedylocs
also, a tip, the stem of a note is actually to tell you where the next octave of that note is. its true, none of any music teachers iv ever talked to knew that
None of the music teachers you've talked with knew this because it isn't true. What is true is that, if there are no other notational considerations to consider, the stem of a note should be an octave in length. However, there are far too many instances in the literature to count of the stem being longer or shorter than an octave. It's far better to know where the octave is than to rely on "stem notation" to give you that information.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Last edited by gpb0216 at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by gpb0216
None of the music teachers you've talked with knew this because it isn't true. What is true is that, if there are no other notational considerations to consider, the stem of a note should be an octave in length. However, there are far too many instances in the literature to count of the stem being longer or shorter than an octave. It's far better to know where the octave is than to rely on "stem notation" to give you that information.

do you have aids? do you play music off of napkins and paintings?
Quote by speedylocs

What is the point of this? If you have any kind of argument, try actually making it.

reported
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums