im thinking about getting a peavy windsor, after my last post ive decided im definitly going tube. is it a good decision? i play anywhere from a7x, to saosin, to paramore. i know it basically only has one channel (clean). so if its worth getting what are some good distortion pedals for the sound of bands i listed above. also is getting the valveking more worth it?
It isn't a clean channel. Clean barely exists on a windsor as it break up so early. You probably will NOT need any distortion pedals for this amp.
I had one for awhile actually, and it was good for hard rock and, with an overdrive (BBE green screamer), metal. however, the utter lack of a clean channel really made me upset so I got rid of it and now ended up with my JCM.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Crank the master and lower the preamp and you have cleans, opposite for distortion. Takes about 5 seconds to switch. Get an overdrive pedal with it instead and it will sound great.
Windsors are really metallic and lifeless. Atleast that's the impression it left on me. It was impossible to dial in an awesome tone.
they arent great amps - even beaten by JVMs from Marshall and things from Laney
Quote by davedoom
they arent great amps - even beaten by JVMs from Marshall and things from Laney

Well, JVM's cost about 2000 dollars while Windsors costs 400. Big surprise there.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I've got one and I love it, its great for the price, however it has absolutely zero clean headroom, just keep that in mind. At low volumes it has nice bluesy cleans but as soon as you turn it up any you get nice marshally distortion...
Or at least that's my opinion. I'm impressed with mine, but as always go to guitar center any try out a couple of amps, because nothing we say will be as important as what you think after playing it.
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
Quote by Fama
Well, JVM's cost about 2000 dollars while Windsors costs 400. Big surprise there.

low price, low quality

thats it i suppose....
Quote by davedoom
low price, low quality

thats it i suppose....

You seem to be implying that high price = high quality. Marshall would actually be the biggest argument against this.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^True
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
Quote by gregs1020
TS - yes. The VK is better.

Meh, the low end Peaveys swin in the sea of mediocrity.

Out of the two, I'd go for the Valveking.

I'd much rather have a lower wattage amplifier to mess around with.

If you want something small and can get rather heavy, I say check out the Krank Rev. Jr.

If you really need the extra wattage, I say get a used Mesa/Boogie DC-5 combo. You can pick them up for cheaper then you'd pay for a Windsor half stack.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
its has high wattage and looks liek marshall
thats all it has going for it
Quote by init24
its has high wattage and looks liek marshall
thats all it has going for it

It doesn't look like a Marshall.

It kind of looks like a 65 amp though. Slightly.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It doesn't look like a Marshall.

It kind of looks like a 65 amp though. Slightly.

thats closer
but its stil kinda ugly and cheap looking
Quote by init24
thats closer
but its stil kinda ugly and cheap looking

Are you talking about the 65 or the Windsor because I can assure you that the 65 doesn't look cheap looking in person nor is it cheap at all
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Archeo Avis
You seem to be implying that high price = high quality. Marshall would actually be the biggest argument against this.

low price, low quality - always

high price, marshall quality - sometimes

how bout that?
Heard many claiming that the windsor has to many knobs that don't make the sound any better.

The valveking is more modern, but think it would be a better choise.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
It's worth it if you turn everything up to 12 (except for the Master Volume) and then put an EQ in the effects loop.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Meh, the low end Peaveys swin in the sea of mediocrity.

Out of the two, I'd go for the Valveking.

Ahem, you implied I was wrong, then agreed with my choice... *scratches head*
Quote by gregs1020
Ahem, you implied I was wrong, then agreed with my choice... *scratches head*

No, I implied that both of those Peaveys aren't too great but If I had to choose out of the two, I'd go with the Valveking...

Did I say 'you're wrong' anywhere in my post bucko?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Did I say 'you're wrong' anywhere in my post bucko?

Then why did you quote me in your post then start your post with "meh"? If you hadn't quoted me, I would have agreed that there was no contradiction.

Meh = not so much.

Classic 30 for the win, what the heck... it's better than either and still a Peavey...
Quote by gregs1020
Then why did you quote me in your post then start your post with "meh"? If you hadn't quoted me, I would have agreed that there was no contradiction.

Meh = not so much.

Classic 30 for the win, what the heck... it's better than either and still a Peavey...

Because you were the lowest post on the page when I posted and I didn't feel like scrolling up to quote the TS.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Because you were the lowest post on the page when I posted and I didn't feel like scrolling up to quote the TS.

I still love ya man. *NON-gay grouphug*

Classic 30 for the win.
Quote by gregs1020
I still love ya man. *NON-gay grouphug*

Classic 30 for the win.

I love you too man!

In a platonic sense of course.

o.O

O.o
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I love you too man!

In a platonic sense of course.

o.O

O.o

I don't love either of you, for the simple fact that a speaker swap in a VK makes it a good amp.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I don't love either of you, for the simple fact that a speaker swap in a VK makes it a good amp.

The VK is a good amp in my opinion. If you read the thread, aside from the "manlove" that is, you would have seen we both like the amp.