Okay so I am really annoyed. I'm tired of hearing radio stations through my amp.
By suggestion here I bought new cables. I made them myself. I got canare GS-6 cable and gold plated neutrik plugs. The cables didn't help at all. I tried plugging in my friends guitar into my rig and he still got radio stations.

I wondered if it was something else in my path to the cabinet so I tried disconnecting everything except the power and the guitar(duh) and listened using headphones. I still got radio stations. Am I right to assume that something is wrong with my preamp?

also is there anything special to making cables other than soldering the shield to the sleeve and the conductor to the tip. I have noticed that the radio stations aren't as noticeable when I grasp the plug on the amp side of the cable.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Last edited by elchico04 at Apr 12, 2008,
Yeah it must be something like that, i used to have a cheapish distortion pedal that picked up french radio. at the very least i can tell you that i don't think the cable has anything to do with it, though i guess i could be wrong.
Is your guitar shielded decently?
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
thats the other factor I was considering but I still get the stations even if my guitar isn't plugged in. I used my friends guitar and still got radio coming through. We both have high end guitars, I have a jackson SL3 and he has some PRS that was like 2 grand USD. However, I know that wiring is very sloppy even in high end guitars so I may consider rewiring and shielding.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
You could try something like a ISP Decimator in the effects loop. Some dude reported that his Decimator blocked radio noise - although see if you can return it to the shop in case it doesn't help.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
This is usually a problem with the amp and not the guitar. Which amp is it happening with? Or is it with more than one amp?
Not taking any online orders.
I used to have a B-52 AT-112 tube combo but now have the problem with the E530 preamp.

And come on, buying a ISP decimator to remedy this? I want to fix the problem not cover it up.

Anyhow thanks for the ideas so far, I called the store I ordered it from (House of ENGL Amps) and the guy said he was going to contact the engineers in germany ASAP.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
it really depends on a lot of things. when i use my wah and have my heel all the way back on the wah while using it, it picks up radio. you might need to shield your strat
I think it's something along the lines of every electric appliance has the ablity to pick up radio waves, for some reason your amp does (might be a radio broadcasting mast nearby?), not sure if it's always "fixable". Why is the Decimator a bad idea for fixing it? You get rid of the radio station + you get rid of extra hum too, win-win in my eyes.

One thing I think I've seen recommended in such a situation is a power conditioner, but I believe you already have one? And I'm not sure if it helps. I wouldn't go as far to say that there's something "wrong" with your preamp, but I guess it might be the cause.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by elchico04
I used to have a B-52 AT-112 tube combo but now have the problem with the E530 preamp.

And come on, buying a ISP decimator to remedy this? I want to fix the problem not cover it up.

Anyhow thanks for the ideas so far, I called the store I ordered it from (House of ENGL Amps) and the guy said he was going to contact the engineers in germany ASAP.

so in other words, hes gonna call you back in 2 or 3 months :P
its a tube amp, change the tubes........DUH

Quote by Fama
One thing I think I've seen recommended in such a situation is a power conditioner, but I believe you already have one? And I'm not sure if it helps. I wouldn't go as far to say that there's something "wrong" with your preamp, but I guess it might be the cause.

exactly what i was thinking too
Yeah I already have a power conditioner and isn't helping.
I have a couple of preamp tubes lying around, I guess I will try that.

and if the guy doesn't call me back in 2-3 days then i'll call back!

I don't want to get a decimator because they are expensive, will add more weight to my rack and make me lose some of my dynamics. It's not that its a bad idea, I would just prefer to see if I can fix this by other means.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04

I don't want to get a decimator because they are expensive, will add more weight to my rack and make me lose some of my dynamics. It's not that its a bad idea, I would just prefer to see if I can fix this by other means.

Oh right, rack setup. I was thinking of the pedal (what is it, around 100 dollars used? Maybe more?). And I thought about the dynamics, but I don't know how low you should set it to block out the radio signal. If you only need to have it set to like the lowest possible stage, it might not kill dynamics.
Quote by Lunchbox362
With noise the first place to start is at the breaker panel. Open the breaker or fuse box and tighten everything down. Over the years they work themselves loose from frequencies generated by the current. Then go to the out lets them selves. You can pick up a cheap outlet tester at radio shack or wherever. This will show you if the outlet is wired right. If not fix. That fixes 90 pecent of noises. I always carry stuff to shows to fix these problems if need be. Goodluck
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
tighten everything down? I have a breaker box and I don't understand what I am supposed to be tightening down.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I had the same problem. The guy at a local music store said it was the wiring around the speaker that picked it up. He told me to move the amp a little bit. I moved the amp across the my room and it stopped picking it up. I dont know if this will work for you but I sugest you give it a shot.
Ooo....how cool. I was just notified that my complaint is going straight to Horst Langer.

I will try moving my amp to the other side of the room to see if it helps.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
tighten everything down? I have a breaker box and I don't understand what I am supposed to be tightening down.
You need to take the front panel off the breaker box. Every wire that goes to a breaker those srews need to be tightened on every breaker. You will have a ground strip in the box those have to be tigtened. Then you have the main cables coming into the box. If you don't feel comtfortable doing this find someone with experience.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd