Hi

Ive been playing for nearly 2 years now and i am a fairly good player, not the best, but im pretty good at rock and blues playing. However i want to learn to shred properly to add a new dimension to my playing, and i need some help of how to go about it, like a schedule almost.
for example:
15 mins scale runs (slow)
5 min speed burst
10 mins sweep picking
etc

Could anyone help me out here? And how much should i practise shredding a day? Any easy songs I could try out this technique on to start of with?
Thanks!
Shredding is quite a vague concept so its difficult to suggest any particular methods, what you could do is practice legato patterns with scales as to build up the speed of your fretting hand, once you get fast at legato you can start to work on alterate picking the notes for the shred style tone.
tbh its mostly down to how much time you've got. Just learn the 7 modes (maybe take one every week, or fortnight) and practice them slowly at first, then build up. Also, try to avoid just playing them up and down, http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-022-MajMelPat.php that contains some very usefull tips.

basically you just want to build up the speed at which you can play the scales, but it wont happen overnight!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Practice with a metronome, and gradually build your speed. I don't really follow a schedule, just do what i feel i need to work on. I started with just straight scale runs, and then went on to other techniques, like sweeping and tapping.

Start with some Metallica solos or something. or some easy Satch stuff.
Quote by TeraBite
just go up and down scales, getting faster and faster, thats kinda how i did it

That's a surefire way to become a boring, monotonous guitarist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by shreddhed
i hope thats not all the time you spend practicing each day

lol no, i was just giving an example. i spend about 45 mins - 1hr + a day.
Thanks for the advice guys, so just going up and down the modes, and learning all the shapes ont he fretboard?
Quote by steven seagull
That's a surefire way to become a boring, monotonous guitarist.

Isn't that what shredding is all about?
Oh, ask me why, and I'll spit in your eye
Quote by st4m
Isn't that what shredding is all about?

No, that's what bad shredding is all about.

If you listen to Paul Gilbert's new album or some of Yngwie Malmsteen's stuff (not all, some of it is soulless) you'll find alot of emotion mixed with shredding.

It's like the epitome of skill, playing cleanly with feeling.
What tends to get missed by wannabe shredders is that the likes of Gilbert, Vai, Satriani, Malmsteem et al have outstanding technical ability, but they also have equally outstanding theoretical knowledge and an incredibly varied range of musical influences.

If you want to be a shredder, but only listen to shred...you're gonna sound like sh1t.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com