Ok right now ive got a piece of crap 10 watt amp for my guitar..and i want to get a new one. So any ideas what is a decent wattage so it soudns really good, and a decent price..i don't want to spend too much. Any suggestions?
There is no wattage at which your amp will sound better. Well... No.
What kind of music are you playing? Do you plan on practicing in an apartment or playing in clubs? These kind of things are necissary when making a decision.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
just practicing and stuff...ive been playing for about a year and my amp is just garbage...really. So idk, my friends guitar sounds better with his amp which is 40 and miens 10...well clearer i guess i mean, not better.
wattage has very little to do with how good the amp sounds. a 40 watt can still sound like crap while some of the 5watt tube amps sound like gold.

if you want good suggestions you need to specify what kind of sound you are looking for and what you usually play. i would recommend the Roland cube series like the Cube 30x. good price, great tone and a good size. if you dont need something that big the microcube is great as well.
Well. If your looking for an amp that has a lot of different tonal options that are really nice, I would really suggest a Vox AD30VT, I have one and I couldn't be more pleased with how it sounds. It has a few nice onboard effects, but it has tubes in the preamp. So even though it has 30 watts, it can still produce great sound at loud volumes, and at low volumes too.
Its about 240 dollars I believe.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
i was in the same position as you a few months ago, dont get a marshall mg or line 6 spider as they sound pretty poor
your best options are the roland cubes or the vox valveatronix amps.
both can model a good range of amps to suit a wide range of genres aswell as several decent built in effects.
i would reccomend you go on both websites where you can watch videos listen to them etc, and see which suits you best.
both seem pretty decent and good value for money
i bought a roland cube30x and have been very pleased, sounds good and can get a decent sound for practically any genre effects are decent too and is plenty loud enough for smallish gigs, can find no fault in it
^well its got one tube.
And really that amp sounds bettor when cranked.
Try looking at fender champXD the Cube and the valvetronix are the popular ones couse, well i dont know beats me i guese these guys never tried a XD at the store, same price, just as verstile with loads of effects and bettor tone overall. I regret buying my valvetronix after trying a XD a couple months after i made my purchase couse you know your ears develop and what sounded good yesterday sounds crap today. Damn you XD for making me fell like I ****ed up for not buying you.
EDIT: and when i say bettor tone overall, the cube and the valvetroninx might aswell be spiders and MG's when compared to the Champ XD. I played it next to a vibrolux and was really impressed especially when cranked, it stood its ground against a the amp it actually sounded like a genuine tube amp
no way the VOX or the Roland could have dont that not in a million years actually capture that kind of a sound
Last edited by the-kidR44 at Apr 12, 2008,
TS, tell us some genres you like, your current guitar and effects, and how much (in currency, not "not a lot") that you're willing to spend.