how would you catergorize the amount of gain for each style of music? ie metal, punk, rock, classic etc...how much gain is needed for each type of music?
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
depends on the amp... 12 oclock gain on one amp might be the same as full gain on another amp
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
im not asking on an amp, im just asking in general
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
Metal takes a lot of gain, jazz dosn't...what are you talking about? I mean...Jack White can get pretty gainy, and he's almost playing bluesy stuff most of the time.

I guess, to answer your silly, generic, generalizing question, Jazz -> Blues -> Classic Rock -> Modern Rock -> Metal.
It's not that simple I think. But you can try to order them relative to each other. But it also varies inside the genres I believe.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
You need to be more specific with your question. Are you looking for a technical answer about gain stages regarding preamp tubes, plate, and circuit resistance or what?
Last edited by Guitarmiester at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by Dozza
Erm... some bands in the same genre might have very different amounts of gain.

Yeah, TS, you are asking a question that requires a very stereotypical answer. Lets take metal for example, Old school metallers like Iron maiden, Black sabbath don't use that much gain, but lets say black metal bands like Dimmu borgir use alot more gain.

Its not really about the different genres, its more about the different sub-genres within each genre.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I think he just wants to get a list of what levels of gain different genres usually use.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Well someone might as well explain stages of gain. I've heard of "pre-amp" distortion etc, etc, but I have no idea what it means.

86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by Fama
I think he just wants to get a list of what levels of gain different genres usually use.

That would depend on the sub-genre...the band...the song...the specific section of the song...
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.