Page 1 of 3
One album that defines death metal as a genre?

I'd be tempted to go with something like 'Legion' by Deicide, or 'Altars of Madness' by Morbid Angel, although it's a pretty difficult decision to make. Also, 'Retribution' by Malevolent Creation, perhaps 'Leprosy' by Death, 'Consuming Impulse' by Pestilence or 'Realm Of Chaos' by Bolt Thrower, or 'Severed Survival' by Autopsy and when I think about it maybe Massacre's 'From Beyond', even though it wqs released afer the fact.
Last edited by mortiis999 at Apr 12, 2008,
Hm, dunno it has alot of Deth Mehtul elements far an beyond really

Hm, technical fret play? check
Basic Powerchord play? check
Blastbeats? check
weird lyrics? check
tremolo picking? check
More things that IM pretty much lazy to remember? most likely check...

Hm didnt notice that by "definitive" you meant chronologically though?

^ (to the metallicaXXXX guy) Shut up.

And I would say Carcass - Necroticism.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
shall we pimpslap metallica off this thread Mortis?

Hm, I shall kind step down fromt his one, seeing the massive time difference really

but as for me to represent death metal as a whole regardless of chronology ... I stand by my pick
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Apr 12, 2008,
a) it depends what Death album it is
b) Death were early, but certainly not the first, nor the true progenitors. Plus their contemporary bands played less obviously thrash sounding material, making them greater 'defining' bands.

I suggested Leprosy largely cos of the fact that line up had half of Massacre (one of whom was Ex Mantas/Death in the first place).
I just realised Master - '85 unrealsed album' tought most bands their tricks (MA etc), so in a way that could be it. Maybe not, as it is still thrash in many ways.

I wouldn't say technicallity is in any way defining of Death Metal eitther.
-shrugs- alot from what I can remember was largely influenced by thrash... still some forms of black metal too -in addition to deth mehtul- but haha, Im stepping out so far from my circle of expertise its not funny , sorry d00dz, and I still think TRITSIO can still pass for standard death metal, just with violins here and there...
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Quote by dead-fish
^ (to the metallicaXXXX guy) Shut up.

And I would say Carcass - Necroticism.

ha ha ha you know its true i have yet to hear a single death metal band that can top death there not the most brutal death metal band ever but in my opinion still the best
because of creativity but yeah there are some other could death metal bands ou there and everyones entiltiled to there own opinion so wtf
I think we have now grasped that metallica72487 cannot grasp the difference between objectivity and subjectivity.

Neither could he pick a username that 72,486 people haven't used before.
its also clear people havent really bothered to read the whole thread, where its kinda like "its who released **** first"

but then also Mortis was kinda misleading, and hence I ran to say TRITSIO cause it pwns hard
Blessed Are The Sick
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by metallica72487
ha ha ha you know its true i have yet to hear a single death metal band that can top death there not the most brutal death metal band ever but in my opinion still the best
because of creativity but yeah there are some other could death metal bands ou there and everyones entiltiled to there own opinion so wtf

If you're going to use the "olol opinion! i iz entitled to it!" card, you might as well not post at all.

Symbolic was weak, SoP suffered heavily from Dream Theater syndrome, Human was indeed very good, and the rest were mediocre. Seriously, the guy wasn't any more special than the Hoffmans, Lalonde (who could play circles around Chucky for months), and definitely not more than Masvidal or Azagthoth. If anything, they all had a creative edge above him.

Cue the Chuck fanboys...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
This is such a difficult question. My top five would have to be Mental Funeral, Altars of Madness, Screams of Anguish, Like An Everflowing Stream, and Left Hand Path.

Chuck owns the Hoffmans, btw.
Seven Churches
Mental Funeral
Fuckin' Death

Nothing else comes close.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
I would like to interject and say that somebody should say Reign In Blood. Not as a definitive album, but as a precursor.
bree bree look how fucking metal i am
Also, Death Metal - Possessed.
Quote by dead-fish
If you're going to use the "olol opinion! i iz entitled to it!" card, you might as well not post at all.

Symbolic was weak, SoP suffered heavily from Dream Theater syndrome, Human was indeed very good, and the rest were mediocre. Seriously, the guy wasn't any more special than the Hoffmans, Lalonde (who could play circles around Chucky for months), and definitely not more than Masvidal or Azagthoth. If anything, they all had a creative edge above him.

Cue the Chuck fanboys...

your ****in crazy death was the ****ing **** the newer albums are even better than the old and alot of those people you mentoined including just about every death metal band has been influced by him so you obviously have no ****ing idea what your talking about dick weed
Quote by pinheadslts75
Blackwater Park by Opeth

Nope.

Blessed Are The Sick
Seven Churches

I'll have a bourbon.
At the Gates' TRITSIO is unmatched by schuldiner, death metal, or melodic grounds, haha =p

and just about dead-fish, poor mortis his thread has been desecrated so bad... like a young adulterous japanese housewife surrounded by 20 japanese men....... oh well well THE POINT OF THE THREAD WAS TO

name albums EARLY in the chronology of DEATH METAL, which might've helped define the whole thing so from say '85 the earliest to 89',
Quote by NosferatuZodd09
At the Gates' TRITSIO is unmatched by schuldiner, death metal, or melodic grounds, haha =p

and just about dead-fish, poor mortis his thread has been desecrated so bad... like a young adulterous japanese housewife surrounded by 20 japanese men....... oh well well THE POINT OF THE THREAD WAS TO

name albums EARLY in the chronology of DEATH METAL, which might've helped define the whole thing so from say '85 the earliest to 89',

At the gates? What the hell are you on acid? lol.
I was gonna say either At the Gates of DEATH bu now idk ive been listening to Oasis and Hootie and the blowfish and they are pretty morbid and ****ing heavy and technical with their capo's and acoustic peaceful melodies

seriously thats what this thread sounds like

No one can say what death metal song/album/band is better than the other

This should be called the post your favorite death metal bands thread. So all you guys with your Cannibal Corpse T-shirts and long hair please bring back the vag soap and go play your guitar
At the Gates -> The Red In The Sky is Ours -> reel deth mehtul

and mortiis will still roll around in his coffin during his morning sleep
Quote by dead-fish

Cue the Chuck fanboys...

Chuck Fanboy reporting:

Death is not a band that defines death metal because honestly they have their own offshoot on what DM is and Prog Metal combined with it. The great thing about Death is that unlike most DM bands they knew how to create metal without relying on fast playing all the time. They used dynamic sounds, which is why they're very interesting. Because of this, Symbolic isn't weak, its actually very strong. TSoP is also a great album, their best in many people's views, Human & ITP very good as well, and even their SBG, Leprosy, and Spiritual Healing were good fun classic DM with a little edge of Chuck's style that no other albums have. Don't bash death, they're a good band. Not DM deffinitive i'd say, but don't talk ****. Oh and honestly they are nothing like Dream Theater or any other band. They're their own band, you simply can't really put them in comparison to others because Chuck was just that unique, just like Atheist and Cynic even though being both Prog & tech death metal are usually grouped together sound completely different from one another.

And yes, Masvidal, Azgoroth, etc. had different styles. many of them were better players than Chuck in respect to technicality and what they could do, but Chuck didn't need to be super technical or anything to still make interesting and good music, and the fact that every single death album is basically all of Chuck's work, makes him more impressive as a composer than the rest. The others that you mentioned are all great too, but Chuck honestly has the creative edge over them because of how he crafted Metal albums in ways others could not craft them while maintaining their "metalness".

Again, don't bash Death. They've been an inspiration to many and through it Chuck came up with amazing music.

For a deffinitive DM album, I'd say Legion (Deicide), Consuming Impulse (Pestilence), Dawn of Possession (Immolation), Pierced From Within (Suffocation), or Left Hand Path (Entombed).

Again don't bash Death. They may not be deffinitive DM, but they're a damn good musical creation and have made an impact on the metal community because of it.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Hm he had many guests, did they write music for their respective parts, as say, drums? Im certain uh the guest guitarists wrote their own solos right? :S
yes... but the point is because none of the members of band ever made it past 1 CD except Chuck, it was largely all under his influence, and I'm sure he was very open to their creativity and their musical input, but he was the driving force behind the music, they added their little finesse every here and their, can you say the same about any of the other artists that dead-fish mentioned? not really because most of them have their own style but they craft music with a band that they keep around because they gel and the entire band influences the music, not solely one person with small touches from various people stopping by.

Think of it this way. If you and 3 of your friends build a house and stay to build all of it and have large parts in building it, it'll be a collaboration effort with each of you being in accordance with others and having a composite house built from your 4 different perspectives and thoughts on the potential house. However if you build a house yourself and hire people to complete certain parts of the house with you, it will be all your own design, you will have the full blueprint and they may add their own little finesse by saying "you know we could put this right over here instead, what do you think?" and you can approve or disapprove, in the end the way with you hiring people to complete different parts of the house will make the entire house your own, where as if you and your 3 friends build the house it'll be a shared production and composition. Chuck was the guy who hired people to help him "build parts of his house" whereas most bands are the 4 friends who "build a whole house together"

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Page 1 of 3