alright, so i've been playing an ashdown MAG300 1x15, and it cuts it for smaller shows. for medium-sized shows though, i've been having to push it to the point where i run out of headroom and my signal starts distorting. of course i've lowered the input level some, but it doesn't entirely help.

i've read that without an extension cab, i won't get the full 300 watts out my amp. if i was to add on something like a 2x10 cab, would that give me some more room to work with, without having to crank the amp too far?

thanks
I've got thtat same cab. I remember that when I bought it, a friend of mine who works in the shop showed me how it works with additional cabs, and as long as you have another 8ohm it should be fine.
Doesn't have to be that cab, though it might sound a tiny bit better as it's got similar speakers. As long as it's 8-ohm, you could buy an 810 or something.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Doesn't have to be that cab, though it might sound a tiny bit better as it's got similar speakers. As long as it's 8-ohm, you could buy an 810 or something.

Who on earth would make an 8 ohm 810? 810s are made to be a stack in there own right, so run off the standard 4 ohms for a whole rig. If they are planning on an 810 being half a rig...
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Who on earth would make an 8 ohm 810? 810s are made to be a stack in there own right, so run off the standard 4 ohms for a whole rig. If they are planning on an 810 being half a rig...

Sometimes theyre 4ohm/8ohm splitable so if youre using an amp at 1200W 4ohm bridged you can hook up two 8ohm cabs.

I wouldn't use an 8x10. This is because you'd only be putting 150W into a cab that can handle 900W+ comfortably. A lack of power means the voice coils (the coils of wire in the loud speakers) dont work properly and you won't get the best sound out of it and I think you can cause damage.

In conclusion - a 2x10 or 4x10 rated between 200W and 300W RMS at 8ohms would fit your needs perfectly.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
thanks for all the helpful replies, everyone.

so looking at the market for 2x10 cabs, the easiest thing to do would be to just buy the matching MAG cab, but i'm well aware that the MAG line doesn't have the greatest speakers in the world. i'm working around about a $400 budget for this, any suggestions for other cabs that i could try out?
While I don't rate Ashdowns 15" MAG speakers highly I find their 10's" to be a fair bit better. Worth a try.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2