I can't figure out what size amp I need. I have two 12" MTX RoadThunder subs.http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/roadThunder.cfm I'm assuming I need 200W for each subs? Do I need an amp that can put out 400W at 4Ω? If anyone can make this less confusing and tell me how powerful of an amp I need, I'd gladly appreciate it.
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
I would go with an amp that puts out at least a bit more per channel than the speaker's rms handling power. Most car gear is 4 ohms but I do see some 3 ohm gear poppin up now. But yes, in this case go with 4 ohm amp cuz your speakers are.
So when I look at the specs, I need an amp that can put out 200W x 2 @ 4Ω? Either 200W or 250W. Also, would it be easier to just go with a 2-channel amp since I have 2 subs?

Quote by ShelbyLynn

Quote by HanPlaysBass
Quote by vicd08
So when I look at the specs, I need an amp that can put out 200W x 2 @ 4Ω? Either 200W or 250W. Also, would it be easier to just go with a 2-channel amp since I have 2 subs?

actually, if you're just powering your subs with the amp, a single channel will be fine. It will have inputs for both speakers, and that is considered 1 channel. And since it will be a single channel amp, just make sure that it is at least 200 w rms @4 ohms, but the 250w would be better. When it comes to car amps, you will see some generic brands that have huge, crazy watts listed on it. Kinda like Behringer, but stay away from those. A reputable brand, with far lower watts will be just the same and better, and you know they will be reliable.
So if a 1-channel amp puts out 200W @ 4Ω, it will put out 200W to each sub?

In the description of this one sub on eBay, it says "200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms" Wouldn't that split up to 100W for 2 subs?

Quote by ShelbyLynn

Quote by HanPlaysBass
Quote by vicd08
So if a 1-channel amp puts out 200W @ 4Ω, it will put out 200W to each sub?

In the description of this one sub on eBay, it says "200 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms" Wouldn't that split up to 100W for 2 subs?

No, in car gear world it goes by channel, not left and right. Damn, you makin me think . I used to do this stuff as my hobby a few years ago. Let me look at my gear and I'll let you know

******you do need a 2 channel amp. To give you an idea, I have a 2 channel amp that runs 250 watts rms @4 ohms powering a 1x12 woofer with 180 watts rms handling, but I have it bridged, so I'm actually driving that one woofer with probably around 500 watts or so.
Last edited by rockabilly1955 at Apr 12, 2008,