I currently have an Ibanez RG5EX1 guitar with an Edge III Locking Tremolo.
It's a great guitar, but I would like to be able to play in standard tuning as well as drop-d. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the locking nut and place locking tuners on instead, as well as a hipshot tuner for the Low-E String.
Thanks For Any Help.
I'd replace your Edge 3 first..
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
To do what youre thinking of doing means you CANT use tremolo anymore. in which case just block it off

you cant replace a locking nut with locking tuners and still use tremolo. Maybe look into a D-tuna? it restricts some things but if you mod your guitar you can cut a small block for your D-tuna to normally go in and out of your guitar.
The locking nut has nothing to do with the 5 other strings going out of tune. If you're going to have a floating trem, not having a locking nut is asking for tuning problems.

Tremol-no is your friend, but before you do that, if you can afford it, swap out the Edge 3 for an Edge Pro. No point in modding a trem that will crumble into dust in 6 months' time.
Isnt this what the EVH D-Tuna is For?

EDIT:
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

you cant replace a locking nut with locking tuners and still use tremolo.

And why Wouldnt He? its Not like the Thing is going to be going out Constantly if he does it unless he REALLY abuses the whammy.
Last edited by Tubyboulin at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by Tubyboulin
Isnt this what the EVH D-Tuna is For?

EDIT:

And why Wouldnt He? its Not like the Thing is going to be going out Constantly if he does it unless he REALLY abuses the whammy.

I could be wrong.. im not saying im 100% right and perfect

but i think it would go constantly out of tune
Quote by evh1776
I currently have an Ibanez RG5EX1 guitar with an Edge III Locking Tremolo.
It's a great guitar, but I would like to be able to play in standard tuning as well as drop-d. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the locking nut and place locking tuners on instead, as well as a hipshot tuner for the Low-E String.
Thanks For Any Help.

The hipshot isn't really make any difference, the bridge is still going to shift when you change the tuning of the low E which is the main issue with changing tunings on a floyd so you need some kind of tremsetter too.

That's a hell of a lot of money to waste on a crappy bridge like the Edge 3, the easiest, cheapest thing for you to do is block the trem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com