im using the speed mechanic book by troy stetina my friend let me borrow and i been practicing it but something that bothers me is the fingerings he uses should i use the typical one finger per fret rule or use his approach

one example that i find weird is this one

e-----5--------
B--------8(10)-

for 5 he uses finger one but for the bends he uses finger 2 and 3 isnt that bad technique why not use 234 instead or just use 34 instead of doing the stretch he does

another example i find weird is this one he use the a minor pentatonic scale and instead of doing a pull off such as 8p5 with fingers 1 and 4 he uses 3 and 1

he uses all kind of weird fingerings even for arpeggios

should i practice those kind of fingerings or stay with the one finger per fret rule since is and try to stay consistent like that

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
I personally prefer the 1 finger per fret rule in most situations. It's safe and universal - you wanna add in any notes in between, you'll have 2 fingers to choose from rather than one. And heck, it may have taken some practice, but my pinky can do whatever his ring finger can. I'm glad I kept practicing, it simply makes you more versatile.

Of course, using your ring finger for the minor third also has its merits. Try this lick in E minor on the high e string: -14p12-15p12-17p12-15p12-(repeat). Kirk Hammett and all those pentatonic fellows use this kinda stuff all the time. It 'requires' use of all 4 fingers - ring finger on the m3.

To summarise, an answer I always like to give: practice everything .
Quote by stefan1988

he uses all kind of weird fingerings even for arpeggios

I'd not take everything Stetina says to the bank. If it works for him, that's fine, but
that doesn't mean there may not be a better way.

For the bend example you gave, I think your reasoning is totaly sound. Not so
much for the 1 finger per fret rule (that ultimately gets broken all the time), but
for another reason.

His fingering avoids the pinky. It's usually weak. BUT, if you can stregthen it
thru practice that bend can be even EASIER to do because you have 2 other
fingers supporting it, not just one.

EDIT: BTW I have the book too. I use different fingering all the time compared
to his. Sometimes his just don't make all that much sense to me. Lacking any
explanation, I'd go with my better judgement.
Last edited by edg at Apr 13, 2008,
Of course, using your ring finger for the minor third also has its merits. Try this lick in E minor on the high e string: -14p12-15p12-17p12-15p12-(repeat). Kirk Hammett and all those pentatonic fellows use this kinda stuff all the time. It 'requires' use of all 4 fingers - ring finger on the m3.

yeah sometimes i see the use of other fingerings but its just weird the way he plays simple stuff by using all other fingers

EDIT: BTW I have the book too. I use different fingering all the time compared
to his. Sometimes his just don't make all that much sense to me. Lacking any
explanation, I'd go with my better judgement.

ok thanks for advice guys i appreciate it i be sure to get back and practice the stuff with the fignering i normally use
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash