So last night at youth group I had a water drinking contest with a friend for fun. I drank 12 cups and he puked after 10 so I won. But I also heard that you can possibly die from this and wanted to know if it is true?
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
You had a drinking contest with water?

Hardcore.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
You can possibly die from everything.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
lol yeah I know its not very exciting but it was at a church otherwise maybe alcohol.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Yep.

Has to do with depleting all the salt or something from your body?

Some guy died awhile back from it around here. Oh well, keep at it.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
It can kill. Overhydration causes your cells to become overly inflated and crushed your internal organs.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
yes you can that has happened when people have the good old drink water and hold your pee contests...
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Yea you can, water intoxication i believe its called, all the water flushes everything out your body. Is the common demise of ecstasy users from what i've been told.

"Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning) is a potentially fatal disturbance in brain function that results when the normal balance of electrolytes in the body is pushed outside of safe limits by water.[1] Normal, healthy (both physically and nutritionally) individuals have little to worry about accidentally consuming too much water. Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume more than ten litres over the course of just a few minutes, or long bouts of intensive exercise during which electrolytes are not properly replenished, yet massive amounts of fluid are still consumed."

Courtesy of everyones friend 'Wikipedia'
Last edited by SilentMoose at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by Kensai
You can possibly die from everything.

That is the most philosophical thing I have ever heard in my life.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quite apart from the fact you're distending your stomach. It's not even as if there's anything to stop you before you do chunder, as you keep telling yourself "It's only water!"
yes you can that has happened when people have the good old drink water and hold your pee contests...

Yeah the rules were either that or if you puke and all the sudden he just pukes everywhere (luckily not on me) and I started yelling " I win!"
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Yea you can die. what happens is that there is so much water in your body that the cells overinflate until they burst. Its all pretty cool. But thats why your friend threw up, he reached his equilibrium point and his cells were starting to burst, so his body was getting rid of the excess water. You didnt throw up because you were less hydrated than him. Given enough to drink you would have thrown up and eventually died too.
you can die from anthing... right now as your typing your keyboard could electrocute you and kill you. or an earthquake could occur and your house could fall down on you. or the iranians and north koreans could nuke us right now... boom

have fun falling asleep tonite
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass
Gallien-Kreuger Backline 600
ESP LTD EC-1000
Line 6 Spider III 75
Quote by gm jack
It can kill. Overhydration causes your cells to become overly inflated and crushes your internal organs.

Exactly what I wanted to post.

What is wrong with kids these days? Hell, we used vodka for that kind of competitions back in the day.
Quote by gm jack
It can kill. Overhydration causes your cells to become overly inflated and crushed your internal organs.

haha I laughed at that one. Reminded me of the Monty Python skit.

Anyways:

Drinking too much water rarely causes overhydration when the body's systems are working normally. People with heart, kidney, or liver disease are more likely to develop overhydration because their kidneys are unable to excrete water normally. It may be necessary for people with these disorders to restrict the amount of water they drink and/or adjust the amount of salt in their diets.

"Overhydration can cause acidosis (a condition in which blood and body tissues have an abnormally high acid content), anemia, cyanosis (a condition that occurs when oxygen levels in the blood drop sharply), hemorrhage, and shock. The brain is the organ most vulnerable to the effects of overhydration. If excess fluid levels accumulate gradually, the brain may be able to adapt to them and the patient will have only a few symptoms. If the condition develops rapidly, confusion, seizures, and coma are likely to occur"

If you are healthy, you would probably throw it up, or piss the water out (voluntarily or not. If not then expect a UTI) before a fatal amount builds up. Unless of course you are consuming it at a ridiculous pace, then you are probably screwed.

Don;t take my word for it though :p.

Source: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/overhydration.jsp
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

Alvarez RD-8
Ibanez Jet King 2
Last edited by Pinkbelly at Apr 12, 2008,
Quote by TheQuailman
Exactly what I wanted to post.

What is wrong with kids these days? Hell, we used vodka for that kind of competitions back in the day.

I'm keeping it real. The only thing with vodka contests is you start doing random stuff, like throw microwaves off second story buildings.

Which reminds me I still have to clean that up.
it's called hyponatremia
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony with gold hardware
Fender American Stratocaster 3 color sunburst maple fretboard tortoise shell pickguard
Martin 000-M Auditorium
Mesa Boogie F-50
Maxon OD-9
Dunlop 535Q Wah pedal
Quote by SilentMoose
Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests, in which individuals attempt to consume more than ten litres over the course of just a few minutes

Holy sweet ****. I cant imagine drinking 10L of water in 24 hours, let alone a few minutes.
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan

Alvarez RD-8
Ibanez Jet King 2
Quote by i(ncubus)play

Are you serious?
Quote by Archaon
Are you serious?

You're just jealous because you didn't say it first.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
You're just jealous because you didn't say it first.

...Damn clever bastard. You've won this round, but the war is far from over.
Quote by i(ncubus)play

When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
Yep.

Has to do with depleting all the salt or something from your body?

Some guy died awhile back from it around here. Oh well, keep at it.

...radio contest?
because around here there was a radio station that had a thing where whoever could drink the most water without taking a piss would win a wii, and someone died from the sodium in their system being ****ed up or something.
Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the cake this morning!

yeah, that's an inside joke. i made it different colors and sizes to be obnoxious...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16660273/

Strange, 28, was one of about 18 contestants who tried to win a Nintendo Wii gaming console by seeing how much water they could drink without going to the bathroom. The show's DJs called the contest "Hold your Wee for a Wii."

During the contest, participants were given two minutes to drink an 8-ounce bottle of water and then given another bottle to drink after a 10-minute break.

Strange may have drunk nearly two gallons, witnesses said. She appeared ill, one contestant said.

After the contest, Strange called in sick to work. She was found dead at her home about five hours later.

The Sacramento County coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicated she died of water intoxication.