Hey guys, besides the obvious differences(the monkey grip, body shape, etc) what are some differences and pro's and con's between these two guitars? I know the JEM is made of alder and the SZ is made is made of heavy mahogany and is neck thru. I'm looking for a good comparison between the necks.
Thanks!
the sz doesnt have a floaty bridge. i think it has stickey neck finish and uses different pickups. the jem uses good pups and a shaven neck thats a bolty and has a fr type thing.
Quote by JoelTheShredder
the sz doesnt have a floaty bridge. i think it has stickey neck finish and uses different pickups. the jem uses good pups and a shaven neck thats a bolty and has a fr type thing.

uh...quit talking.

S series guitars have 22 frets (now there's and exception, but only 1) The jem has a thin tung(I think...either way its fast) neck, 20-24 is scalloped, has nice pickups, and a floating trem, and as you mentioned the monkey grip.

The S on the other hand is a fixed bridge without the good pickups. You just have to make the decision on if you want a floating trem or not.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
SZ is fixed bridge, mahogany guitar which would be great for rhythm and even some lead playing.

However, the JEM is designed as a lead player's guitar with a flatter, thinner neck and the Edge/Edge Pro bridge. The body will probably be a bit lighter and the tone a bit brighter as well.
what's the difference between a floating and a normal trem?
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

Standard trem would be like a fender, where you don't have the locking nut, generally used for subtle whammy effects.

A floyd rose style/floating/double locking tremolo has a locking nut and fine tuners which are used to keep the guitar in tune. You can abuse the whammy bar much more as long as its a good quality tremolo system ie: Ibanez Edge pro, lo pro, original edge, ZR, original floyd rose, Schaller, Gotoh, or Kahler.