Page 1 of 2
I'm having troubles finding a hi-gain tone through my TonePort GX.
I've played around with the clean settings and they sound AMAZING, but I'm having a really hard time finding a good heavy setting.
I'm looking for a good death metal/black metal tone. like Nile and Behemoth.

help?...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Is it really that great?
I may pick up one for the hecks of it.
I'm not sure how toneports work, but try out a higher gain amp model, good amount of bass and treble, and maybe scoop your mids a bit?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
hey man i have that and i like using the Blossom amp setting with the sceamer let me know if that works out
im in the fastlane on the highway to hell
Quote by darkarbiter7
Is it really that great?
I may pick up one for the hecks of it.
I'm not sure how toneports work, but try out a higher gain amp model, good amount of bass and treble, and maybe scoop your mids a bit?

the cleans are good, but im having a hard time finding a good metal tone.
i've been at it for like hours, and no avail.

i must say though, it is what it is, a great deal for $50.

i know its possible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-A729GML6k
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by syd-young
hey man i have that and i like using the Blossom amp setting with the sceamer let me know if that works out

what kind of sound do you get out of that set-up?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I just checked out a few songs by Nile on youtube, wasn't all that impressed with their tone. Try using:

- Amp: Spinal Puppet
- Cab: Treadplate or Line6 4x12
- Bass: Don't go crazy with the low end, the Pod and Toneport get muddy fast
- Mids: Obviously you're going to want to scoop them to get a tone similar to those guys
- Treble: About 3 or 4 o'clock
- Presence: 1-3 o'clock

The parametric EQ is key to getting good tones out of the Pod and Toneport, but you need to know how to tweak it.
Amp Model: Line6 Spinal Puppet
Cab Model: 4x12 1978 Brit Celest T-75s
Drive: 8
Bass: 6
Mid: 4
Treble: 10
Presence: 10
Volume: whatever you feel like

Reverb:
Medium Hall
PreDelay: 50%
Decay: 62%
Tone: 50%
Mix: 42%

At least this works for me
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Guitarmiester
I just checked out a few songs by Nile on youtube, wasn't all that impressed with their tone. Try using:

- Amp: Spinal Puppet
- Cab: Treadplate or Line6 4x12
- Bass: Don't go crazy with the low end, the Pod's and Toneport's get muddy fast
- Mids: Obviously you're going to want to scoop them to get a tone similar to those guys
- Treble: About 3 or 4 o'clock
- Presence: 1-3 o'clock

The parametric EQ is key to getting good tones out of the Pod's and Toneport's, but you need to know how to tweak it.

right now i have the Spinal Puppet through a Green 4x12 20's no mids, through a screamer, i would actually live more of a Behemoth tone, i like theirs better.

the EQ is difficult to use for me, but i have tweaked it.
i think i have too much bass though, because you're right, they do get very muddy, very fast.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Keep that amp and cab model then. Try backing off the amp models gain, roll it back anywhere from 10-12 o'clock. You don't want to use a lot of gain for rhythm tones, there's too much gain on tap anyway. Most of my rhythm patches have the gain set fairly low. Set the Screamer up like this:

- Drive: 0
- Gain: 40+ (set to taste)
- Tone: 30

When using the parametric EQ, you want to take out the low end frequency to get rid of the boomy-ness. So, cut anywhere from 45-90. You'll then be able to add more bass (from the amp model) to compensate.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Keep that amp and cab model then. Try backing off the amp models gain, roll it back anywhere from 10-12 o'clock. You don't want to use a lot of gain for rhythm tones, there's too much gain on tap anyway. Most of my rhythm patches have the gain set fairly low. Set the Screamer up like this:

- Drive: 0
- Gain: 40+ (set to taste)
- Tone: 30

When using the parametric EQ, you want to take out the low end frequency to get rid of the boomy-ness. So, cut anywhere from 45-90. You'll then be able to add more bass (from the amp model) to compensate.

what'd you mean but cut?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
The parametric EQ allows you to boost or cut frequencies. You'll want to cut anywhere in the 45-90 range to get rid of that boomy low end.
Quote by Guitarmiester
The parametric EQ allows you to boost or cut frequencies. You'll want to cut anywhere in the 45-90 range to get rid of that boomy low end.

what about the gain for the low end?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by Guitarmiester
Anywhere from about -2.0 to -5.0 should do it, use your ears.

ok, now what about everything else?
lol.

im hopeless...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
There's really no 'magic' settings with the parametric EQ. That's something you have to play around with to really understand it. I wouldn't even know where to begin when attempting to explain how to use the parametric EQ. You'll learn with experience.
Quote by Guitarmiester
There's really no 'magic' settings with the parametric EQ. That's something you have to play around with to really understand it. I wouldn't even know where to begin when attempting to explain how to use the parametric EQ. You'll learn with experience.

ok, ill give these settings a go, i'll let you know how it turns out.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
You can always upload the patch over on CustomTone.com when you're done. Then post the link and I'll check it out and maybe tweak it a bit more if you want.
Quote by Guitarmiester
You can always upload the patch over on CustomTone.com when you're done. Then post the link and I'll check it out and maybe tweak it a bit more if you want.

i tried them and they all sound like a wet fart.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I meant, you could upload your patch to Custom Tone, post the link, and I'll download your patch and possibly tweak it some more if you'd like.
Quote by ugmung
I'm having troubles finding a hi-gain tone through my TonePort GX.
I've played around with the clean settings and they sound AMAZING, but I'm having a really hard time finding a good heavy setting.
I'm looking for a good death metal/black metal tone. like Nile and Behemoth.

help?...

I had the UX1 for a week before selling it for many reasons...

First off I found the cleans to be good as well...but any crunch or distortions were either tinny or muddy to my ear, i could not stand them.
you can EQ them a bit to fix some but I ended up switching to a new program in the end, Amplitube2.
Peavey are releasing Revalver III sometime this year, promises to deliver some pretty decent amp modelling of their amp range and a few other copies.
i had an idea. Since i got the TonePort so it'll be easier to record, i'm thinking about just Mic'ing up my amp to the TonePort.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by exitmusic
try watching this guys video here although he normally uses his for in flames tones

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rFQFG8sopII

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a5xzOmcYCY8&feature=related

I like In Flames, their tone isnt bad...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
You know you can download high gain amp modelers for it right? The metal pack on the Line6 site is 50 bucks but I'm sure if you searched around you may find it for free.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by ugmung
i had an idea. Since i got the TonePort so it'll be easier to record, i'm thinking about just Mic'ing up my amp to the TonePort.

i own a toneport gx and was wondering this if a bought a shure sm57 and an adapter so i could plug a mic into the toneport would that sound good any one else here tried that before
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
Quote by Meatball200
Peavey are releasing Revalver III sometime this year, promises to deliver some pretty decent amp modelling of their amp range and a few other copies.

MkIII has been out for a couple months now. Out of everything I've used, the Revalver products are far beyond any other modeling software available at this time.

Quote by nebiru
You know you can download high gain amp modelers for it right? The metal pack on the Line6 site is 50 bucks but I'm sure if you searched around you may find it for free.

The model packs for the Toneport are $24.99 and $50 for all three packs. You can't get the model packs for free. You can waste time looking, but there's no way to get them for free via torrents or anything like that. Line6 is very strict with their downloads. Once the model packs are bought and installed, they're attached to that unit.
Quote by Guitarmiester
MkIII has been out for a couple months now. Out of everything I've used, the Revalver products are far beyond any other modeling software available at this time.

The model packs for the Toneport are $24.99 and $50 for all three packs. You can't get the model packs for free. You can waste time looking, but there's no way to get them for free via torrents or anything like that. Line6 is very strict with their downloads. Once the model packs are bought and installed, they're attached to that unit.

that and its only 50$.. you can only buy 1 NEW behringer pedal for that low (or some used stuff).. with the metal pack you're getting roughly 8 more sounds that will actually sound alrite.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i dont want to waste my money though, just in case its not what im looking for.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
You can buy the Metal Shop model pack and mess around with it for a few days. If you don't like it or find it to be all that great, you can return it. Line6 offers a 30-day return policy on the model packs. You can read about the return policy here.

30-Day Return Policy

It is legit. I bought the Metal Shop model pack for my XT and ended up returning it two days later to buy all three packs. It takes 2-3 days to receive the refund, depends how fast your bank is at processing the return.
Quote by Guitarmiester
You can buy the Metal Shop model pack and mess around with it for a few days. If you don't like it or find it to be all that great, you can return it. Line6 offers a 30-day return policy on the model packs. You can read about the return policy here.

30-Day Return Policy

It is legit. I bought the Metal Shop model pack for my XT and ended up returning it two days later to buy all three packs. It takes 2-3 days to receive the refund, depends how fast your bank is at processing the return.

oh, ill give it a shot if my mic thing doesnt work.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by Guitarmiester

30-Day Return Policy

wait...
so did you like what it offered?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Yes. I would have stuck with just the Metal Shop, but I really wanted the Bogner XT-C amp model that the Collectors Classics Pack offers. So, I went for all three packs. I barely use any of the effects or most of the CC amp models, but they're worth it. Some more cab models would have been nice.
Quote by Guitarmiester
Yes. I would have stuck with just the Metal Shop, but I really wanted the Bogner XT-C amp model that the Collectors Classics Pack offers. So, I went for all three packs. I barely use any of the effects or most of the CC amp models, but they're worth it. Some more cab models would have been nice.

do you seriously think ill find what im looking for in the Metal Shop?
cause i already have something called the Metal Shop until the Gold Bundles on GearBox...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by Guitarmiester
Can you use any of the patches under the Metal Shop bundle?

idk i cant get online with the computer i use the GX with.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
If you had them you should just be able to go to Gold Bundle, Metal shop and there'll be a list of the presets there. Deity, Criminal, BigBottom etc.

I'm pretty sure Revalver III hasn't been released yet but a link would be appreciated if you can find one
I thought it was already out, but it's not. The latest Sweetwater catalog I received about two months ago had the Mk III for sale, but checking their website says otherwise.
Quote by exitmusic
i own a toneport gx and was wondering this if a bought a shure sm57 and an adapter so i could plug a mic into the toneport would that sound good any one else here tried that before

yea if you get an XLR to TRS adapter you should be able to run any dynamic mic. Condensers need power so you can cant run those...

The 57 is a fair mic but it really needs a lot of gain for vocals so be aware of this since the GX and other toneports dont have quiet or good preamps on board...

Quote by ugmung
do you seriously think ill find what im looking for in the Metal Shop?
cause i already have something called the Metal Shop until the Gold Bundles on GearBox...

normally I don't advise doing this but if you are highly unsure of if you will get a sound you like, why don't you just download a torrent of the metal pack or something like that?
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 15, 2008,
Page 1 of 2