the one major problem i feel i have right now that is hindering my advancement in guitar is the fact that i cant use my pinky when playing lead. i ca use it fine when playing rhythm but as soon as it comes to solos and some riffs i lose a finger and hence lose speed and cleanliness in my playing

does anybody have any tips as to how i could eliminate this problem?
Do finger exercises. Play 4 note arpeggios, one note per finger. Play the chromatic scale with 4 notes per string, one note per finger, etc. Just work on it and have patience. It takes a while to get good control with the pinky, if you haven't used it much for this purpose.
Actually, Guitar hero helps develop people pinkys if they arn't able to use them playing guitar.
thanks guys, i've tried doing those but always seem to wander off at a slant and build the bad pinky habit in by playing a song and not using my pinky, stupid short attention span. do you recommend i structure my practices or just try to concentrate harder?
Quote by nightraven
not very much. i wouldn't take this approach. i'd practise on a real guitar, at least you'll be using strings instead of big buttons. using strings will make you become more comfortable and your accuracy will improve as well.

It's a good start. Because some of the guitar hero songs basically force you to use your pinky, so you start using it without even noticing. Which you will start to do as you play the real guitar.
Quote by Guitarfreak777
Actually, Guitar hero helps develop people pinkys if they arn't able to use them playing guitar.

That's how I got mine stronger...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls