I'm getting ready to clean my fretboard with this Gerlitz Guitar Honey. I just had a few questions before I started. I wanted to know was it alright that I took all the strings off my guitar and then applied this and then rubbed it with some super fine steel wool? Is that how you do it and is that safe? Thanks in advance for the help.

Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated.
I would not use steel wool, no matter how fine it might be. Use an old toothbrush instead. Gets the job done and it's guaranteed not to scratch your fretboard or the finish.

Taking all the strings off is totally fine, as long as you put new strings on when you're done. Leaving the guitar without any strings for a few days, or weeks, could leave you with some truss rod problems.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Oh okay, cool thanks. Now as for applying the Gerlitz to the fretboard.. do I do it before I scrub it down with a toothbrush or after then wipe it off with a cloth?
Depending on the guitar its not always ok to take all the strings off at once since the neck can then relax and that'll cause some problems. You should be fine but it happens.
On the eight day we spoke back...

let there be sound.
Well I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio.. should I be fine? And also I'm still wondering about the previous question as well.
put the stuff on to clean it and leave it on for maybe a minute or two and then wipe it off with a cloth. i prefer lemon oil since i can use it on the strings and it acts like a lube.
Quote by ShutDown785
I would not use steel wool, no matter how fine it might be. Use an old toothbrush instead. Gets the job done and it's guaranteed not to scratch your fretboard or the finish.

Taking all the strings off is totally fine, as long as you put new strings on when you're done. Leaving the guitar without any strings for a few days, or weeks, could leave you with some truss rod problems.

Correct...except that 0000 steel wool is the #1 best way to clean an unfinished fretboard. Of course if you have a clear-coated maple board, steel wool is a bad idea, but he has an LP, so it's no problem.

TS, heres a great guide for cleaning a guitar http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm
if you use a toothbrush make sure it is a new one. i heard that left over toothpaste, water, tooth crap, etc is not good for rosewood. Keep water away for sure. Is that guitar honey actually lemon oil? I use a lemon oil fretboard spray and leave it on there a bit. It is actually good to let it soak in and then bleed out. Rosewood only. I use .0000 wool but maybe only once or twice a year and i certainly would grind down with it.

Maple fretboards totally different. I hear water and even lighter fluid is used to clean those.

hope that helps
Hi there - You must be sure to use only 000 grade wire wool (Rustins do a good one). Don't be tempted to "make do" with some other grade!
The toothbrush idea is a good one, providing it's new and not contaminated, but it won't polish your frets too well.
Checkout the link below about using the Gerlitz stuff.

http://www.poshguitars.com/poshguitars/In_Use/Entries/2009/6/3_How_I_use_the_Gerlitz_range.html
Quote by POSH Guitars
Hi there - You must be sure to use only 000 grade wire wool (Rustins do a good one). Don't be tempted to "make do" with some other grade!
The toothbrush idea is a good one, providing it's new and not contaminated, but it won't polish your frets too well.
Checkout the link below about using the Gerlitz stuff.

http://www.poshguitars.com/poshguitars/In_Use/Entries/2009/6/3_How_I_use_the_Gerlitz_range.html

actually 0000 is the most preffered really.
Quote by Billyjson
Depending on the guitar its not always ok to take all the strings off at once since the neck can then relax and that'll cause some problems. You should be fine but it happens.

That is just not true. I am arguing this point in another thread as well. In 27 years, I have had tons of guitars. I always remove all strings when changing strings, so I can clean the fretboard. I have talked to all the techs at all the local music shops. I watch techs that put vids on youtube. They all remove all the strings on fixed bridge guitars when changing strings. There is no problem whatsoever in removing all the strings from a fixed bridge guitar. If you have a guitar that is so cheap and has a neck that is so soft that taking the strings off while cleaning and restringing bends your neck, then you need a new guitar. In my 27 years of guitar, I have never ever had a neck bend or warp from changing all of my strings at once. Its just a myth.

Now dealing with a FR type bridge, thats a different story, but not because of neck relief, but because of the bridge. If I am not doing a total setup, on my FR guitars, I change one string at a time.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
If you have a maple fretboard, do not use oil, or guitar honey, or anything like that on it. Maple fretboards are sealed, so the oil, or honey, will not penetrate it and will just gunk up your fretboard. Also, if you are doing the 0# steelwool clean on a rosewood fretboard, do not apply the oil till afterwards, then just put enough to give it a wet look, let it penetrate, then wipe the excess off.
Gear:
Ibanez Prestige 1421F
Epi Les Paul Ultra (With SD JB/Jazz pups)
Bugera 120w 333xl 212 combo
Peavey ValveKing 50w 112 combo (Eminence Texas Heat 12" speaker)
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
MXR M108 10 band EQ.
Dunlop Slash Crybaby Wah.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Maple fretboards totally different. I hear water and even lighter fluid is used to clean those.

Lighter fluid is highly recommended for all parts of the guitar.

whats with all the cleaning/lubing threads latley theres a few on the first page
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by steve!
whats with all the cleaning/lubing threads latley theres a few on the first page

poshguitars has been resurrecting a bunch of year old dead threads just to advertise a product that he sells.
i dont know how bad it is but i have used Olive Oil a few times to clean up the fretboard and it worked out really great and it gave a good shine for almost a month before it faded, i made sure i rubbed off all the oil with a paper towel leaving no mess behind.

i only did this twice so im not sure if its the way to go but it worked and cleaned the board better than anything else i ever tried.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
i have a jackson dk2m, does anyone know if its coated? (i guess it is)
also since this is my 1st maple fretboard guitar, any more help on cleaning maple frets would be helpful.
cheers
Set up:-
Kustom Sound 40W Guitar Amp
Marshall MG15 CD
Zoom 707 II (surprisingly good..)
VOX Tonelab ST
Jackson DK2M (Seymour duncan TB4 and the SD jazz)
Yeah the really fine steel wool is what I see the pros use. Really gets the gunk out of the side of your frets. No need to grind on it, just quick up and down to get the gunk off.
Quote by invision2212
i dont know how bad it is but i have used Olive Oil a few times to clean up the fretboard and it worked out really great and it gave a good shine for almost a month before it faded, i made sure i rubbed off all the oil with a paper towel leaving no mess behind.

i only did this twice so im not sure if its the way to go but it worked and cleaned the board better than anything else i ever tried.

On Rosewood or Ebony or similar exposed wood fingerboards, you should avoid any organic oils as they can rot over time and smell nasty! (lemon Oil is commonly used)
The oil is to replace lost moisture BTW and not intended to do the cleaning and should be applied sparingly with any excess removed. As many have mentioned '000' to '0000' steel wool worked in the direction of the grain will clean the pores of the wood. It can also be used across the tops of the frets (side to side) to buff them when you're done. A plastic credit card can also make a good scraper for removing sweat buildup (mung) from around the frets without damaging the wood. Naptha (commonly referred to as lighter fliud) can aolso disolve sweat build up but be careful of the fumes and open flames@!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jun 5, 2009,