Ok, Here's the deal. Please take the time to read through this as hard as it may be cause i need help and advice badly. I've been playing for about five months. I've enjoyed every minute of it but I have a question. It may be stupid and you guys may call me whatever. I had a teacher until about a month or two ago. He had a stroke and he is expected to make a full recovery. He is around and about again but i spoke with him and he said he wasn't going to be able to teach for a while. I'm fine with it because i want him to take all the time he needs to recover. I started looking for another teacher and i found one through a newspaper ad. Long story short, the new guy is friends with my old teacher and he indirectly told me he didn't want to teach me. Now im stuck without a teacher. I live in a really small town so teachers are hard to come by. I've been practicing the basics like chords and scales and working on a few songs. I love the guitar and i so desperately want to become proficient at it. I know these things take time and I am strapped in for the journey all the way but i have a question. You guys may or may not like Mattrach, the young guitarist on youtube but i do. I'm not a big shred fan but i like a couple of his songs. Im more of a fan of his proficiency. Is it realistic for me to be able to play about his level within about 5 years? I don't necessarily have to be on his level but in the ballpark would be nice. Would this be a realistic time frame? I know it's hard to put a time on these things but what is the general consensus? Thanks alot
My advice is to learn some songs, and look up lessons (there's heaps on this site, I like the Kristofer Dahl ones especially) until your teacher is able to teach again. I'm not sure who Mattrach is, but as for getting into his skill level in about 5 years time all comes down to how much practise you do. Simply, the more practise you do, the better you get.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
You ever heard of paragraphs?

Anyways...Like couch said...5 years is a long time. Anything's possible.
Fender Strat
Genz.Benz Black Pearl 1x12
Thanks for the replies. Yea sorry about my organization, i'll try to work on that. But anyway, the reason im asking is because i just turned 19. I really love classic rock and a select few shred songs, canon rock being the main one. Im just afraid that by the time i am skilled enough to play something like that, i'll have lost interest in those types of music and i do not want that to happen. Thanks again for the replies.
Quote by rockadoodle
Thanks for the replies. Yea sorry about my organization, i'll try to work on that. But anyway, the reason im asking is because i really love classic rock and a select few shred songs, canon rock being the main one. Im just afraid that by the time i am skilled enough to play something like that, i'll have lost interest in those types of music and i do not want that to happen. Thanks again for the replies.
Practice, dude. Practice.

Hell, after 2 1/2 years of playing I can play Canon Rock.