Hey guys

Is there any way to uncompress an mp3 file to convert it back to the original tracks that were recorded separately? i.e. bass, vocals, guitars and drums separate. Unfortunately due to a hard drive error the original files were lost and I would like to remix the music to get a better sound. If anyone can help me I would be very grateful

Cheers
Mark
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Sorry...it's a lossy format, meaning that data in the original file's tossed out for the sake of compression/space.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Sorry...it's a lossy format

Although its not because its lossy, these guys are still right (even with a WAV or FLAC mix). Its best to keep the original multi-track file safe and sound. Once you mix, you're done.

If you were really lucky and mixed drums hard left, bass hard right and guitar in center, you could *theoretically* pull some of the tracks with bleed through tools I don't think exist.

Sorry buddy, I feel for you. I've had that same thing happen with my band Glass Cannon, it absolutely sucks.
Last edited by bryanhelmig at Apr 13, 2008,
I swear I've seen this exact thread in this forum a couple months ago. The guy wanted to seperate bass, drums, guitars, and vocals, and it was because of a hard drive error.
It appears you need some type of uncompressor perhaps. but yeah, no way to do it. soz, have to record again. Backups next time perhaps.
Cheers for the replies guys, wil check with the studio as they may have a copy
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??