I was thinking that instead of learning from a book like Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, I could just learn some hard solo's(MoP, Crazy Train, Eruption, SCOM to start with, ect.). I would learn some soloing licks, they would would influence my style, and I could play like that, instead of just being able to play hard things, the result of the book. Any reason not to do that? Any kind of drawback?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Yes.

When you have an exercise, you can say, "If I can play this at 150 bpm by Friday I'll be happy." Then a week later, maybe you'll want to play at 170, and a week later, 200.

However, you won't be happy until you can play your favorite song up to speed.

If you can deal with that, then by all means play real songs. Else, do some exercises.

Moreover, not all techniques are covered extensively in songs. You may just want to isolate your multi-finger tapping and focus on that, for example.
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Apr 12, 2008,
you don't learn the music theory and mechanics involved to write your own licks. I would suggest doing both TBH
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Quote by mydogpoops
I was thinking that instead of learning from a book like Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar, I could just learn some hard solo's(MoP, Crazy Train, Eruption, SCOM to start with, ect.). I would learn some soloing licks, they would would influence my style, and I could play like that, instead of just being able to play hard things, the result of the book. Any reason not to do that? Any kind of drawback?

there is nothing wrong with that at all. And actually there is alot you will get out of it.

Your learning technique, developing your ear, learning to play with feel, and learning phrasing.

No drawbacks whatsoever. All positive things to get out of that. Definitely no reason not to do it.

btw dont just learn hard solos.... learn good solos.

if you do decide to work with some exercise books. I would strongly recommend balancing that with playing some actual music.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 12, 2008,
That's good for a little while to get used to different fingerings and stuff, but after a while you should start on some actual theory, unless you can learn really good by ear, lol.

-g13
Do both. Best of both worlds.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
those arent exactly hard solos
especially the crazy train solo
lol
if you want hard
try an instrumental
some yngwie or some satch
playing their songs are great ways to practice

good luck
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Do both. Best of both worlds.
seconded
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination