DEAL WISE. not quality wise. and this isnt what i think this is me asking a question. no flames please

I was at guitar center today and tried a few ss amps and tube amps fun time. anyways, I love muse and i get my tone with a Zvex Fuzz Factory through my clean channel. I was wondering, considering i dont want the "natural overdrive" from tubes, would it be better to get a good solidstate with a good EQ and no digitalness? Because i need a higher watt amp than what i got and im starting to gig with my band. i dont have a budget at all yet but im looking at $400 absolute max. if i'd just be using fuzz factory through clean then is there a point in a tube amp?

oh i play muse style stuff if your wondering my style. like them in absolution kinda...

thanks.

EDIT: I know the MG and Line 6 suck so disregard them if you were going to think i wanted those

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by CryingAlone at Apr 12, 2008,
Solid states aren't good for much in comparison to a good tube amp. get a tube amp and the fuzz factory, you'll be able to more.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Solid states aren't good for much in comparison to a good tube amp. get a tube amp and the fuzz factory, you'll be able to more.
Can you please tell me why just so i know rather than just knowing what you said? oh and if i do get a tube whats a good one to run my fuzz through on the clean?

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
Quote by CryingAlone
Can you please tell me why just so i know rather than just knowing what you said? oh and if i do get a tube whats a good one to run my fuzz through on the clean?

Something 30 watts or above if you'll be gigging with it.
Gotta have some headroom.
because solid states in general are good for cleans, fuzzish (not as good as a pedal through a tube amp) sounding stuff, and crazy amounts of metal type distortion, which still doesn't sound as good as a tube amp.
Peavey VK 112 sounds good for you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I was reading something the other day about pre amps and amps and whether or not they should be tube. So I have concluded, a tube pre-amp into a good SS is a good choice.
And apparently the worst combination is SS pre into Tube amp. But it's really on a case by case basis.
Quote by oneblackened
because solid states in general are good for cleans, fuzzish (not as good as a pedal through a tube amp) sounding stuff, and crazy amounts of metal type distortion, which still doesn't sound as good as a tube amp.
Peavey VK 112 sounds good for you.

Isnt that $580?

btw I'm only going to be using the fuzz factory, and then sometimes a delay pedal for solos.

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
for 400 your gonna want the soildsate, I mean tube sounds a lot better but if your gigging do you want to bring something that expensive with you? Also you want balls and for that cash it's gonna be hard to find a tube. Get something like the 100watt 2X12 Fender Frontman or the Fender FM 212DSP 100 Watt 2x12 Frontman with DSP Effects I mean there cheap sound good loud and good clean tones.
Quote by Chica
for 400 your gonna want the soildsate, I mean tube sounds a lot better but if your gigging do you want to bring something that expensive with you? Also you want balls and for that cash it's gonna be hard to find a tube. Get something like the 100watt 2X12 Fender Frontman or the Fender FM 212DSP 100 Watt 2x12 Frontman with DSP Effects I mean there cheap sound good loud and good clean tones.

Fuzz Factory+fenderfrontman would that sound good for muse and that sort of tones? I'm using humbuckers not single coils btw

Emotion = true music

Gear

Vantage 718dt-1
Epi Special II
Crate V Series 212 18w
Fuzz Factory
MXR Phase 90
^The FMs are almost as bad as Spiders and the like, steer clear.

I think really the main reason to get a tube amp if your tone is coming from a pedal is volume. If you're using a 100 watt solid state at gigging volumes, it's not going to sound nearly as good as a 30 or 50 watt tube amp at the same volume.
Quote by oneblackened

Meh, not very many people would be able to tell the difference soundwise between a quality transistor amp or a quality valve amp. The only way you could probably tell is if you played the amps. A good preamp would sound just fine through a transister amp.

Quote by 3lusiv3
I was reading something the other day about pre amps and amps and whether or not they should be tube. So I have concluded, a tube pre-amp into a good SS is a good choice.
And apparently the worst combination is SS pre into Tube amp. But it's really on a case by case basis.

The Marshall 3203 has that combination and it sounds quite killer.

It almost sounds like a Super Lead.

What I find kind of annoying about tone is that it's ridiculously opinionated. So much, in fact, that IMHO, you can never be right about what better tone is.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by KingJustinian25
my zoom into my SS crate > 99% of cheap tube combos

lol
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Money wise, the Roland Cube's are your best bang for buck I believe but after that its what sounds best to you.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Well, since no one else mentioned it...

This should be in GG&A!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.