Im decent at legato, ill be doing stuff like running through scales horizontally, or just running up and down vertically

But it still doesnt sound like Satch's legato licks

Any tips, or techniques?
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
When you're playing something, don't take your finger off the first note you played untill you need to use it again (i.e. probably the 4th or 5th note after that.).
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
HAHA

I know that, thats like a basic technique you learn in like, your 1st month of learning guitar
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Quote by Teh GIR
HAHA

I know that, thats like a basic technique you learn in like, your 1st month of learning guitar

I don't know then, lol. I hardly ever play stuff with legato....
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Try something like this:

g----------------------5---------------
d----------------5h7h9---9p7p5h7h9
a--5h7h9p7p5h7h9--------------------------

Play a short, fast roll or run, then hold a single note for a moment, then fast again, etc. Of course there's a whole lot more to Satch's playing than this, but to me this is pretty Satch-ish.

Basically just listen to a lot of his music, learn some of his songs, and start adding that kind of stuff into your own playing style.
Thanks...

I do do the pausing on certain notes, etc.

But sometimes when i end it on a note, it will sound bad, like unfinished

Im sure there is some theory to it..
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
^You're talking about resolution. Try ending on the root note of the scale you're playing from. Although, even if you end on the correct note, if you were just playing random notes from the scale before that, you wouldn't have built up any tension to resolve, so it'll still sound bad. It's a theory issue, but it's also a phrasing issue, and really the only ways to make your phrasing better is to listen to artists with great phrasing, and to try to mix that in with your own playing.
Satriani is a master at phrasing. Just try different notes until it sounds right, I know that sounds noob-ish. But figure out what you want to do, then improvise.
What he said ^

I had the same problem....like a few days ago. I resolved my licks to the root note and played them faster. They flowed nicer and sounded more complete after i did that.
lol your sig owns. Sad, funny, and true xD

Don't forget to throw in some pinch Harmonics in etc or a Whammy spank if you have a tremolo. Just to change things up.
Quote by which ones pink
^You're talking about resolution. Try ending on the root note of the scale you're playing from. Although, even if you end on the correct note, if you were just playing random notes from the scale before that, you wouldn't have built up any tension to resolve, so it'll still sound bad. It's a theory issue, but it's also a phrasing issue, and really the only ways to make your phrasing better is to listen to artists with great phrasing, and to try to mix that in with your own playing.

Thanks you, i think that answers my question.

could you end it on an octave or harmonic of the root?
Mesa Boogie DC5
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Tips: Dont pick when you change strings on decending runs. Try and work in odd numbers of note on each string, like 5s or 7s.