I don't really like either one. My favorite shapes besides the strat and super strat are the Rhoads and Kelly
V, but I don't think we're supposed to have VS threads.
EDIT: Or maybe thats just in the pit. idk.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Firebird, I find it much more comfortable to play and the mini humbuckers have an awesome tone to them.
Schecter C-1 Elite
Gretsch 5120
Fender Ultra-Chorus Amp
Vs. I find them very comfortable to play, and I plan to eventually get an Ibanez Rocket Roll.

Firebird VIIs are fine, but Firebird Vs and IIIs look so bland.
Firebird. The Firebird VIIs are classic, and the look is a very nice cross between retro and modern.
Firebird.. Their pretty awesome and they look cool, espessialy the sunburst ones.
Firebird. I wish they still showed up on the Gibson site. They better not stop making them.
Set Up

Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Fender Princeton Chorus Amp
Fender Acoustic 12 String
Samick Acoustic 6 String
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by clsscrckr91
Firebird. I wish they still showed up on the Gibson site. They better not stop making them.
Huh? They're still there, along with Explorers, etc., under "Designer."
firebird- they feel a lot better, in some cases look cooler, and you can sit down with them.
Im sort of leaning towards the flying v for these reasos:

-When I play I am almost always standing up.
-Sitting down with the V does'nt seem that difficult.
-On the one I would be getting compared to the bird, it looks much, much better.
-I love how I would be able to get to the lower frets easier than any other guitar I have ever played.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Hmm, Firebird. (I do like the flying V too but I like Firebird)

I actually would chose a Les Paul but that isn't a option.

Well the body shape will fit better on your leg when sitting down, compared to a V.

I like the Firebird VII's because of the 3 mini humbuckers and the Tremolo, although you can't dive bomb it, it makes a "ok" tremolo for bluesy stuff.

The neck is too thin for me and that is why I bailed out of my monthly payments on it and went with a Les Paul. BUT if you like the really really thin necks then the firebird is great.

I found that the Firebirds actually make really good "all around/all genre" guitar, you can play anything from country to metal on one. SO I would highly recommend the Firebird VII (red).
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Definitely the firebird. I don't like the V.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Reversed Firebird is awesome to play, but the unique look is a bit settled. Gibson V is a mediocre design; original and innovative, but the newer Vs are such lookers.
No man is your friend, no man is your enemy, but every man is your teacher.

When he asked for John Myung, John Myung said:"Who the hell is John Myung?"

Proud User of Ibanez, Korg, Rocktron, ENGL
V! and i dont find my V hard to play sitting down at all i just adjust the strap real high
Firebird. The V is the worst possible guitar form in terms of comfort ( no wangcaster references, please). The 'bird has a nicer sound thanks to the 3 mini-humbuckers. If you can get a VII, that is!
Last edited by Mike! at Apr 13, 2008,
Hey guys, listen. I am not getting the Firebird VII if I decide I like that one better than the V. Too much money. If I would get the firebird it would be this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Firebird-Studio-Guitar?sku=517674
(in black)

This would be the Flying V I would get:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Flying-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=517330
(in white)
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
I kinda like Flying V's, although I've never played so...
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Firebird VII! Such a beauty!
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Firebird VII! Such a beauty!
I never said Firebird VII. If I got a firebird it would be the studio one.
My Albums

YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

last.fm
tumblr
I've never played a Firebird but I can vouch for the V being great, uncomfortable sitting down but great tone and trhey play nicely too. If possible, try them both out first.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Hmm, ok then. I would normally say, "SAVE up some more and get the TOP of the line Firebird, and not the cheapest Gibson Firebird." BUT I am only thinking that so about the studio I would say, "Go to the guitar store find one in black, play it (A LOT), If you like it then buy it, and for a bonus I would say get another humbucker and have it installed and all the covers removed. WOW! That thing would look killer KILLER KILLER, if you did that.

*imagine* Three full sized black humbuckers with the covers removed on a Black firebird! Wow...
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Last edited by Benguitar2 at Apr 13, 2008,
^^^ I can tell you are a bit of a Firebird fan

TS, I must say the two guitars you have chosen to compare are practically polar opposites in terms of sound. Modern flying Vs have high output PU's (ceramic magnets) and have a very biting, "hot" sound, whereas the Firebird has low-output humbuckers which sound mellow, bright, and twangy. It's a matter of choice between the sounds really, IMO they both sound great, although different.

Comfort-wise, the Firebird feels awkwardly balanced and proportioned sitting and standing. The V feels awkwardly proportioned sitting and standing. But like myself and my beloved LP's frustrating upper fret access, its something you get used to after playing it for a while, after which you begin to love the guitar even more for all its positive traits. I'm sure you'll decide which one you like best, then again you may find another guitar which you like better than the two of them
A friend just ordered a custom shop left handed firebird VII as a graduation gift for me. A little over the top, but hey I'm 8 times better than he is (not trying to be vain and egotistical in any way, but he is just not an amazing guitarist), and his family is absolutely ridiculously rich. He has three custom shop reissue Les Pauls including a 1956 goldtop. But aaanyways, the Firebird VII is simply my dream guitar. It's versatility and sheer... well, how to put this? Sexyness!!... is incredible. I must admit that I am a huge fan of the ceramic humbuckers used in the flying v and exlporer guitars, and if we were speaking of a korina flying v, because of sheer value I might choose the V. But in terms of tone, versatility, sustain, and looks, I choose the Gibson firebird.
Member of the Single Coils are for Real Men group
Member of the Lefties Unite Group
they both are good, i think every Gibson is great, but xplorers and LP studio (i hate 'em)
Firebirds, i like the mini humbuckers
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince