Page 1 of 2
Ok, so for some reason I've been thinking about this today.

I think I have a pretty plain, flat accent. There's nothing special about it. I'm from central Kentucky, not the rural areas.

Would people from New Jersey or Scotland or somewhere think I have a strange accent?
Signature temporarily empty
Audiofile?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Audiofile?

Ehhh...I don't really have anything to record it with.
Signature temporarily empty
Hey, are there any Welsh folk on here? I've always wanted to hear an authentic Welsh accent and never had the opportunity. I've built it up in my mind that it's this wondrous, magical sound, but I must hear it to be sure.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys

I think I have a pretty plain, flat accent. There's nothing special about it. I'm from central Kentucky, not the rural areas.

Would people from New Jersey or Scotland or somewhere think I have a strange accent?

Of course. Not so sure about NJ, but Scotland for sure.
The same way that you find their accent strange, they find yours.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I've always kind of wondered that, as well.

Because, while my accent isn't a thick Southern accent, I do occasionally slip up and have a few drawls. Other than that, it's more or less just an average US accent, I guess.

I've always wondered if people from other places would be able to tell I'm Southern, or if they had different guess.

And, no, I don't have any real way of recording. Sorry. =/
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
i have a very hard to detect, but still there, Texan accent
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Do californians have an accent? This perplexes me.
I've tape recorded myself speaking to see if I have an accent, very faint Philadelphia/New Jersey-ish accents occasionally come out.
Us Argentinians all have the same exact accent when we speak English. In a way it makes sense.... but its funny how that happens.

I cant spot Canadians =(.

Uk/european accent is cool but sometimes hard to follow. I watch that show Never Mind the Buzzcocks but something i get lost.

Anywho.
Quote by imgooley
Do californians have an accent? This perplexes me.
yea, but we talk like people in the movies, so its the right accent.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by fallenangel20
I've always kind of wondered that, as well.

Because, while my accent isn't a thick Southern accent, I do occasionally slip up and have a few drawls. Other than that, it's more or less just an average US accent, I guess.

I've always wondered if people from other places would be able to tell I'm Southern, or if they had different guess.

And, no, I don't have any real way of recording. Sorry. =/

Same here, but mine's a bit more pronounced. I can record if you guys want.
Nope, no sig here.
if i could hear it, i could tell you. otherwise i have no idea what i would think of your accent.

im from southeast pennsylvania, and i think my accent is pretty plain. but who knows, people from other areas probably find it weird. i thinks it probably like a mix of philadelphia and pa dutch accent. so actually, its probably weird.
Everywhere I go people can tell I'm from Pittsburgh. So I guess everyone has an accent, we just get used to hearing ours.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by Zugunruhe
yea, but we talk like people in the movies, so its the right accent.

and the "right" American English accent was based off of the Great Lakes region

we talk like the TV
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Pabli7o
Us Argentinians all have the same exact accent when we speak English. In a way it makes sense.... but its funny how that happens.

Uk/european accent is cool but sometimes hard to follow. I watch that show Never Mind the Buzzcocks but something i get lost.

Anywho.

I'm Argentinian and my English accent is different because I also lived and learned English in Israel.
I'm special
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

i went to the bahamas and asked this guy if there were any music shops nearby jus to check out what they have down there and im from virginia. i dont think i have much of an accent but i only have a few words that i say differetn like 'minners' (minnows) 'sammich' (sandwich) and a couple others i cant think of but music is not one of them. the guy thought i was saying buisiness. wut the hell. how can u confuse music with buisness
Do us Canadians sound weird to Americans? I've only been to the northern states a long time ago, but I had always wondered if there's that much of a difference.
Quote by Von.
Do us Canadians sound weird to Americans? I've only been to the northern states a long time ago, but I had always wondered if there's that much of a difference.

not weird, but i can usually spot a canadian accent. certain words just sound different.
i don't think i have an accent, i live in Toronto and i sound like someone who lives in a north american city, but my cousins insist i have an accent, they're from atlantic Canada, they pronounce golf galf, the say eh at the end of every other sentence and they draw out the a sound in words with ar, like staarted or apaart.

you probably sound funny to someone from brooklyn or something like that
Quote by angus is god
Everywhere I go people can tell I'm from Pittsburgh. So I guess everyone has an accent, we just get used to hearing ours.

I'm from pittsburgh as well. I dont think I have an accent, though i met a few New Jersey people the other day dn could hear a bit of New Yorker in their voices. I also met a south african woman last week. She actually had a very beautiful voice. She talked so softly, at first i thought it was australian.

But im from the burg so i can say YUNZ and ruff (for roof) and iggle (for eagle).
Quote by daytripper75
if i could hear it, i could tell you. otherwise i have no idea what i would think of your accent.

im from southeast pennsylvania, and i think my accent is pretty plain. but who knows, people from other areas probably find it weird. i thinks it probably like a mix of philadelphia and pa dutch accent. so actually, its probably weird.

I think you live by me or my school? Palletown road sounds way familiar? Is it by Bethlehem?

Also, what do European people ( Women ) think of American accents?
Quote by Seef
I think you live by me or my school? Palletown road sounds way familiar? Is it by Bethlehem?

Also, what do European people ( Women ) think of American accents?

hahahahahahahaha. no no no. Pallet Town. its the town you start at in the original pokemon games. lol.

but i do live in PA. so its ok.
Quote by Pabli7o

That's because Canadians don't really have a very noticeable accent. The only Canadians with noticeable accents are those from the east coast (Specifically Newfoundland).
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by daytripper75
hahahahahahahaha. no no no. Pallet Town. its the town you start at in the original pokemon games. lol.

but i do live in PA. so its ok.

Haha man. I thought that but then was like nahhh he must live by Quakertown or something.
Quote by Seef
Haha man. I thought that but then was like nahhh he must live by Quakertown or something.

haha. nope. i live in lancaster.
Quote by urik
I'm Argentinian and my English accent is different because I also lived and learned English in Israel.
I'm special

roll an R ... or.... didn't happen.......
In Argentina i had a friend who came from Israel when she was 8 or something like that, and her and her sisters couldn't roll the R. it was funny for immature 7 graders.
Quote by Pabli7o
roll an R ... or.... didn't happen.......
In Argentina i had a friend who came from Israel when she was 8 or something like that, and her and her sisters couldn't roll the R. it was funny for immature 7 graders.

Rolling R's isn't that hard..
Now say his name.....
Quote by thewho65
I've tape recorded myself speaking to see if I have an accent, very faint Philadelphia/New Jersey-ish accents occasionally come out.

Do us new jersians have accents? Ive been living in NJ pretty much my whole life i woudnt find my accent different since it's pretty fast paced like most people.
Quote by mynamesedson
Do us new jersians have accents? Ive been living in NJ pretty much my whole life i woudnt find my accent different since it's pretty fast paced like most people.

Nop, but your wooter ice and wawa hoagie stores might!
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1

I couldn't live without WaWa...

I'm going to bed.
I have whats called a 'midwestern' accent, which basically means no accent whatsoever. I have a low, boring monotone.

Interestingly, I find that when I speak to people who have an accent, after I've spoken to them for awhile their accent tends to wear off on me.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by Lord Of Donkeys

I'm assuming you're from Lexington or thereabouts, you probably have a more southern sounding accent than you think, I'm from Louisville and people from the west coast and the northeast always tell me I have a southern accent, where really I don't think I do.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by lordofthefood1

what are the chances! i just came back from wawa a few hours ago LOL, after i finished gigging at battle of the bands me and my friend went to wawa straight, then ritas

Wawa has amazing ice tea's.
The accents in America are southern, texan, minnesotian and possibly some other but I have never noticed any other type of accents. Where I am from, from what an english professor told me, we speak english with no accent. Although I myself tend to emphasize the wrong syllables in words for some reason and I have been told I have weird annunciation(sp?).
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by dannyniceboy
The accents in America are southern, texan, minnesotian and possibly some other but I have never noticed any other type of accents. Where I am from, from what an english professor told me, we speak english with no accent. Although I myself tend to emphasize the wrong syllables in words for some reason and I have been told I have weird annunciation(sp?).

there are a lot of American accents, theres a few west coast accents, three southern accents that I can think of, a couple of different northeastern accents, etc. It sort how some people think theres only one English accent when in fact there are several.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Page 1 of 2