Hi everyone, i decided i want a gaming computer, ( we could say gaming) just something stronger than my laptop

I would lie to know what you all think of this set up ( i ordered all parts and a friend od mine is building it for me) it will serve for gaming and as my computer in college, i signed up for a 3year computer course!

Asus M2N-SLI Motherboard CPU Bundle - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Processor 3.20GHz (DUAL)

*Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM
( I also have a 250GB HDD i wil add)

*EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

*Apevia / Iceberg / 680-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm Fan / 20/24 Pin / SLI-Ready / SATA-Ready / Blue / Power Supply

*Apevia Silver X-Cruiser Case ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Audio and Firewire Ports

*OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB (4GB) PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)

*Cables Unlimited UV Reactive Mode Kit with Dual Tube UV CCFL Lights, Fans, Floppy Cable and ATA133 Cable

*D-Link WDA-2320 PCI Wireless Network Adapter - 108Mbps, 802.11g, RangeBooster Technology

and my dvd-rw i have in my other old junk computer

So ratethis tell me what you think!!!!!
its a solid setup, but get an intel processor and change your motherboard to suit. you also only need 2GB of ram

EDIT: and ive never heard of that powersupply brand either which is probably a bad thing, get a corsair or antec PSU
the 4gb of ram was really cheap so I said why not, :P less than 100$ for 4 gigs of ram, couldnt go beside it
yeah, if thats the case you may as well

but definitely get one of the new intel dual core processors man theyre way better, maybe an e8400 or better? depending on what you can afford
Yeah, shoulda got something along the Intel Q6600 or maybe a core 2 duo. The ram's a little overkill also, but if you payed less than 100$, who cares .

The rest is shwank.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
well I was looking for budget because in all i endend ip paying 1300, with shipping and taxes and all :P will upgrade it in the next year i imagine since its already ordered and shipping in progress
I would have gotten an Intel processor (and obviously an Intel-compatible mobo).

As for the power supply, I bought some $30, 600-watt no-name brand PSU. It's worked fine for close to a year. That can't be guaranteed though, so make sure the company is reputable.

Overall it seems like a solid rig, though.
Last edited by Namenotchosen09 at Apr 12, 2008,
I bought a 2 year prolonged warranty , instant replacement for it, from tigerdirect, people I know never had problems with them from what I heard
Quote by Namenotchosen09
I would have gotten an Intel processor (and obviously an Intel-compatible mobo).

As for the power supply, I bought some $30, 600-watt no-name brand PSU. It's worked fine for close to a year. That can't be guaranteed though, so make sure the company is reputable.

Overall it seems like a solid rig, though.

while it sounds like youre getting away with it, for future reference buying a no-name PSU is a VERY bad idea. In fact if you were only going to get one top of the line part for your PC it should be the PSU, its the heart of the system.

A crap PSU could a) stop working at anytime b) cook components with power surges c) provide inconsistent power and cause system instability.
Intel is deffinatly the way to go right now at least untill AMD releases there newest generation of chips hopefully they will have somthing new up there sleeves

also if your planning on running Xp it cant even utilize 4 gigs of ram so dont bother with that
Quote by Diamond Dave
while it sounds like youre getting away with it, for future reference buying a no-name PSU is a VERY bad idea. In fact if you were only going to get one top of the line part for your PC it should be the PSU, its the heart of the system.

A crap PSU could a) stop working at anytime b) cook components with power surges c) provide inconsistent power and cause system instability.

I agree for that but i did pay a good buck for mine i beleive close to 200-250$

so i beleive its not that bad

also i have an allergy for vista :P I have it on my laptop and boy do I hate It

it ended up cheaer for me (in a way) of getting 4GB than 2GB so i said hey why not
Quote by Ibanez69
Intel is deffinatly the way to go right now at least untill AMD releases there newest generation of chips hopefully they will have somthing new up there sleeves

also if your planning on running Xp it cant even utilize 4 gigs of ram so dont bother with that

I dunno the spider platform looks better then intels new one.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Now! will this computer easily run most modern game? example BF2142 maxed out ( game i intend to play) or will i have trouble
I bought a no-name 630W and it's been working fine for $25.

This comptuer will run most games maxed out, though it depends on what resolution you use. I only have the 8600GTS and I can run CoD4 maxed out at 1024x768 and I sometimes drop to 20 FPS, but it's rare and I don't think you should have a problem with anything, seeing as your video card is much better.
I almost forgot to mention, i will be using my 40 inch HDTV as a screen :P

i bought the adapters for DVI-D ( i beleive) to HD

i think i should get some nice shots out of that:P
actually i'm not quite sure, but i've already done it with my laptop through s-video out, wasnt that great ,

i guess ill try and see :P
8800GT will play cod4 maxed out at 1680x1050 (22inch widescreen res) without any noticeable slow downs in framerate

well im kind of guessing because i have an overclocked 8800GTS 512 but that doesnt even come close to slowing down so yours should be fine.
Quote by ferguson911
Is overclocking something very hard to do ? is it dangerous for my graphics card:O

could potentially fry it, yes. But if you do it right it'll will increase the performance. I wouldn't reccomend it unless you know what you're doing.