my mg sounds good though headphones, but crappy otherwise unless i crank it past 6 or 7 (which i cant do at home much--50watts...damn neighbors)...
short of replacing it (which i wanna do anyway), what can i do to make it sound better? i dont know much about gear, so maybe theres a pedal or something i could try?
i have an '04 epi Les Paul Classic, and an old epi accoustic with a Dean Markley soundhole pup, but mostly play the Les Paul...rock, metal, punk, etc...

the clean doesnt sound too bad, but the distortion sounds like **** unless i really crank the volume, and even then....

ideas?
does it have an fx loop?
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
*sigh* not another one...

Step by step guide:

1) Find a fault with it that Marshall will recognise (sadly, sounding sh*t won't count)

2) If step 1) was successful, proceed to 3). If not, make a fault

3) Take back to shop, and ask for your money back.

4) Buy something like a Roland Cube 60.

5) Relax, you're no longer going to hell.
Quote by last_biscuit
*sigh* not another one...

Step by step guide:

1) Find a fault with it that Marshall will recognise (sadly, sounding sh*t won't count)

2) If step 1) was successful, proceed to 3). If not, make a fault

3) Take back to shop, and ask for your money back.

4) Buy something like a Roland Cube 60.

5) Relax, you're no longer going to hell.

you must have missed the part where he said "short of replacing it"

I would suggest getting a decent preamp pedal (ie. SansAmp) and putting it through the fx loop, if it has one
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by phatsack
you must have missed the part where he said "short of replacing it"

There is nothing he can do short of replacing it. I was being helpful.

Not to mentino this sort of thread has been done WAY too many times, and if I was feeling a bit meaner I'd have reported him for asking such a FAQ.
no fx loop
...and i like biscuit's approach, but the damn thing is 8yrs old, and bought on ebay....
Quote by primeguy31
no fx loop
...and i like biscuit's approach, but the damn thing is 8yrs old, and bought on ebay....

How much did you pay for it? You could try and cut your losses, and part-exhange it perhaps, not that you'd get much for it.

I know it's cruel, but you could put it in the classified ads section of your local newspapers for a price similar to what you paid for it.
ok, shortest thread ever...
sorry about the faq machine-gun repeater....

anyone wanna buy an mg?
Your best bet to sell it is to sell it as a beginners amp in a classified ad like I said.

Any shop would give you a really bad rate if you sell it to them. Or if you believe in karma, you could donate it to the music department of a local school...then again, if you believe in Karma then you'd be scared of the retaliation for harming those poor kids' ears

Good luck with your new quest, and unless things change drastically there will ALWAYS be people out there willing to buy a Marshall MG without researching it first
Quote by last_biscuit

Good luck with your new quest, and unless things change drastically there will ALWAYS be people out there willing to buy a Marshall MG without researching it first

ouch....that hit close to home....

but now i'm wiser for the mistake i made....
Quote by primeguy31
ouch....that hit close to home....

but now i'm wiser for the mistake i made....

I just went through the same thing and got hosed as well. Got a Vox AD15VT. 100x better amp for $20 more.