Hey UGers. So today I noticed the neck on my bass was bending in a little bit so that the strings are closer to the low frets than the higher ones. It's not bad but it's a little noticeable visually, not audibly. Is there any way to fix this? Since I'm guessing there isn't, how can I stop this from happening even further?
I Like a bit of bend in my guitars so i can control wether the notes go flat or sharp when i trash it, by bending the neck, can even get tremolo affects.

and you can fix this by adjusting the truss rod in the neck to tighten or losen it
ya like delirium said your neck is supposed to do that to an extent, so dont worry about it. but holy **** do not try and do bends or tremelo by bending the neck. You can do so much damage its really not worth the risk.
Quote by bluntfoot
ya like delirium said your neck is supposed to do that to an extent, so dont worry about it. but holy **** do not try and do bends or tremelo by bending the neck. You can do so much damage its really not worth the risk.

Not if you do it right.

Make a v with your picking hand's thumb and forefinger, and place either each side of the neck join at the front of the bass, applying pressure, and then apply a little pressure behind the nut with your other hand. You don't need to do a crazy amount to get a nice bend.
As Delirium said, often basses need to have a little neck relief in order to be properly intonated. If you are really worried about it, pay for your bass to be professionally set up next time you change your strings. They will be able to make sure your bass has the correct amount of relief so taht it is properly intonated.

You could do it yourself, but from what I can infer, you have little experience with the truss rod (this is what stops the neck bending from the force of the strings), so I would recommend getting someone with experience to do it for you.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Might it be something to do with the strings. If you leave the strings on too long they start to bend the neck I think.

Basically, if I were you I would go and get some new strings (if they are quite old) and have them done professionally fitted.

At my local music shop they did it for £10 + strings including a tidy up. Not exactly what I call a rip-off.
BlahBlahBlah
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Not if you do it right.

Make a v with your picking hand's thumb and forefinger, and place either each side of the neck join at the front of the bass, applying pressure, and then apply a little pressure behind the nut with your other hand. You don't need to do a crazy amount to get a nice bend.

So youre not supposed to push on the upper horn of the body and at the nut?

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by ARandomBassist
Might it be something to do with the strings. If you leave the strings on too long they start to bend the neck I think.

Basically, if I were you I would go and get some new strings (if they are quite old) and have them done professionally fitted.

At my local music shop they did it for £10 + strings including a tidy up. Not exactly what I call a rip-off.

Strings get weaker as they age, not stronger.

What you are suggesting is that the metal somehow rallies to the attack of the heinous woodyneckness, and fights back?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Jonnomainman

doing that puts uneven stress on the heel
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Jonnomainman

Nope. Either side. This distributes the pressure over more evenly. If you didn't, then liken it to ripping out a floorboard. Put the lever on one end, you get more force, and the process is a lot more violent, and the floorboard could splinter. Do it at both ends, you get it out nice and cleanly.
Alrighty thanks team. I had a friend who's Ibanez really did bend in to the point of un-playability, and I got all paranoid when I noticed mine had a bit of a bend too...