I have found a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany Guitar for $650. The guy bought it online somewhere and has never used it. The curious thing is that it has no case. I checked all the online vendors I could find and they all sell the guitar for $850 with a case. The case costs $180 new.

Can anyone find a place where this guitar is sold without a case?
He might have just sold the case to someone else or lost it or something. It sounds like a good deal but if it were me I would save up a bit more for a studio or something.
Quote by umbrellacorp
tom morello that bitch

^ Talking about how high to play your guitar.
Honestly i would save up for a LP Studio, or an SG Standard

Cause the Vintage Mahogany doesnt have a maple top, which gives LP's their signature tone.

Without the maple top, and since the body is very think and dense, it will sound very dark and very warm.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
that is a studio...and it has better pickusp, I think.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I've played epiphone les pauls and prs's in the same price range and just played the vintage les paul today. It seemed notically better and for just $100 or so more it seems like the way to go. I'm thinking I may go with this a Hagstrom Super Swede:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Super-Swede-Electric-Guitar?sku=513342
It has a maple top and has pretty solid reviews. Then again a lot of guitars do.
Quote by Teh GIR

Cause the Vintage Mahogany doesnt have a maple top, which gives LP's their signature tone.

Without the maple top, and since the body is very think and dense, it will sound very dark and very warm.

He might like it though.

Some of the older Les Paul Customs didn't have a maple top and they sounded pretty killer.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i have a vintage mahogany gibson and i love it. its pickups are better than the other studios. definitely a good guitar. plus i like buying guitars that are different than the average black and white so i bought one. but i really like it
I have a thought...

Don't triple post, it's against the rules.

Music Man guitars are pretty solid I suppose. Not my cup of tea.

Just go try out a bunch of guitars and see what you like and don't like.

that way, you don't have to rely on a guitar forum filled with mixed opionions to recommend you a guitar. 'Kay?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I know. That's the most common piece of advice to give. I went to a guitar center a few weeks ago, but didn't get to try every guitar that I'm thinking about buying now.

I'm wondering why exactly people like or dislike the guitars I've mentioned (sound, looks, feel, appreciation value?).
Quote by hthedinga
I know. That's the most common piece of advice to give. I went to a guitar center a few weeks ago, but didn't get to try every guitar that I'm thinking about buying now.

I'm wondering why exactly people like or dislike the guitars I've mentioned (sound, looks, feel, appreciation value?).

Because people have different tastes. Not everybody is going to like a Gibson guitar just like not everybody likes macaroni and cheese.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
just like not everybody likes macaroni and cheese.

Eugh, Disgusting. And with that said, it really proves H4T3BR33D3R's point.
The Hagstrom is a nice guitar. High quality, great sound, very attractive price. And the Super Swede is that little bit different with the Fender scale length and the coil tap. There's lots of good things being said about Hagstroms these days.

--- D
Quote by Swat Man
i have a vintage mahogany gibson and i love it. its pickups are better than the other studios. definitely a good guitar. plus i like buying guitars that are different than the average black and white so i bought one. but i really like it

+1
I ended up buying it. Overall, it's a great guitar, but has some buzzing and comes out of tune a bit. I'll have to take it to the shop. Any idea how much I should be looking at spending to get it fixed up?
i have this gibson vintage mahogany and i love it. it gets bad press just because its less money than a standard 2500$ gibson, but it has burstbucker pickups and is a unique guitar, i like unique guitars and you always get noticed with one, especially one like this
Quote by Teh GIR

Not true. The original Gibson Les Pauls back in the 50s started off with a single mahogany body with no maple cap. The maple was really an aesthetic choice by Gibson due to its flamed qualities combined with a burst finish.

Yes the mahogany only body will produce a darker tone but the combination of the Burstbucker pickups and the open finish should compensate the high end clarity. But the claims that its not the original Gibson sound is totally unfounded and wrong.

Anyhow, the Vintage Mahogany Les Paul should have come with a Gibson hardcase if it is a new stock. The seller is not being totally honest if he claims otherwise. All the VM LPs I've seen in shops came with a hardcase.
eat sleep play guitar
I was interested in the vintage mahogany when I found a used faded SG special on craigslist. This one is very nice guitar and plays damn good. It's got SD pearly gates and SD alnico II pro pups in it.

Lucky me.

EDIT: Leave the macaroni and cheese out of it. I like that stuff.
Last edited by PanHead at May 15, 2008,
Quote by hthedinga
I've played epiphone les pauls and prs's in the same price range and just played the vintage les paul today. It seemed notically better and for just $100 or so more it seems like the way to go. I'm thinking I may go with this a Hagstrom Super Swede:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hagstrom-Super-Swede-Electric-Guitar?sku=513342
It has a maple top and has pretty solid reviews. Then again a lot of guitars do.

I think they're better than most low-end Gibsons, I know a couple of guitarists using them, and they have used guitars like Gibson Les Paul's for four times the money also so they must be great for the price if they choose to use their budget-priced Hagströms instead of very expensive Gibson.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.